Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1963 Volvo 122

Views : 644436

Replies : 1365

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 30th, 2024, 09:03   #1341
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Absolutely John. I was watching an Australian car programme a few weeks ago, which happened to mention 1950s Japanese cars - one of which was an almost exact copy of an Austin of the time (the Japanese copied lots of British cars and bikes back in the day). The problem was that Austin model would have stayed the same for the next 25 years whereas the Japanese moved on to better things very quickly indeed.

The CB200 is a little marvel compared with British bikes of the day: OHC, twin carburettors, electric start, 12v and a disc brake on a 50 year old motorcycle - compared that with a Triumph Tiger Cub.

The Patchings? I'm going to be a bit busy this month due to the Skeggy sur la Mer house, so it may be March before GAM and I visit.

Alan
It wasn't only the Japanese that picked up our designs and developed them, Alan. Was't the first ever BMW motor car - the Dixie - an Austin Seven clone?

I must confess to having had little exposure to Japanese machinery Alan, but my experience of that which I have had confirms yours above.

Among the many small two wheelers that I had in my youth was an 'engine in the wheel' P50 moped - one of only a very few four strokes (The Ducati 'clip-on' cyclemotor was another) in a world of two strokes. Later in life, we kept a small cruiser with a Honda outboard. Twin cylinder OHC; quite exquisite engineering - built like the proverbial Swiss watch!

Hope all goes well with your houses and look forward to seeing you ( and Bob, perhaps?) in March?

Regards, John.
Old Jan 30th, 2024, 11:11   #1342
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Investment is only part of it Dave; one has to ask why investors were not prepared to put their money into British industry as they had done during out Victorian era and did in Japan, the USA and Germany in the post-war era. The answer was (of course) that the returns were neither safe or attractive enough.

So, why wasn't the UK an attractive place to invest in after WW2? I think most of it comes down to us Brits not having the stomach for industry any more. This manifests itself in many ways through our nation, one of which is planning objections: because we have a high population density and everyone thinks they have a right to their say it makes any change difficult. In a motor car context I recall a planning objection preventing BL from assembling the body for the new SD1 and painting it in the same plant - resulting in every bare shell being shipped across town by road to the paintshop. It is hard to imagine the council at Toyota City getting away with that one. The same continues today - just look at how long it takes to gain approval for a new nuclear power station (although most folk want reliable power without burning coal or oil) or HS2 - which has almost been killed off by planning issues rather than engineering challenges.

A second reason for the UK being less attractive for investment is the workforce. Back in the 60s and 70s it was difficult to get anything done without being interrupted by industrial action - that pervades somewhat today. In some industries it is just too difficult to employ British folk because the work is too hard and the compensation too low for most to bother with. I'm thinking of agriculture in particular: all (with no exceptions) of my farmer mates have given up trying to employ Brits at harvest time, but instead use very willing (and relatively well paid) East Europeans. The alternative would be letting the crops rot in the fields or increasing prices dramatically (which those same Brits that don't want to pick the harvest won't pay for at Tesco).

I see successful British manufacturing companies (from example JLR, Triumph (motorcycles) and Dyson) moving production overseas because working here is just too difficult and too expensive. This trait isn't unique to the UK, it happens in all the developed world because the planning and employment law makes it difficult to produce stuff. Whilst we moan about this happening, us Brits won't tolerate a new factory or the infrastructure it needs to support it in our back yards. We all want cheap and well made stuff, but we don't want to make it ourselves.

Perhaps none of this matters (at least not in my lifetime, maybe not even in Dan's time). The population will keep growing and we can keep on living on the wealth we earned during the industrial era - and all make a living selling each other insurance and mortgages for quite a while yet.

Alan
While i generally agree with all of that Alan, every time a new idea was brought up, it was all fine until it came for the top brass to put their hand in their pocket and fund the final development and market the product. For example, there was a facelifted MGB that Pininfarina had a huge influence in the looks - fantastic looking car. Vetoed by the BL board because it would cost too much.
Just one example and had the management used their collective brain, the increased sales would have paid for pay rises to keep the militant workers happy.

As for the idle on your CB200, it sounds fine aside from a slight timing and balance error in the carbs - the mechanical noise you mention doesn't come across (at least my end) although there does seem to be a little pre-ignition rattle/knock in there.
Out of interest, what were the little ends like when you had the engine apart?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 30th, 2024, 20:41   #1343
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
While i generally agree with all of that Alan, every time a new idea was brought up, it was all fine until it came for the top brass to put their hand in their pocket and fund the final development and market the product. For example, there was a facelifted MGB that Pininfarina had a huge influence in the looks - fantastic looking car. Vetoed by the BL board because it would cost too much.
Just one example and had the management used their collective brain, the increased sales would have paid for pay rises to keep the militant workers happy.

As for the idle on your CB200, it sounds fine aside from a slight timing and balance error in the carbs - the mechanical noise you mention doesn't come across (at least my end) although there does seem to be a little pre-ignition rattle/knock in there.
Out of interest, what were the little ends like when you had the engine apart?
The bottom end of the CB200 was like a sewing machine Dave - typically Honda. The little end bearings are plain, the (new) gudgeon pins were a nice sliding fit. Honda engines are generally very easy to work on, everything is always very well thought through and the quality control excellent.

I like having the CB200 as a sort of perpetual project; I don’t need it from day to day, the tax is free and the insurance £60/year so it won’t cost much to keep, ride around on a few nice days per year and do some fettling every now and then to improve it incrementally.

Old Jan 31st, 2024, 04:54   #1344
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
It wasn't only the Japanese that picked up our designs and developed them, Alan. Was't the first ever BMW motor car - the Dixie - an Austin Seven clone?

I must confess to having had little exposure to Japanese machinery Alan, but my experience of that which I have had confirms yours above.

Among the many small two wheelers that I had in my youth was an 'engine in the wheel' P50 moped - one of only a very few four strokes (The Ducati 'clip-on' cyclemotor was another) in a world of two strokes. Later in life, we kept a small cruiser with a Honda outboard. Twin cylinder OHC; quite exquisite engineering - built like the proverbial Swiss watch!

Hope all goes well with your houses and look forward to seeing you ( and Bob, perhaps?) in March?

Regards, John.
Yes indeed John, Bob and I (with GAM) will get up to the Patchings soon (in the spring - March or April).

Old Feb 9th, 2024, 08:20   #1345
Othen
Premier Member

Default Skeggy

Since getting the keys to the Skeggy bungalow last week it has consumed all of my time, but this makes it worth the effort:

... the beach is 500 yards away - Bob and I really enjoy walking there.

Old Feb 9th, 2024, 09:00   #1346
Moomoo
VOC Member

Bob looks like he is exploring happily!👍😀
Old Feb 9th, 2024, 10:45   #1347
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Bob looks happy!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Feb 14th, 2024, 22:24   #1348
Spasibo

Felixstow?
Spasibo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spasibo For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 15th, 2024, 11:01   #1349
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasibo View Post
Felixstow?
Nah Skegness.

Or if you prefer, Skeg-Vegas, Skeggy sur mer, Skeg de mar and so on.........

Old Feb 19th, 2024, 10:48   #1350
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Nah Skegness.

Or if you prefer, Skeg-Vegas, Skeggy sur mer, Skeg de mar and so on.........
I like 'Skeg-Vegas' best

PS. An update on properties. Readers may recall the Zummrezette move falling through last autumn, and me deciding to buy my nice little holiday house in Skeg-Vegas (so Bob and I could walk by the sea). Well, much to my surprise (in the current housing market, which is still falling, whatever the media would have us believe), my house at Corby del Sol suddenly attracted a lot of interest and has sold for the full asking price. I can't think of a reason not to sell it, so my nice little holiday house in Skeg-Vegas will become my abode (and that of Bob, Millicent and Dan when back from uni) from the summer. I have about 3 months to get the bungalow ready and execute a leisurely move.

I'm not sure that I'll get that garage/workshop built in time for May/June so I'm planning to construct a car-port on the side of the existing garage as a somewhat temporary home for GAM (that may become a longer term home if I fill the new garage/workshop with a few projects once it is built).

PPS. I'll be taking the Goldwing over to Skeg-Vegas by trailer today as the first of my motorcycle shuffles.

Last edited by Othen; Feb 19th, 2024 at 11:54.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: