Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

cars imported into Ireland

Views : 651

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 18th, 2008, 17:52   #1
volvo144gl
Simon king

Default cars imported into Ireland

Hi,

I'm trying to trace the history of my 1800s

The DVLA and got back all the history they have on the vehicle, they state it was imported in 1985 and that is what is on the registration document. They have no further details of where from.

I've contacted VOLVO and got the following information from them

Model 1800 S
Chassis no 27886
Type 18335
Colour 95
Upholstery 310?
Engine ---
Engine no. 4565
Gearbox ---
Gearbox no. 317955
Body no. 28050
Tyres Pir.
Reported OK 30 May 1968
Delivery date 4 June 1968
District England

All match

My suspicion is that it might have come from Ireland; the first registered keeper in 1985 had an Irish name, a little bit tenuous I know

Some questions:

Does any one know if Volvo imported directly in to Ireland or the channel islands , or if they would have come into England first, hence the District being England, but it not being registered until 1985 (Because it possibly might have been registered in Ireland first before being imported into the England in 1985)

Do you have to import a car from Ireland to the UK? and if so would they Give you a period plate , mine is on an F plate and it’s not had a plate change

Any thoughts of where else it might have come from? Is it likely to have come into the UK and then been exported else where abroad?

Thanks

Simon
volvo144gl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 18:04   #2
ahal
Master Member

Smile Volvo origin

Hi Simon,

I'm a little confused, but surely the DVLA can tell you what the previous reg. number of the car was? That would be an instant giveaway. Our own system here isn't the most dynamic tbh, so I doubt that chassis numbers etc. would turn anything up.

I would hazard a guess that it would've been imported here brand new, if it originated from here. If I'm not mistaken, Volvo Ireland were overseen by LEX in the U.K., and Ireland not being a huge market on the fringe of the Atlantic, most stuff tends to come through Britain rather than direct.

Before 1987 of course we had a different registration system to today ... and then there's Northern Ireland's system. Wish you luck, let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Regards,

Anthony.
ahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 20:53   #3
volvo144gl
Simon king

I wrote to the DVLA and got back a huge raft of info about previous owners from 1985 where its lists the first keeper. (I wrote to him, sadly he’s deceased)

In the DVLA notes section on the VQ7 it says "According to our records the Vehicle was imported in 1985. No other details are available."

The reg seems to fit with the year of delivery if in to the UK:

Delivery date was the 4 June 1968

F Reg is from 01 August 1967 to 31 July 1968

The stuff from the DVLA makes no mention of previous Registration marks , or that it has been changes at some point in it’s past.

So I’m confused, the Registration Mark seems to/could be original, but where was it imported from? Where was it from 1968 - 1985

Is it normal just to have a chassis number on V5’s

The Irish Hunch was about the only explanation I could think of , I'm open to other sugestions
volvo144gl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 21:48   #4
AidanC

Hi,

Can the DVLA tell you if the registration is an age-related plate? (it sounds like it is)..

The problem with us (the Irish) is that we've been leaving the country regularly for centuries and tend to turn up in far-flung places so it'd be hard to pinpoint the car's origin that way. Is it possible that your car was purchased by a member of the forces who exported it tax free while on duty abroad?

I had a look at http://www.volvop1800club.se/eng/ where you posted details of your car. Chassis number 27884 (also light blue) is also a UK car but unfortunately there's no UK car in the number sequence above yours before 27904 which is a LHD car in Costa Rica - I was hoping to find a UK car on both sides of your chassis number which might show that they were in the same batch. 277884 is a G reg

The problem with the Irish vehicle registration system is that it was only centralised in 1993 - I'm not sure that you could find out much about your car's possible existance in Ireland without knowing which county it was registered in, so catch 22 all in all I think...

Your best lead seems to be the deceased owner. Can you trace any relatives who might remember something?
AidanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 22:38   #5
Andrew (UK)
VOC Member

Ulla Bergwall, the Volvo archivist may be able to help with where it was originally delivered to.

Andrew

Ulla Bergwall, Historiskt arkiv
Coor Service Management
HDBVN, VAK
S-405 08 Gothenburg

Tel: +46 31 322 24 88
ubergwal@volvocars.com
ulla.bergwall@coor.com
www.coor.com
Andrew (UK) is offline   Reply With Quote