Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Odometer Failure

Views : 1211

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 14th, 2009, 18:28   #1
RAW
VOC Member

Unhappy Odometer Failure

Hi all,

Long time since i posted on here! anyway, about 6 months ago i got bored of the dashboard lights not working, so decided to remove the instrument cluster and attempt to get them to work for a bit longer til i could find a replacement rehostat. i did this and the lights have continued to work most of the time untill recently, when they gave up compleetly again.

so, this morning, i removed the instrument cluster again, and did as i did last time to try to get the lights to wark again. replaced the cluster and the lights seemed to be working!, job done i thought.

we set off from near daventry to go to birmingham, and after filling up in warwick, reset the tripmeter. got back from birmingham to notice that neither the Odometer nor the Tripmeter had worked since leaving warwick 50 miles earlier!

what i need to know is - 1) have i caused the problem, ie, is it the wiring connectors on the back of the clocks (bear in mind that the odometer worked fine till it was reset at warwick)

or 2) has the odometer jammed or worse failed (as i have since read they can) when it was reset at warwick?

either way, i could also do with possible methods of repair outlining as i dont really know what to do!

Richard

PS: the car is an '89 740 GL with the square cluster.
RAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2009, 19:07   #2
OldBlueVolvo
VOC Member

Pressing the reset button on the trip is known to cause the odometer to fail. They can also fail with time anyway - just like mine did a few years ago. As it isn't working, you'll have to take the cluster out again to have a look. You can have a look for anything obvious like a loose connection (or not so obvious), but you'll probably find that one of the gears has a tooth missing inside the speedo. Wait and see if anyone on here has any other ideas, but you'll probably need to remove the speedo from the cluster. Once you have the speedo off, separate the PCB from the gauge and you'll be able to see the gears. This is also a good time to resolder the joints were the motor wires connect to the PCB. They are known to go 'dry'.

William
OldBlueVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2009, 19:19   #3
RAW
VOC Member

lovely! thanks william, sounds like a "fun" job for tomorow.

just realised that i forgot to mention something that probably narrows it down to only this possibility, the speedo is still working correctly.

Richard
RAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 10:18   #4
Mike B
VOC Member 4911

Default odo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAW View Post
lovely! thanks william, sounds like a "fun" job for tomorow.

just realised that i forgot to mention something that probably narrows it down to only this possibility, the speedo is still working correctly.

Richard
Hi first check that the reset odo button has not just cought the side of the housing [ long post about the prob ]can often be the prob it bends over the years.
Regards
Mike B
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 21:14   #5
supertramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
Hi first check that the reset odo button has not just cought the side of the housing [ long post about the prob ]can often be the prob it bends over the years.
Regards
Mike B
I'll second that. My 740 odometer (both of them in fact) became intermittent. I took the cluster out, removed the speedo, and removed the reset stalk. Looking at the holes in the clear plastic and the speedo face, they were not in line. I didn't really (sorry!) believe the post that making the holes bigger would help. So I just removed the stalk altogether and stuck the speedo and cluster back. They have both worked faultlessly ever since! OK, unless I make the holes bigger and stick the stalk back I've got no odometer reset but I can live without that especially as I'd rather not risk the possibility of pushing it in while the car is moving. I use a wax crayon and a piece of white plastic to tell me when to fill up. (Did I mention the fuel gauge?) In the 1950s in his Ford Pop my father used a knitting stitch counter, a little drum thing for the same purpose....
supertramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 21:41   #6
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

I stripped a speedo recently in a 940 for mileage not working and replaced the motor that turns the mileage, its actually the circuit board that gets replaced c/w motor, easy enough fix. And I have a working speedo from a 940 if required.

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2010, 11:37   #7
imperialaird
Horatio740

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertramp View Post
I'll second that. My 740 odometer (both of them in fact) became intermittent. I took the cluster out, removed the speedo, and removed the reset stalk. Looking at the holes in the clear plastic and the speedo face, they were not in line. I didn't really (sorry!) believe the post that making the holes bigger would help. So I just removed the stalk altogether and stuck the speedo and cluster back. They have both worked faultlessly ever since! OK, unless I make the holes bigger and stick the stalk back I've got no odometer reset but I can live without that especially as I'd rather not risk the possibility of pushing it in while the car is moving. I use a wax crayon and a piece of white plastic to tell me when to fill up. (Did I mention the fuel gauge?) In the 1950s in his Ford Pop my father used a knitting stitch counter, a little drum thing for the same purpose....
I have the same problem with my 740, the odometer is intermittent, as indeed is the fuel guage. How, might I ask, do you use a crayon and piece of plastic to tell you when to fill up?

I'm going to fix the instruments but for now I could use something to tell me when to fill up. I'm hoping the fuel guage is just the fuel sender unit needing cleaned and that the odometer will be fixed by increasing the size of the holes that I read above.
imperialaird is offline   Reply With Quote