Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Over Eager Car Washing -- Water in Air-Intake

Views : 1398

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 02:38   #1
34Prospect

Default Over Eager Car Washing -- Water in Air-Intake

Hello,

Writing in the hope that somebody will be able to help. While washing and waxing my '94 850 we were a bit too eager in scrubbing and rinsing under the hood. Am afraid that a decent amount of water got in the air-intake valves.

Started the car to take it for a drive to "dry" it and drove around the block. Heard a kind of gurgling or water noise when I accelerated. Returned quickly to the driveway where the car now sits.

Tried to start it about 25 minutes later and the car won't start. It just doesn't turn over. Electrical system seems fine. I'm concerned about water in the engine.

Please let me know what I should be doing/checking for.

Thanks Very Much,

Alex
Old Jul 21st, 2002, 09:29   #2
markas
VOC Member

Default RE: Over Eager Car Washing -- Water in Air-In

Hi ya,

I too have a N/A 94 2 litre model. Did you actually take apart the hole of the air intake system and this is why you are worried?

I personally jet wash my car two and have no problems, I just make sure I keep away from the spark plug cover so no water get on top of the head or down the holes where the plugs are.

If you let your car sit for a while unplug all the ht leads and give them a good wipe, if you can spray one of the water repellent products on them or air to ensure they are dry. The air intake box does actually have a drain hole at the bottom, as in normally use you will get a certain amount of ingestion of water on a busy road/freeway if raining badly.

Next the engine is not to keen on being started and switched off right away it confusing the ECU a bit. Next time you start her let her idle until you have the 3 o'clock point of the temp gauge with the bonnet up so you can listen for any bad sounds.

Hope this helps,

mark.
markas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2002, 14:14   #3
34Prospect

Thanks Mark,

Perhaps my air-intake drain hole is clogged? Any suggestions as to how I can find it and unclog it?

Also, excuse my ignorance, but what are "ht leads"?

Thanks so much for your help. I am hopeful now.

BTW, I didn't take apart the hole in the air-intake system so perhaps you are right and this is just the spark plugs. However, as I said in my initial post I was able to start it and drive it fairly immediately and only faced problems when I tried to accellerate -- I felt some minor seizing and heard some gurgling.

Any hope that this could be something other than water in the engine?

Thanks

Alex

Alex
Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 09:38   #4
Simon McL

If too much water gets in the intake, the engine can try to compress the water when the pistons are on the "up stroke", the water won't compress and this can cause all kinds of "remortgage required" repairs by bending the con rods.

The HT leads are the thick wires which connect the spark plugs to the distributor cap.

All you can really do is leave the engine long enough to be sure that it is dry and try to start it and see how it goes, fingers crossed for you !!

Good luck

Si

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 17:17   #5
34Prospect

THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP and SYMPATHY. THE CAR WORKS PERFECTLY. IT STARTED UP WELL. SPUTTERED A LITTLE BIT WHEN I ACCELERATED PAST 60MPH BUT IT SEEMS PERFECT NOW.

I THINK YOU MUST HAVE BEEN RIGHT ABOUT THE WET PLUGS OR HT LEADS.

I'M VERY VERY RELIEVED.

ALEX

PS NOW, IF I CAN ONLY GET MY HORN TO START WORKING PROPERLY AGAIN
Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 10:33   #6
Simon Linton
850/70 Register Keeper

Well, we now have another story confirming what has been said before - do NOT use pressure washers or indeed any form of hose under the bonnet.

There are about 100 electrical connectors under there, all of which can be disrupted by water and some of which will cause very expensive damage if so disrupted.

Damp cloth time.
Simon Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2002, 10:49   #7
Simon McL

I have been thinking about getting mine steam cleaned for a while, probably without the spark plug cover because I have noticed that its a bit ming'in under there !!

Is steam cleaning OK or are there precautions to take ?

Si

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 16:14   #8
Simon Linton
850/70 Register Keeper

Default Steam cleaning - no.

Not a good idea for the reasons I gave above - steam is water too and electricity and water don't get on at all.
Simon Linton is offline   Reply With Quote