Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Pollen filter question

Views : 2452

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 13th, 2010, 11:48   #1
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Default Pollen filter question

Can someone please post up a VIDA how to on the pollen filter change please? I have taken the old filter out but have forgotten to note the orientation of the filter to replace it!!!aaargh! I think it goes into the rearmost slot with the plastic fin at the top but should the lower flimsy plastic lip be pointing away or towards me? TIA

edit- no worries have done it now!

Last edited by bobdabuilda; Sep 13th, 2010 at 12:27.
bobdabuilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 12:39   #2
BestGear
Master Member

Ok, Ok, you beat me to it!

ANYWAY - will post a guide as I took some pictures for you!

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...045#post740045

D

Last edited by BestGear; Sep 13th, 2010 at 13:11.
BestGear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BestGear For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 12:57   #3
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Cheers David, is it best to squirt the aircon cleaner up through the pollen filter housing to get at the evaporator as you advised to clean previously?
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 15:46   #4
BestGear
Master Member

Hi

I have not cleaned out my Xc90 yet, but you need to aim for the "inward" facing ducting (as opposed to the outside of the car).

It looks like it may be tricky and somewhat painful to get down under the dash to insert the tube up into the correct duct, but is do-able.

If you put the fan on full blow, with aircon on cold, and set the car to take air from outside of the car - NOT recycle, it will suck in the contents of the aircon cleaner through the panel you remove to change the filter.

Don't flood the stuff in there, as you will be wetting the motor with the stuff - a good dose over a few minutes is ok though as the fluid will be carried in the air as its getting drawn in.

Ideally, you should try to get between the blower motor and the evapourator but without drilling holes, its often hard to get in there on many cars.

I am not sure yet if there is an access to the evaporator - I will have a look and let you know.

Without teaching granny here... the polen filter is "above" the motor shown at "4" in the diagram below... where it says "air from interior of car" and the evaporator is "5". (There is a flap/valve allowing the car to select air from outside, via polen filter or recirculation in front of the motor).

David

Last edited by BestGear; Sep 13th, 2010 at 15:50.
The Following User Says Thank You to BestGear For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 09:42   #5
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Since changing the pollen filter from the gsf aftermarket to a Volvo one yesterday I have no longer had smelly air con!! The one I removed was very crumpled and I don't think had been seated correctly in the housing and was obstructing the airflow in some way perhaps? -I will try and take a pic later. Suffice to say I am one happy bunny as the aircon is fresh and there seems to be better power too! Result.
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 12:16   #6
BestGear
Master Member

Great stuff!

I am surprised if the smell has gone... unless the old filter had been damp at some stage allowing bacteria to breed...

I personally would still go with an air con cleaner, seeing as you are at it now, just to prevent future build up anyway... for all it costs and minimal hassle...

At least its all a cheap fix.

David
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 12:30   #7
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Here's a pic of the removed filter which was as dry as a witches tit!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo0044.jpg (333.4 KB, 23 views)
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 13:39   #8
Jim314
Premier Member

Which of the two kinds of filter is that? Is the standard one which fits in the rear slot or the thicker one which fits in the forward slot, and which slot was this filter in? I understand that the thicker filter is impregnated with activated charcoal, but I don't know if this is visible or is covered by paper.

Does your XC90 have the optional pollution sensing climate module or the standard one? According to my manual I the pollution sensing system is identified by an extra LED in the recirc button.

I changed the standard filter on an XC90 (didn't have the pollution sensing option) and it was crumpled on the right side at the top. Inserting the new filter required a little finesse as it was catching. When I got it all the way in I slid it down vertically to the floor pan to see if I had crumpled it, and I had got it in without distortion of the filter. Then I carefully slid it back up and buttoned everything up.
Jim314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 14:56   #9
BestGear
Master Member

Hi

My guide - here -( http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...045#post740045 ) shows the filter change.

The filter, at least on the charcoal ones, has a couple of slits on the underside to allow it to bend and slide up into the housing.

My car does have the air quality option (and LED) - but would expect all premium vehicles such as the XC90 to have carbon impregnated filters fitted (part number may vary however) as that is the only way to really clean the air - normal paper only filters only really stop debris entering the vehicle... carbon does a degree of cleaning the air too (think: they used carbon in gas masks!).

David
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 16:23   #10
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

It's the thick activated carbon filter that is used in the multifunction climate control (the one with the 2 leds on the recirc button). It fits in the rearmost slot as you are looking at it ie the slot closest to the carpet wall of the footwell. It is an aftermarket gsf supplied one which is a very very tight fit compared to the volvo made one which I guess explains the degree of crumpling on it. Activated carbon/charcoal is used as a filtration substrate for air and liquids and does help reduce odours entering the car.