Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What's it worth?

Views : 1546

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 13th, 2020, 14:56   #11
Dippydog
Premier Member

Personally if the car suits your needs and you like it[apart from fuel consumption]I'd lpg it.Swapping to something else which you may not like as much is a gamble as far as reliability is concerned and as has been said elsewhere buying a second car brings extra cost not only of purchase price but road tax[or whatever they call it these days]insurance etc.etc.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 00:20   #12
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

My second car is a little '04 Micra four-door with the 1.5dCi lump. I bought for beans it from a dealer who had it in as a PX, it came with a new cambelt and MOT and has been faultless. Averages an astonishing 70mpg, goes like a rocket and handles like a go-kart, costs me £3 a month tax and £18 a month insurance...it's almost free!

I'm a musician by trade and do lots of miles a year, the Micra does a lot of the long distance stuff (surprisingly comfortable and smooth on the motorway) and has cut my fuel bills massively, plus it means I can use my Volvo(s) for pleasure and local/regional use rather than putting a ton of miles on them slogging up and down the country, other than when I feel like it that is.

I'd keep the S90 and enjoy it, either LPG it or grab a little frugal pocket rocket like mine for cheap miles and enjoy the Volvo when you want to.
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 00:45   #13
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllHailKingVolvo View Post
My second car is a little '04 Micra four-door with the 1.5dCi lump. I bought for beans it from a dealer who had it in as a PX, it came with a new cambelt and MOT and has been faultless. Averages an astonishing 70mpg, goes like a rocket and handles like a go-kart, costs me £3 a month tax and £18 a month insurance...it's almost free!

I'm a musician by trade and do lots of miles a year, the Micra does a lot of the long distance stuff (surprisingly comfortable and smooth on the motorway) and has cut my fuel bills massively, plus it means I can use my Volvo(s) for pleasure and local/regional use rather than putting a ton of miles on them slogging up and down the country, other than when I feel like it that is.

I'd keep the S90 and enjoy it, either LPG it or grab a little frugal pocket rocket like mine for cheap miles and enjoy the Volvo when you want to.
Look out for the diesel price hikes Phil!

The 1.5dCi is a Renault diseasel lump if memory serves.

The Micra = Corsa = Clio from about 2000-2018 ish when Vauxhall cars were sold to FCA and Vauxhall vans to PSA and those two have, i believe, now merged so we have a Franco-Italiano conglomorate owning :

Peugeot
Citroen
Fiat
Jeep/Chrysler
Lancia
Alfa Romeo???
Maserati
Vauxhall cars
Vauxhall vans

plus maybe a few others i may have missed!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 09:06   #14
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Look out for the diesel price hikes Phil!

The 1.5dCi is a Renault diseasel lump if memory serves.

The Micra = Corsa = Clio from about 2000-2018 ish when Vauxhall cars were sold to FCA and Vauxhall vans to PSA and those two have, i believe, now merged so we have a Franco-Italiano conglomorate owning :

Peugeot
Citroen
Fiat
Jeep/Chrysler
Lancia
Alfa Romeo???
Maserati
Vauxhall cars
Vauxhall vans

plus maybe a few others i may have missed!
Yes I shall be mindful of the diseasel prices going up...my thoughts on the Micra are that even if I run it for another three months and then bung it in the sea, it has paid for itself and was a fun car to own. In the long term, I plan to go LPG on my 940 and use that as my main car, as I know it's highly likely to outlive the Micra by some margin!!
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 09:35   #15
derek vivian

Default LPG conversion

I read with interest that one can convert to lpg. Anyone care to explain what is involved and how much it would cost to have done? Where does one 'fill up' with lpg? I haven't noticed lpg pumps at the petrol stations. My car is a V90 (1997) and I do less that 5,000 miles per year now I am retired! Derek
derek vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to derek vivian For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 11:20   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek vivian View Post
I read with interest that one can convert to lpg. Anyone care to explain what is involved and how much it would cost to have done? Where does one 'fill up' with lpg? I haven't noticed lpg pumps at the petrol stations. My car is a V90 (1997) and I do less that 5,000 miles per year now I am retired! Derek
If you have a look on this and type your location into the search box on the page Derek, it should bring up places near you with prices (usually up to date) of LPG, as far as i can see at the moment, your nearest is the Texaco station at Kingswood but they were expensive on 6/11/2019 at 76p/L - however my internet is incredibly slow at the moment thanks to the weather and ancient underground cables that are effected badly by the damp!

https://www.filllpg.co.uk/index.php?page=lpg.php

In short, the conversion consists of an additional tank, usually either a "donut" tank that lives where the spare wheel does or a "torpedo" tank often mounted behind the rear seats. In a saloon, this isn't too much of a problem but absolutely ruins estate cars!

A fill line is then run to the LPG filler and another feed line to the engine bay where it enters what is known as a reducer. This is a coolant heated device to turn the liquid LPG into a gas which is then pressure regulated to about 1.0-1.4 bar (~15-20psi) and fed to a new injection rail where gas injectors feed it into the inlet manifold.

There is an LPG ECU mounted and connected to various electrical points and takes its basic signals from the original petrol injection injector signals.

The system is fully automatic in practice, you fill up with LPG and petrol (2 separate fillers) and then just drive as normal. The engine will always start on petrol and then when it reaches a certain temperature, switches automatically to gas operation. At that point the petrol injectors are switched off and the gas injectors are active. As they take the basic signals from the petrol injectors and process them through the LPG ECU, there is no change in servicing or tuning specifications.

In short, it's an alternative fuel source that is cheaper to use.

I would guess your course of action would be to have a new system fitted although you can do it yourself at home (requires the use of a laptop and preferably a co-driver during setting up) and generally a new, fitted, 4-cylinder system would be in the region of about £1000 all in.

If you're doing 5000 miles a year at let's say 25mpg, that's 200 gallons. That's £1200 at todays prices, roughly. Using LPG you'll save about half that amount so about £600/year.
Therefore, allowing for any error in calculations, the payback time would be in the region of 18 months and then you'd be saving about £600/year at todays prices.
This is just an example, use your own figures to work out a more accurate figure.

If you plan on touring abroad, you can get LPG over there as well but often you need a fill adaptor as some of the nozzles are different to the UK spec fillers.

When i had my Jeep (4.0 Cherokee) i was getting 24mpg on LPG and when i took the price difference into consideration, that was equivalent to running a petrol car at about 55mpg so it became my "weapon of choice" for any long distance stuff.

I'm in the process of converting my 760 at the moment but progress has stalled due to the weather and a couple of other reasons.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 11:32   #17
derek vivian

Default LPG conversion

Thanks for all that info Dave. I will be considering it but not immediately! As with cars that rely on electric charges can one get a map yet showing where lpg can be obtained? A book of maps covering Europe would be good, but sounds like too early to expect it in the shops!
Most grateful for all your help and just to say my engine continues to be running smooth and quite after using Carlube ATF-U on your suggestion. Derek
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 11:55   #18
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek vivian View Post
Thanks for all that info Dave. I will be considering it but not immediately! As with cars that rely on electric charges can one get a map yet showing where lpg can be obtained? A book of maps covering Europe would be good, but sounds like too early to expect it in the shops!
Most grateful for all your help and just to say my engine continues to be running smooth and quite after using Carlube ATF-U on your suggestion. Derek
The link in my post takes you to a map where you can find LPG stations Derek. If you have a smart phone with Google maps on it, not only can you download the Fill LPG app but it will find your nearest station that sells LPG and navigate the way there for you.

Fairly sure that there are still more LPG stations than EV charging stations, might be wrong of course but given your location, i would strongly suggest converting to LPG and getting it on the LPG register as you should (as long as they don't change the rules again) then be exempt from the Constipation - errr - Congestion Charge and also the ULEZ charges - doble check this though in case they have changed the rules!

Glad to hear the ATF-U is still doing its stuff!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 12:37   #19
capt jack
VOC Member

LPG can be a great move.

I had a 1997 V70 converted in 2005 and went on to do 250,000 trouble-free LPG miles over nine years.

I never had any issues with the conversion, nor any difficulty in finding LPG garages.

Plus most of those miles were charged to my employers at the HMRC official rate of 45p. Which meant that I was quids in.

I once calculated that my LPG V70 actually generated more income than I spent on buying, running and maintaining the car.

Of course it was a Volvo and thus capable of mega-miles!

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 13:50   #20
derek vivian

Default LPG conversion

I wonder if this subject would be a good one for an article in Volvo Driver magazine? I now have have the Fill LPG app on my smartphone in readiness. But I shall have to save up first so I can have the conversion done professionally ( I have done the maths and can see it will pay fir itself fairly quickly depending how many miles driving I can do). Unless the Government will allow me a grant!!!
Thanks all round guys for an interesting something to look forward to if I don't ever want to part with my V90. Derek