Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > Trader's Offers & Discounts
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Trader's Offers & Discounts A forum for discussing special offers that are available to VOC or Forum members. Commercial organisations must first seek permission to post details of products.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo owners club insurance scheme via chris knott insurance

Views : 198868

Replies : 311

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 9th, 2011, 20:04   #91
mrmeringo
Tommy Meringo

Default Cheaper

[QUOTE=TimatChrisKnott;771163]Hi to all!

As some of you may know, we are the Volvo Owners Club preferred insurance provider and have been for over 20 years!

We thought we would advertise details of the scheme on this forum so here goes! -

The scheme is for both standard and modified cars with cosmetic changes and bhp increases by no more than 20bhp.

It starts for ages 22 and over for Comprehensive cover and 19+ for TPFT cover, and you must have at least 1 year's NCB – no introductory discounts are allowed.

All drivers must have held a full UK licence for at least 1 year, and to insure a 'performance' car, there must be at least 1 years experience of driving that, or similar bhp, car. Unfortunately, the scheme is not competitive on all M - Manchester, L - Liverpool, OL - Oldham & SK1-12 - Stockport postcodes, and excludes Northern Ireland.

No more than 1 SP/PC/PL conviction offence per driver and no fault claims in the last 12 months.

A lot cheaper with "Footman James" i only pay £170 fully comp for my 1989 740 saloon.
mrmeringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 21:19   #92
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
There are clearly a number of concerns with the service VOC Insurance offers to VOC members and we, the Board, have been aware for a while and trying to work towards a suitable resolve.

Why is it taking a while? Because most of us work full time, have family matters and other external interests. There are also many other matters that the VOC Board has to deal with, and prioritising has to take place. Give me a 48 hour day and 10 day week and I could do things quicker, but only if I have to work 8 hours a day for 5 days.

The VOC gets a commission from CK based on the number policies that VOC members take out. That money is fully disclosed in the accounts, so I condemn any suggestions of financial irregularities. CK use the same procedure with other car clubs they work with.

Some of you will be aware of a practice used within the insurance industry called Claims Farming. A practice that has been heavily criticised from within the industry with claims to have brought the industry into chaos and disrepute. CK does not use this practice, which is probably why they do not always provide the cheapest quote.

If I were to have an accident in a car worth £750 I would not want a phone call pressuring me to say I or a passenger had an injury, and get a brand new Range Rover as a courtesy car. That is what actually happened to one person so do not think I am just making this up.

We are aware of the problems with communication from CK and I recently spoke with a senior member of the company about this and will be keeping an eye on developments.

The insurance industry is a very lucrative industry and everyone today is out to make money. Why else are they in business. You can get cheap insurance, but how would they manage your claim. I have heard horror stories over the years and I would sooner pay a little more to be sure my claim gets dealt with efficiently.

On to the lack of response from CK on this forum.

Tim, as many know got on here some time back with good faith and got into a bit of a situation. This was handled at a senior level at CK and agreed with me that things would be allowed to cool off a bit.

There has been a change now at CK, and as mentioned earlier in this thread a change of username is under way. This came about when a senior member of CK contacted me to request that change of username and I passed it on to the forum admin, who in turn advised the CK staff member how to achieve that.

I am sure there are many more questions about how the VOC should manage its 'preferred' insurance company, and it may be we need to look further afield at other options. But the bottom line is providing a service that is hassle free and up-front, and not some cheaper scruffy service that will be grief from start to finish.

Bob
Hello Bob.
Thanks for making an offical comment. I really hope that something can be sorted out with Chris Knott or another company for that matter. I have run into a lot of trouble trying to insure my car and last year I thought I would have to sell it or swap the engine back again due to the cost.
As I said in one of my messages whatever company is used if they would take the time to listen and get people dealing with Volvos that know their stuff things would be so much easier.
I decided to join the club in the hope that my problems with getting good insurance would come to an end but it seems that Chris Knott need to sort a few things out before thay can really call it Volvo owners Club insurance.
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 22:46   #93
nm1985
Rated "R"

Big changes at CK, however they still seem to ignore you if they dont like what you say. Customer service at its best

2005 V70R - Sonic Blue - SOLD
nm1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 22:54   #94
mrmeringo
Tommy Meringo

Default Cheaper Still

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilydad View Post
Oh...OK. You are not competitive, so I won't bother.

Lost business spawned by greed! My 940 costs me around £189.00 a year Fully Comp .

Absolutely stupid to me. There's a recession on, and you don't want what business is out there?

Sorry mate but you've come across as a typical greedy insurance broker, just touting here for newer car owners.
My 1989 740GL is £170 fully comp with "Footman James"
mrmeringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 23:21   #95
minesa240x3
loyalty

Thank you Bob for responding,BUT we the members of the voc don't get any benefit from using ck,yes the club may well benefit but I already pay for my membership so I shouldn't have to pay through ck.Maybe they should be the"Prefered volvo forum non member insurer"That way we the paid up members could rest peacefully in the fact all the non members are proping up our club?

A club insurer should give us benefits.
A great deal of other traders give discounts on products which we benefit from.

Having just looked at the profit and loss account for year ending 31st december 2010 which I recieved at the annual AGM at Gaydon I can see why This Insurance company are neccesary to the running of the club.They are the third biggest income provider to the voc.

All this is very good for the club but without the support of the members then no club can succeed.
We just need to know that any company using the name of the voc is going to benefit the members not just the club.Or you may as well just put the cost of membership up to balance out the insurance company.

May I just say that I never wanted to have all this comotion but being ignored and previously talked to like an idiot has incensed me to do this.

They just don't cut the mustard as far as I can see.And have nothing to offer the great majority of us.
Unless all the satified people would like to come on here and say otherwise.

Maybe I should go direct to my broker and see if he can get a cheaper price from Admiral,which is the company ck put me with.Look them up on the internet it makes very interesting reading.So saying that other cheaper companies isn't always best just doesn't aquate because they will use whoever is cheapest to suit you and take a very big commision from which a small percentage is paid onto the voc.

The point is they are just insurance brokers and will put you with any company that suits your needs.Just like any other broker.So what have they got that is different from any other broker.

Very annoyed Brian.Paid up member of the VOC and regulare user of this valuable forum.

By the way my insurance quote for this year per car fully comp clean license low risk area and 48 years old is £287.
That is per car with Highway.
volvo 740 gle 2.3 litre 1990.manual.
volvo 240 se 2.0 litre 1992.auto.

And I didn't even get the £10 for "your other cars"
Very annoyed Brian.Paid up member of the VOC and regulare user of this valuable forum.

Last edited by minesa240x3; Jul 9th, 2011 at 23:45.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to minesa240x3 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 23:36   #96
S60-MBS
VOC Member

Brian can understand you are annoyed, but are you saying the so called members should get special treatment and those forum users without their name in blue be shafted by CK?
You may note most of this forum is kept going by non voc members.Was going to suggest a good insurance company but though now sod it
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 00:20   #97
minesa240x3
loyalty

Very sorry I was trying to make a point.but obviousley got it wrong.
I was saying how wrong it is that the money that is generated by ck selling to the voc members and the forum users is paid into the club.but as an individual member I recieve no direct benefit from them.In fact I pay more to subsidise the club and this wonderful forum.
Anyone who knows me or has read my posts in the years I have been on here will know I don't distinguish between members of the voc and forum members.We are all as nice a people as every one else.
Please don't think I want the forum users penalised as it couldn't be further from the truth.
I am aware that anyone can read this and ok I didn't explain myself very well.
I think everyone using this forum and keeping it the brilliant forum it is should get some benefit from it.But I sarcastically tried to say how wrong it was.

By the way last year my quotes were:-

240 SE 2.0 litre auto £252 with chris knott.
240 SE 2.0 litre auto £254 with royal sun alliance.
But the extras you get from royal are typical fully comp items including car hire etc.Chris Knott want an extra £15.89 making a full price of £267.89 for a hire car included.

Sorry if anyone thinks I want to fleece non voc members but you really should know me a lot better than that.
Regards Brian..
The Following User Says Thank You to minesa240x3 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 00:28   #98
S60-MBS
VOC Member

Brian last year my premium was £1200,this years quote was £1600 but a nice lady recomended some who with a major company done the same/better cover with lower excess for £800.
Try Calling Clifton Morley insurance brokers Brian on 0208 2980022

Sorry Brian me I am cranky tonight got early morning shift and some chimps in area having all night music bash
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 00:44   #99
minesa240x3
loyalty

Thanks I will give them a try.No need to apologise as after I reread my post it did come across wrong.I think fast but write slow,consequently I don't get to fully write what I mean before going onto something else.
Regards Brian.
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 01:04   #100
brodgar
I've Been Banned

Default sigh

quote from bob ""and not some cheaper scruffy service that will be grief from
start to finish.""""

============================

thank you bob for your elaborate answer..

As to the above quote -- to me that seems a healthy vision.

========================================

Insurance aspectations : going to a club(recommended) insurer evokes the
assumption there is some benefit in bringing
business to that insurer.Perhaps some (financial)
perks.

Let me give an example== I drive a lpg-car. There is an insurer who is
LPG-friendly. He gives a 10 % discount on premiums for lpg cars.
However his premium is twice the amount from another insurance I
found. Therefore the 10% discount HAS NO MEANING TO ME.

Something like this might be the case with chris knott as well
== aspectations but nothing gets delivereed.
( i do not comment on good/bad personal service)
So than comes the question :

what is so special about a
club-recommended insurer????

regards, brodgar
brodgar is offline   Reply With Quote