Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240 dashboard lights and stereo

Views : 1405

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 7th, 2007, 22:45   #1
steve1234

Hey Guys new to the board hope you can help!
I have a 94 240 and put a new stereo in. Sounds great but when night time rolled around and I turned on my lights my dashboard lights burned out and I got a puff of smoke from the light switch. All other lights work, head, tail, brake... everything but the dash. When I removed the stock head unit, I tested the wiring harness for power and found switched and straight 12 volts all the time. I cut these two wires from the connector and soldered my two hot wires from the radio. The radio still works great.
Any ideas? Please help driving in the dark really bites.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 09:08   #2
Erling
VOC member

Did you check the fuse? I forget what other things are included in this circuit, apart from the central locking.

If the fuse is okay, one idea that springs to mind is that you may have fried the thin wires in the dimmer switch. It is located just above the light switch and may well have been the source of the smoke you observed. A simple test is to bypass this rheostat and see if the light returns (though a burnt switch will most likely be quite obvious to spot once you pulled it out - it's an open design).

The fried switch - if this is the case - will most probably just be a symptom though. I guess you are running too much power through the instrument lights wiring. I suspected that you had hooked up the stereo to these wires, until I read that the radio still works.