Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cant Close 1800 Boot

Views : 870

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 14th, 2008, 18:59   #1
jimmyjam

Unhappy Cant Close 1800 Boot

Please can anyone advise me, I have fit a new rubber seal on the lip of the boot on my 1800. The problem is I cannot shut it. No matter how much I press down, even with 2 people it doesnt catch the lock so it locks. The rubber seal is just to springy. Has anyone got any advice, as I dont want to press too hard as I might dent newly painted boot. I have glued the rubber seal in, so that doesnt help. Thanks Jimmy.
jimmyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 19:42   #2
skysurfer
VOC Member

Hi Jimmy. I've just fitted a new boot seal on my P1800S from Brookhouse Volvo and whilst being a bit 'springy' closes fine with a little pressure. I also dismantled the boot lock assembly to fit a new lock barrel and lubricated the mechanism at the same time (it need a new lock spring). Are you sure it's not the lock mechanism ?. Also, where did you buy the rubber seal from ?. Like you, I glued mine down. The only place where it deforms is at the two boot hinges so this may be your problem area if its not the lock itself. Paul
skysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 22:45   #3
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Jimmy;

A new seal will have a lot more preload to overcome before the latch catches. I experienced the same exact thing on my 1800S, but after acertaining there was nothing amiss, was able to close it a bit harder and have the latch catch OK (one doesn't want to apply extra or excessive force before making sure its not going to the wrong place!).

Suggestions:
1. Assure everything is right, and only the additional preload of a new seal is the issue and the ONLY thing preventing latching.
1A. Put a glob of putty on catchloop, try closing, inspect putty contact area to see just how close (or far away) you are...use this info in your corrections.
2. Lube seal surface which contacts bootlid with a silicone product (ie ArmourAll), this will allow seal some movement, which will increase compliance, after it contacts bootlid and loads up....
3. "Train" seal by assisting it down with some removable tape...especially in the tight radius corners, where it is likely standing even more proud. After seal is "trained" and has a "memory" remove tape (but this could take a month of warm temperatures).
4. Observe the spacer plates under the bootlatch mechanism which lower the latch to better meet the catch loop. Add some temporary additional spacer washers while training the seal (or cut matching plates of thick plastic material such as coffee can lid). This may result in bootlid being a bit proud initially when latched, but as the seal is trained, and closing requires less force, additional spacers can be removed to restore proper gaps.

Hope that helps.

Greetings from New England!

I suggest you "trai
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 11:47   #4
mountain

hi Jimmy,

there should be an adjustment in the "hook" inside the boot, if my memory is correct, it can be slackened off, and there is then some play in it.

Michael
mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 20:33   #5
jimmyjam

Unhappy Thanks Ron and evryone else but...

Hey Ron thanks for your advice, I have lifted the hook the lock latches onto and I have lowered the lock so they are as close as possible when closed. I read with interest that I could tape the new seal down so it flattens down a bit, but have tried with 2 people to push the lid down and wouldnt close, I just cant see how some strong tape will hold it down into shape. The boot closed without the new seal, and this is the correct seal for the 1800. I just can see why it wont close. What can I do ? Thanks Jimmy.
jimmyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 21:39   #6
Derek UK
VOC Member

A small person inside the boot with a torch might be able to give you some useful info. Might just be misalignment which is difficult to judge when you can't see how the 2 pieces are trying to fit together.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 22:24   #7
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Jim;

The tape works on the "divide and conquer" principle...use tape in a number of places to hold down the high spots...I had Derek's idea too, but I thought the putty displacement idea would be a better one-man technique (and you don't have to convince your kid to get in the boot! Oh, SUUUURE, daddy will let you out....) .

Cheers
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 14:39   #8
Derek UK
VOC Member

With luck a pic from the parts book should appear here. Perhaps someone can run me through the method of imbedding a pic int the post rather than how I have it now as a seperate thumbnail. I have a Photobucket album if that it the normal way. Thanks.

I wondered if the part on the lid had been fitted the wrong way round and maybe the lock mechanism was keeping the catch open, they can usually be clicked back by hand. Probably not. Anyway it shows where you can add couple of extra washers to space it away from the lid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R0012088pfs.jpg (362.6 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Derek UK; Jan 16th, 2008 at 14:44.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 17:18   #9
mike gilbert
Master Member

Jimmy,
theres nothing worong with the car, its always the same with the new rubbers. They are made to the same pattern as the original but the modern rubber is more 'dense' and less spongy so you can't crush it up as much as the old one - hence the boot lid won't go down as far. It will get better with time but if it won't close at all and theres no more adjustment available you have two choices
1) re-fit the old rubber, after a clean up it will look OK
2) cut down the rubber lip a bit at the top of the boot aperture near the hinges - its that area that is stopping the boot closing I'll bet.
mike gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote