Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Glimmer of hope after transmission service urgent!

Views : 1258

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 1st, 2010, 22:16   #1
400-ascona
Premier Member

Default Glimmer of hope after transmission service urgent!

With 90k miles on 2005 T6, I wasn't surprised when gear service urgent light came on and it locked in 3rd gear. I carry a fault code reader because since I fitted a K&N filter and had it converted to gas it has occasionaly had MAF faults. So I reset the gearbox fault code (3rd gear ratio out or something like). Started thinking about selling the car until I spoke today to the Automatic gearbox company in Hilton Derbyshire. Apparently the MAF sensor is used in modern cars to control the gearbox (on automatics) as well as the engine. Advice was to bin the K&N, and fit standard filter with new OE MAF from Volvo. Don't fit pattern part or reconditioned as they may work, but won't work as well as a new one. Apparently if you drive an Audi with the MAF disconnected the box will destroy itself within 10 miles! So far I have swapped the air filter, and on a 15 minute drive the harsh and reluctant kick down seems to have gone, and the hunting motion on constant throttle also seems to have gone. He admitted the gearbox's are bad, and said that rebuilding them isn't worth it (he won't do them). Not many threads link gearbox problems to MAF, but changing the airflow through the MAF, or having a fauty but not failed MAF seems to affect the gearbox performance. Going to change the oil and filter in my gearbox this weekend, and see how it goes. £300 + VAT from volvo for MAF, but Bosch service centres can supply genuine Bosch for around £200 +VAT, which I hope to get tomorrow.
400-ascona is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 400-ascona For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 22:39   #2
400-ascona
Premier Member

Got a genuine Bosch MAF from CES in Derby. Smoother changes, seems better. Got the MAF for 189 incl VAT. Going to change the oil this weekend.....
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 22:13   #3
400-ascona
Premier Member

Getting the oil out the box without covering the drive in oil is difficult. Removed the bolts from the narrow end of the sump, and allowed the majority of oil to drain. Once the oil had slowed I removed the sump from the gearbox, and pulled the filter out of the gearbox. There is a small collar/seal sits inside the gearbox, and you get a new one with the new filter. Removed it with some difficulty and tapped the new one home with a little gearbox oil and a suitably sized socket as a drift. Once it was all cleaned down I put it all back together with new filter and sump gasket from volvo, and filled it through the dipstick hole. Managed to get 7 litres swapped out of the 12+. Checked and adjusted the level with the engine running which I assume is the correct method as its nowhere near on the dipstick when switched off.
The filter and sump gasket were approx £25 from volvo all in. The sump was fairly clean, with a small amount of slime around the magnet which I expected to find. I may change again in a few 100 miles to make sure its as clean as possible.
There is a way to swap the oil in the cooler too, but the chance of creating leaks on the joints, and the risk of having to run the box with them disconnected, i decided the double change option was less risky, but a bit more expensive and time consuming.
Gearbox feels a lot smoother, but need a longer run to get it thoroughly heat soaked to be sure.
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 21:25   #4
400-ascona
Premier Member

So changing the oil didn't work! I have now changed the gearbox (will write about it another time). The old gearbox was killed by the passenger side front drive shaft. The oil from the box got into the drive shaft and carried the grease back into the gearbox, wrecking the gearbox in the process. I have flushed through the cooler, and swapped the box and torque converter. Just got to rebuild 1 decent drive shaft out of the three I have and I will be able to see if all the work has been worth while. It's one to watch out for though. The end cap at the bottom of the drive shaft splines (gearbox end) had come off, and allowed the oil through. It looks like it was originaly welded on. Result is one knackered box and one knackered drive shaft. I'm also knackered after all the work to swap the box, not a job for the faint hearted!
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 23:36   #5
ianu
Premier Member

...all I can think of to say is 'blimey' - rather you than me...
ianu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 23:37   #6
ianu
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianu View Post
...all I can think of to say is 'blimey' - rather you than me...
..oh and thanks for the detailed updates - well done...
ianu is offline   Reply With Quote