Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S70 TDi owners - opinions please.

Views : 1169

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 00:51   #1
johndglynn

Default S70 TDi owners - opinions please.

Hi,
Am just about to go find a nice S70 TDi Auto for my father-in-law, want some honest feedback from owners as to their reliability and any common faults they might have.
Any information would be greatly appreciated, as you know what it's like when you sell things to your in-laws and they cause problems....don't go there.
Thanks
JG
johndglynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2002, 09:08   #2
Simon Linton
850/70 Register Keeper

Default RE: S70 TDi owners - opinions please.

S70s are no different from any other car, you'll find good ones and bad ones; most of the warning signs are well-documented in all the car mags.

If you've gone through those, then you're already well ahead of the game.

S models are less in demand than the estate, so command lower prices; try for the spoiler on the boot and mark down cars without it.

Headlamp wash-wipe cannot be retrofitted, so bear that in mind and work out what trim level you're after to save disappointment.

Half leather is usually the best option, provided it's leather on the outside and cloth in the middle.

If it's an auto, check the PNP switch on the box by shifting it from neutral to drive an looking for hesitation - actually, this can usually be sorted by simply shifting the lever about 20 times back and forward.

Manuals have a reversing light switch wear point, check for flickering lights in reverse - it's a cheap fix, but a good bargaining point.

Air con is a design fault on the model, if it's not working perfectly walk away or knock the price down £1,000 which is what a new evaporator will cost to fit.

It may of course only be leaking hoses, but you need to factor in the worst case.

Electrical problems are less on the 70 series cars than the 850s, but check all the windows etc. and look for warning lights on the dash (also look carefully to see if the bulb has been taped over or removed).

All the lights should come on then go out - if they don't then there's always another one.

The local Volvo dealership will be able to give you the car's service history from the ECU readouts, see if the vendor is happy to have this checked at your expense.
Simon Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2002, 18:02   #3
Networkguy

I have had one of these now since April last year and done about 45k miles in it.

I have never regretted buying it and it is going just as well as when I got it (if not better).

The biggest problem I found when I bought it was finding one in the dealer network without intergalactic mileage on it so it took me about 6 weeks to find one which turned out to be at my local dealer.

The only faults I have had were a front wheel bearing at 40k (warranty covered) and a new aerial mast.

As the others have said, the TDi is no different to any other S or V70 so any common faults are the same.

PS

Don't under estimate the power this car has under the bonnet. Whilst it may be an oil burner that makes more noise than its petrol brothers and sisters (although you would never know once it is rolling), it has some serious torque and once moving, can hold its head high with the best of them.
Networkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2002, 06:54   #4
johndglynn

Thanks guys - will buy at auction so won't get a test drive. The point about the air con is handy, thanks Simon. I know they have the grunt so am happy to put the father-in-law in one - he has a Jeep 4L V8 at the minute and I am promising him no lack of power and 66% off his fuel bill, can't be bad for under 8 grand.

Cheers

John
johndglynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2002, 10:28   #5
sheerwater
Master Member

V70 tdi no problems in 3 years. 33k so a real young one !!!! mpg up to 55!!!! if driven with care, pulling power of a train, p.s. if buying at auction there is often a guarantee of so many hours to allow check over. One thing to be aware of at auction is why is it there. A car in demand never usually gets to auction as its snapped up by interdealing with dealers. If not that competent with cars (not suggesting anything here!!!) make sure you take smeone who can spot the telltale body repairs etc. We have had some funny experiences with auctions and lost on one made on the other. Case 1/ checked car and it ran aok. It was pushed through the auction ????? The price was low low low but as we had checked it we bought. On checking somebody had swopped all plug leads around!!!!! That car ran for three years, never failed an mot and cost £130!!! 2/ checked car and it ran aok. The engine blew after 10 miles so a big question mark over what had been done to the engine to make it run i.e. thick oil etc. Let the buyer beware as they say. Cheers Nigel
sheerwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2002, 20:10   #6
amcdonald

V70 TDi. 3 years old, 100,000 miles, 45 mpg, minor problems, nothing to worry about. Buy one.

Alastair