Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Audio question

Views : 723

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 13:03   #1
a15htn

Does the 8000 (i think) Premium series head unit have any kind of pre-amp output ?

The reason being I have an amp, which only seems to take pre-amp (phono) signals.

If the head doesn't 'DO' pre-amp is there any way I can use it ?

Jim,
'96 855-R (The Flying Wardrobe)
Old Jun 28th, 2002, 07:07   #2
paul_r

Not sure of the number, but the system I had in the V70R that I had was the one with three CDs in the head unit and the two little vertical handles to remove it from the dash.

This system could be fitted with the Dolby Surround, and has a 4 x 50 Watt power amp under the drivers seat, inboard.

If your car has the amp fitted (have a look), then this amp is (Alpine?) and DOES use phono level inputs. The trouble is, the amp does not have the normal phono plugs for connection to the head.

To connect into this amp (or head unit) you need to locate the din plug at the back of the head unit, or the one at the amp. This cable carries the phono level signals, and a +12V signal to turn the amp on.

You can get the connections to plug into this from Maplin, if you need the wiring diagram, let me know. I have it at home.
Old Jun 28th, 2002, 10:34   #3
a15htn

Hi Paul....
The model number is actualy 801 and it has a cassette head and a 6-disc player in the boot and "should" have an amp in th dash - the noise it pumps out I'm sure it has !

I would appreciate the wiring detail if you can sort it out for me.... its handy though 'cos my xtra amp is an Alpine (phono & din plug driven) too :)

Thanks in advance.

Jim,
Old Jun 28th, 2002, 11:06   #4
paul_r

That 801 rings a bell. I think that it has the same (6 pin?) DIN plug at the back for the amp. The Dolby output is on a separate plug, and another plug has just one wire for the tacho speed sensor (handy for when you plumb in your Sat Nav sys. (My mates call it SAD NAV!!!)

I have the diagram at home, but will try and look it out for you. The trouble is, I am offline for two weeks from today, but I might be able to get it here before then. Don't shoot me if I forget!

...It was the same with the ABS wiring, I had to reverse engineer that as well! Turns out the most of the ABS fails are the flexi wires to the front wheel sensors. £50 each at Volvo and £1 at the scrappy for another one. Why they make a big deal out of ABS beats me.

...and the same with the climate control, I had to reverse engineer that as well. At least the compressor and the gas was OK, just the wiring t!ts up.

Maybe I should come back to earth as a Volvo engineer?
Old Jun 28th, 2002, 11:43   #5
a15htn

So you might have a clue as to why my (totally useless) TRACS system has turned itself off permanently but the ABS is okay ? ;)

Following other discussions I was considereing leaving the Volvo amp in place AND piggy-backing my extra amp off the same pre-amped feed, as it's just to drive a sub. Whaddya thing ?

Jim,
Old Jun 28th, 2002, 12:06   #6
paul_r

Afraid it will be down to 'suck and see' with the two amps. I don't see too much of a problem though. Depends on loading, you may get earth loops (buzzing). May need to watch earthing of the amps to prevent this.

A few cars ago I had 1 x 1kW sub bass + 4 x 150 W amps for rest of speakers. At max tilt the headlights would go out with the beat of the music. You could not hear the rattly engine though.

The amp under the drivers seat had 4 x speaker outputs on one plug, along with the +12V (which I ran from the elec aerial supply of the new unit I fitted) plus another two on a small plug as I recall. I guess the small plug was for the tweeters on the dash.

I never had a TRACS problem, other than the fact that it was useless. I would suspect that it may well have something to do with the ABS. Does your ABS work OK? Try on grass for a laff, NOT your mother-in-laws best front lawn. The price of the P Zeros is enough to make anybody easy on the loud pedal.

I get my new V70XC tomorrow, look out for low flying Volvo in the forests around Aberdeen. Typical though, the forecast is rain, and lots of it.
Old Jun 29th, 2002, 19:13   #7
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Default RE: Audio question

there was a long thread in the 'general' forum (i think) on the audio for a v40 (called 'bass boxes'), where this was discussed.

different unit, but probably the same connection.

cheers

james

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote