Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

White Smoke and Small oil Leak v40 T4 98 1.9

Views : 794

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 3rd, 2019, 15:19   #1
DavisV40T4

Question White Smoke and Small oil Leak v40 T4 98 1.9

I bought the car about 6 months ago 62,000 miles full service history new tyres and full tank of fuel not a mark on the body of the car and everything works perfectly in mint condition £400 the car is now at 70,000 and dew and Mot and service, But I've noticed I've the last few weeks slight oil leak under the car big dips is the best way to describe it and I am burning through a bit of oil keep having to top it up it was full when I bout the car and it has need to refills basically . But out inly has just started to leak I think it the oil return feed on the turbo is leaking, visable oil on the back side of the engine around the turbo any advice?

The other thing is since I bought the car I have been making full use of the 200bhp but when I put my foot down (3000-4000rpm) the car turns in to Thomas the Tank engine and produceds a nice white plume of smoke. Here's the thing my coolant is fine. And the is no drop in power.

Am I just leaking oil and is that a makeing the smoke or am I missing something, don't fancy doing the head gasket.

Any advice?

Last edited by DavisV40T4; Jan 3rd, 2019 at 15:31.
DavisV40T4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2019, 19:40   #2
Dippydog
Premier Member

General rule of thumb I've always gone by is Black smoke=fuel,Blue smoke=oil,White smoke=water.The colder temperatures of late can produce more white smoke due to condensation.In the vein is the car used a lot on short journeys?This will lead to water[again condensation]gathering in the exhaust which giving it plenty of revs will turn to white smoke as the exhaust pipe gets hotter.Just random thoughts with which others may disagree.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 17:37   #3
nickar

Have a look at my thread as I have done a bit of research based on my car using a bit of oil and smoking:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=290336

Based on what you have said, I think the leak you an see is not connected with the exhaust smoke. For extra smoke to come out of the exhaust, it has to be a leak that gets oil (or something else like water or excess fuel) into the combustion chambers. I therefore reckon it could be your valve stem seals as that appears to be the problem with my car at least.

Read this and see if the symptoms look familiar:

https://dannysengineportal.com/valve-stem-seal/
nickar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 20:50   #4
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisV40T4 View Post
when I put my foot down (3000-4000rpm) the car turns in to Thomas the Tank engine and produceds a nice white plume of smoke.
Most likely the seal on your turbo oil return pipe where it enters the block. When on boost it'll allow oil to spray onto the hot downpipe hence the plumes of white smoke you're seeing out the back. There's enough room for a second seal so for the sake of a few shekels fit two as the mating surface area of the pipe will most probably have a grove worn into it. Fit the seals to the pipe first then push into the block to prevent them going askew. A smear of Vaseline/silicone grease makes for easy fitting

Also fit a new paper gasket between the pipe and turbo.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Baffler For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 00:57   #5
V40T4R

Hi
As Baffler said, I installed two o-rings because there's enough room on engine block
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 11:22   #6
960kg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisV40T4 View Post
I bought the car about 6 months ago 62,000 miles full service history new tyres and full tank of fuel not a mark on the body of the car and everything works perfectly in mint condition £400 the car is now at 70,000 and dew and Mot and service, But I've noticed I've the last few weeks slight oil leak under the car big dips is the best way to describe it and I am burning through a bit of oil keep having to top it up it was full when I bout the car and it has need to refills basically . But out inly has just started to leak I think it the oil return feed on the turbo is leaking, visable oil on the back side of the engine around the turbo any advice?

The other thing is since I bought the car I have been making full use of the 200bhp but when I put my foot down (3000-4000rpm) the car turns in to Thomas the Tank engine and produceds a nice white plume of smoke. Here's the thing my coolant is fine. And the is no drop in power.

Am I just leaking oil and is that a makeing the smoke or am I missing something, don't fancy doing the head gasket.

Any advice?
My `98 T4 took absolute ages before the white condensation from the exhaust system disappeared when the entire system was then hot but it will take quite a few miles....especially this time of year.

Depends where under the engine the oil leak is ....if directly under the turbo then look up at the exhaust where it leaks and you should see all the centre part of the under pan wet with oil and as said it sprays on the hot exhaust when at full chat.....which you should not really do if you have a bad leak!

If the wetness is on the off side underneath on the back end of the engine then it will be the "O" rings on the oil cooler leaking ....which i had to replace also.

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:

Tags
help and advice, oil leak, v40, v40 1.9 t4 ph1