Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Good second car ?

Views : 1376

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 3rd, 2019, 15:12   #1
slowprop

Default Good second car ?

Hi Guys,
I took early retirement recently and have been thinking about buying a second car. It would be used a few times a week for local journeys and would need to do a couple of 600 mile round trips a year on motorways.

I'd ideally like an older car with a bit of character so that I have another interest rather than just a car and have always liked the big Volvo estates. So I've been thinking that a 940 petrol automatic would be good. I'm not a mechanic though and there's the rub.

The plan would be to go for a really good example with not too many previous owners and with a documented service history. Also pay to have an engineer's inspection before purchasing. I would hope to be able to get a good one and avoid something that spends more time off the road than on it. Clearly that means spending more initially but probably worthwhile overall.

Do you guys think this is realistic or am I asking for a lot of trouble given my limited mechanical aptitude?

Thanks.
slowprop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to slowprop For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2019, 16:13   #2
psl
Master Member

Perfect second car. There are still low miles examples popping up with low miles. Always worth paying a little extra to get the best car. They are certainly cheaper to fix the the characterless modern cars that are full of electrics to go wrong.
psl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to psl For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2019, 16:24   #3
slowprop

Quote:
Originally Posted by psl View Post
Perfect second car. There are still low miles examples popping up with low miles. Always worth paying a little extra to get the best car. They are certainly cheaper to fix the the characterless modern cars that are full of electrics to go wrong.
Well yes that's what I am thinking. I can also insure it on a classic policy as my no claims is on my current nearly new car which my wife tends to hog. I've been having a look around. Not very much in my part of the country at the moment (Kent). Dont mind travelling a reasonable distance but hundreds of miles just to look is difficult. No hurry though. I'm sure something will come up.
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 16:52   #4
360beast
Go redblock or go home

I have had my 940 2.3 low pressure turbo auto for about 6 months now and I love it.

I got 32mpg this week so they can get a decent mpg, my previous daily was a 2003 Fabia VRS and I was averaging £100 a month on repairs. So far I have done the cambelt and replaced the discs and pads all round with brembo items, a service and a few other little bits and I have spent less than £200 on that lot! It has done 176k miles now and runs brilliantly. It has few issues here and there that need sorting but nothing major.

As a long distance cruiser a 940 is perfect for the job, I have done 250 miles non stop in mine and it was faultless and relaxing. I'm driving it to Germany this summer which is just over 500 miles and I'm not worried about it at all!

They are easy to work on due to the simplicity and massive amounts of space so you will probably find you end up fixing things yourself and getting some mechanical knowledge.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 17:03   #5
jonnyf90
Grumpy git born too late!

Late as possible 940 - 2.3 LPT being pick of the bunch.
If you don’t mind sacrificing mpg and boost (which I miss A LOT!) 960/V/S90 for its silky smooth 6 pot and oodles of class.
Both have plenty of space and refinement 👍

The 60s have more potential to be money pits but a well looked after example should see you well for 10,000s miles 👍

Cheers

2021 Škoda Octavia Estate L iV PHEV (Company)
jonnyf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jonnyf90 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 17:29   #6
XCR
Master Member

Hi.
Mines still available.
PM me if interested.
Thanks,
Mark.
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=289290
If unsold I'll be taking it to the Lake District for a weekend break at the end of the month.
I'd drive it anywhere.

Last edited by XCR; Jan 4th, 2019 at 17:34.
XCR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XCR For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 17:34   #7
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

940/960 would make a nice car.

Second car there are lots of cars you could pickup as a backup car
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 19:27   #8
slowprop

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR View Post
Hi.
Mines still available.
PM me if interested.
Thanks,
Mark.
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=289290
If unsold I'll be taking it to the Lake District for a weekend break at the end of the month.
I'd drive it anywhere.

Hi Mark
I'm getting a message saying I can't send PMs until I have 30 posts. Do you want to PM me with your number. I would be interested in finding out a bit more.
Robin
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 20:39   #9
slowprop

Thanksfor your help guys.
Today, I had a look at a 940 2 litre Wentworth, 1995 7 seater auto. It looked to be a solid car. A bit rougher around the edges than I wanted TBH. I think I need to see one or two more but today's was a decent benchmark if nothing else.

My ideal would probably be a well sorted 940, 2.3L petrol, auto, 5 seater with Aircon and leather seats.

I've done a couple of insurance quotations and it appears that on a classic policy the 2.3L. Sports edition and the 960 3 litre I saw on auto trader were quite a bit more to insure. I wouldn't let me get stop me buying the right car.

By the way who do you guys use for classic insurance. So far for me the best seems to be "it's classic car insurance"
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 21:23   #10
tofufi
Premier Member

For what it's worth,I use my 1990 740 for more miles than any of my other cars. It's also my newest car.

If anything, it's a bit too good to use as a second car IMO
tofufi is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post: