Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New owner - cambelt advice required

Views : 1210

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 3rd, 2020, 10:42   #11
wesacosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtor View Post
Front engine mount needs to be removed, so be prepared to clean up the threads before re-installing the bolts. I could not get mine back in without the help of a tap and die.
good call, thanks for the tip
wesacosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2020, 13:13   #12
wesacosa

was it the bolts into the chassis or bolts into the bracket on engine side which needed the tap and die?
Old Jan 3rd, 2020, 18:41   #13
wesacosa

Angry

This belt saga turning into a nightmare already and I not even wielded a spanner yet!
I still cant seem to find an answer on the 142 V 148 teeth Surely there must be a way to tell without having to count
I phoned Volvo dealer and gave my reg and they said there was only one cambelt kit for that car
30758261. Doing some googling of that it says it has a 142 tooth. So I bought a ContiTech kit with 142 tooth but on the box it says its only for cars up to 05/2000 . Mine is a late 2001. All the suppliers seem to give engine number to and from , but these seem to be only for the Turbo engine
Seems like such a faff to have to take bits of the car apart to count the teeth.

Edit: just realised the engine number on V5 is different to the serial number. Perhaps this serial number might help

Edit 2: Ok so looks like the serial number of the engine tallies with the 142 tooth kit, so only the date on the box saying only suitable for up to 05/2000 is confusing the matter

Last edited by wesacosa; Jan 3rd, 2020 at 20:41.
Old Jan 8th, 2020, 19:58   #14
wesacosa

well the belt change isn't going as smoothly as I hoped. I bought a universal cam locking tool which fits between the two pulleys but it was useless so I thought I would try without one using the timing marks and some additional tippex ones I made. From a video I saw on YouTube I was expecting the cam with the VVT to spring a fair bit off its marks when the belt was released but that only shifted about half a tooth. However the non VVT cam sprung about 5 teeth off its marks in a clockwise direction. I assume this is the valve springs knocking it around but really wasn't expecting that much. Bit dark now so had to come inside but am I going to easily turn it back to its marks of have I messed it up ?

thanks
Wes

Last edited by wesacosa; Jan 8th, 2020 at 20:08.
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 14:21   #15
LTEcactus

Quick question, what's the interval for a timing belt change on the phase II 1.8i model?
How much is it likely to be, if I got it done at a garage?
LTEcactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 15:10   #16
wesacosa

I am having an absolutely awful time with this cambelt. I can't even think how many hours I have been at it

I get everything back together, lined up tensioned as per the procedure. However when I run the engine the belt wanders down to the back of the crank pulley sprocket and the tensioner. I have had the belt off and on three time and the tensioner set maybe ten times and every time the same, all lines up statically in the center of the pulleys but as soon as I start it the belt wanders to the rear face of the spockets.

I am at my wits end, just don't know how to sort it
anyone seen anything like this before
many thanks
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 18:48   #17
magnuz
Ancient

Did it run out of line before you changed it?
Have you fitted new tensioners ?
I would have thought, the only thing that would cause it, is if the tensioner or idler pulley bearings have a lot of play in them, or the tensioners, or idler pulley are not seated properly, or somehow wrongly positioned , Or if the water pump has excessive play on the pulley ?
magnuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 20:46   #18
wesacosa

the marks on the pulleys suggests it ran centrally last time.
I didn't touch the water pump but didn't seem any free play
I ran it with old tensioner back on and didn't fix
Will have to check the idler next but got cold and fed up!

Would anything in the belt seating process or tensioning cause it, or purely hardware?
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 21:29   #19
ITSv40
VOC Member

It seems the only things left that were not original - as swapping the tensioner hasn't altered it - is the idler pulley or you have a duff new belt that isn't running true.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 21:37   #20
wesacosa

I did wonder about the belt, but it doesn't wander around the pulley too much. Just walks down the pulleys and stays there
Agree if its hardware related it looks like the idler , but my worry is if its something I did in the fitting and tensioning, as its first belt change I did

I set the crank to intake cam side pretty taught ( by turning intake pulley a fraction of a tooth to take up the slack, as I say I didn't use holding tools so the VCT sprunt off its mark and needed turning back). Perhaps I pulled it too tight?
Lesson next time is get proper tools so I can at least eliminate anything moving slightly!