Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Chassis/engine number??

Views : 1248

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 14th, 2008, 16:38   #1
Franco

Default Chassis/engine number??

I have recently started to work on my 1800es after 15yrs.
I restored it in 1989-1990. New chassis outriggers, cills floor pan, rebuilt the wings cut the bottoms off all the doors and rebuilt them etc. Spent six months with my legs up the garage wall welding. I completed it, drove it for a few weeks and then moved on to other things. (cars) It was a nice looking car but not worth a lot so I kept it. This model was always one of my favourite cars to look at!!

Anyway I have just spent a few weeks doing the brakes, all seized up, flexible pipes collapsed inside, new oil seal on crankshaft rear, lots of new rubber bushes. It is beginning to feel like a drivable car again.

I now have a few questions if anyone can help?

I am about to change my old V5 reg document, but when I looked at the Chassis number on the document 6937 I cannot find it on the car. I know it had a personalised plate on it at some stage so my reg number is not the original. The plate on the drivers side wheel arch has three numbers on it. The top one is a long nine digit number and the next down is the paint code and the last is the upholstery. Above this is a plate with the number 0007300 maybe this is it?? Also the engine number on the V5 seems wrong (920) I think someone has read the B20 as 920. Where is the engine number?? there is a number to the right of the stamped B20 five digit (I think)

My last question is:- I need to get my bumpers re-chromed (again) or I may try the Stainless steel. Does anyone know a reasonable plater, the bumpers are in quite good condition and would not need much polishing.

Thanks for taking the time to read.
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 17:51   #2
B20F
Master Member

If it is a '73 than 7300 is the chassis number. At this site you can find all the info you need and more...
Regarding rechroming the bumpers there are not many firms that can do a proper job nowadays. Because of all the enviromental regislation the modern chroming can't be compared with the original job that stayed shiny for decades. Don't be surprised that after 2 or 3 years the rust comes through again. A really good job will cost you a lot so maybe the ss bumpers would be the wiser choice.
http://www.volvo1800pictures.com/
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 19:00   #3
dugie
VOC Member

Default 1800 chassis number

on the es the chassis number can be found either on the front panel by the radiator drivers side or on the drivers side door post just above the bottom hinge. dugie
dugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 20:07   #4
capt jack
VOC Member

The chassis number will be stamped into the metalwork of the driver's door hinge panel, and will probably be very difficult to read. You'll need a torch and a very bendy neck to find it!

The engine number will be just three digits stamped into the main engine block, on the nearside of the block. The engine code is B20, meaning B-series 2 litre, but the engine number will be 920.

I went through exactly the same process with my 73 ES.

The numbers on the various plates attached to the bulkhead will include paint and trim codes, gearbox identifier, and a factory body number - but not the chassis number.

If you have any old MoT certificates you might find the chassis number quoted there. The DVLA should accept this as proof of the chassis number.

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 16:10   #5
Franco

Default Thank you gentlemen.

Sorry not to get back sooner. My Range Rover decided to shed a UJ so I had to move the 1800 to fix it.

I have now got the engine number stamped on the block between the breather and distributor. 8315 not 920 as on my V5.

Unfortunately I cannot find any reference to the chassis number either on the bodywork near the radiator or at the top of the drivers side bottom door hinge. (I could have rebuilt this some years ago) is it facing you, or on the face where the hinge bolts on?. So at the moment I have the number on the plate above the aluminium info plate 0007300, but this could be the gearbox number as Jack says. The car is registered 17/12/73 my V5 says chassis number is 6937, I may just leave it at that unless you have any more ideas??
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 20:52   #6
dugie
VOC Member

Default chassis number

hi the panel at the front of the car i refer to is the angle piece that joins the inner wing and front panel if its there it could be full of paint its more likely to be on the door post thats the face your door seals are on again could be painted over i will try to post some pics there was also a tag on the passenger windscreen post but ive only seen a couple of cars survive with these on you should see a couple of holes were it was. dugie
dugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 10:08   #7
capt jack
VOC Member

Hi Franco

Your car probably has had a new engine at some time then.

The chassis number should be exactly whetre Dugie has indicated. My car has the two little holes in the n/s windscreen pillar where the plate used to be, and believe me, the stamping on the door frame was VERY hard to see.

As for the history of your car, the last ES models were actually built in March 73 so yours must have spent some time in storage before being registered. I wonder if maybe it was in a showroom somewhere? I guess that means it should be wearing an M-plate - that does make it quite unusual I'd say.

If the V5 says 6937 I'd leave it at that. If you can find any other reference to the same number - on an old MoT, or receipt etc, then so much the better, but at that time there was a lot less regulation about the placing and visibility of chassis numbers on cars, whereas now there are enough regulations to keep an army of busybodies busy. When it comes to the DVLA probably it's best to let sleeping pooches stay that way!

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 16:47   #8
Franco

Default "got It"

It was where you both said, slightly under the door seal.

Y006937. I was beginning to think the car was a little dodgy being an M reg.

I can change the engine number on the old V5 before I send it in, then everthing will be straight. ( great).

I am away now for a week or so now, then I have a few gems (experiences with the car) readers may be interested in.

Thanks again

Frank
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 17:17   #9
cassell
Member since 1988

Default 1800ES Chassis Numbers etc

Hello Franco,

Pleased to hear that you've found the number stamped on the door pillar, 6937 is therefore your chassis number.

Just to clarify the numbers under your bonnet, on the manufacturers plate, the top row '183####Y' or whatever is your car's full chassis number. The 183 designates that it is an ES, the Y designates a 1973 model year.
The next number down is the paint code and the bottom line is the upholstery/trim code.

The small plate above this plate merely shows the body serial number (yours is body number 7300)which was for production line reference only and has no bearing on the finished car's chassis number!

Hope this helps?

Paul
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 21:51   #10
Andrew (UK)
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassell View Post
Just to clarify the numbers under your bonnet, on the manufacturers plate, the top row '183####Y' or whatever is your car's full chassis number.
No. That number is the type number, it contains no reference to the chassis number at all. The full VIN is the type number followed by the chassis number.

http://www.vlvworld.com/indexframe.html?VIN.html to decode the type number.

Andrew
Andrew (UK) is offline   Reply With Quote