Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 Wind Noise Over 85 MPH

Views : 45589

Replies : 163

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 18th, 2011, 22:51   #121
dingledog

Quote:
Originally Posted by teghe View Post
HI
I have called Davis and he couldn't give me a precise answer. he said to fill all the gaps of the wing mirrors.
does anyone knows more?
thanks
Mine has now been back three times and no better, I have had the holes on the mirror taped and then the whole mirror filled with foam and two weeks ago a new door seal.. It's diabolical that Volvo can't sort out an obvious design error.

Last edited by dingledog; Sep 18th, 2011 at 22:51. Reason: Typo
dingledog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dingledog For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 08:40   #122
844PHW
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingledog View Post
Mine has now been back three times and no better, I have had the holes on the mirror taped and then the whole mirror filled with foam and two weeks ago a new door seal.. It's diabolical that Volvo can't sort out an obvious design error.
As there has been a lot of talk about filling the mirror housing with foam, it suggests there is the possibility of the hollow housing acting like an organ pipe and emitting a note once a certain speed is reached. If firm and complete packing of the housing doesn't fix it (a little bit of flexible foam stuffed in probably won't do), perhaps your particular problem is something else. On the easy end of the spectrum are you sure your windows are properly closed. Or on the difficult end perhaps a component such as the mirror mounting needs "adjusting" to fix it more securely. Also, it is a long shot, but always worth investigating if the underbody exhaust heatshield is properly secured. It can make a loud vibration if not correctly fitted. The problem looks to me more like a "gremlin" than "an obvious design error", if rather annoying.

If the problem is aerodynamic and speed related, there should be a minimum speed at which it first shows, a speed at which it becomes strong and perhaps even a speed at which it stops again (if something doesn't break first!).

Last edited by 844PHW; Sep 19th, 2011 at 08:49. Reason: additional comment
844PHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 09:13   #123
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingledog View Post
Especially bad given that this has been a known error since the initial models and also that your dealer does not seem able to speak to the other Volvo dealers that have resolved the issue.

2 years ago my dealer stated it was known error and that there was a fix on the Volvo system - perhaps you could remind your dealer that this has been resolved many, many times before. It took my dealer 5 mins in his workshop to fix my noise and it has never reappeared
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 14:01   #124
jmills01

As per suggestion by wimorrison (thanks a million!) mine's just come back from Squire Furneaux in Guildford and the wind noise is fixed. 3 visits to my local dealer with no result, one to Squires with instant resolution. Draw your own conclusions, but for me it was definitely worth a couple of trips round the M25 to get it solved.
jmills01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 00:39   #125
thatshowvolvo

Default Beatrice whistles too.

My 2012 S60 has a whistling sound between the left mirror and the A-pillar, starting at 45 MPH on up to 60 MPH. I have not driven faster yet. I hear this sound when I drive with the windows open. The dealer replaced the weather stripping on both sides. Still makes the same sound. I tried using tape just like the picture I found on here.

/Users/tjohn38250/Desktop/P1000596(1)(1).jpg

It works! It's ugly. I should not have to do this to a brand new car.

I was so ****ed when I came home from the dealer service. Now I'm just reminding myself that I wanted a quiet car and I should just shut the windows, turn on the a/c and enjoy the quiet.

Yes, I named my Volvo Beatrice.

Has anyone had this problem resolved by Volvo service?
thatshowvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 10:15   #126
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatshowvolvo View Post

Has anyone had this problem resolved by Volvo service?
Have you considered reading the post immediately above yours, or any of the others in the thread - answer is very clear
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 21:59   #127
chilton55555

Angry XC60 Wind Noise

Just checked back after a couple of years to see if this issue was fixed yet.
My dealer has tried everything to fix this I have now become used to it, rather like a 'ticking clock'. In desperation in an attempt to pacify me and demonstrate how quite my car was the Volvo mechanic took me out in a new Volvo XC60, the noise was much worse than my XC60, hence I agreed just to live with it until I buy my next car. The moral of this story is surely obvious to readers of this tread. Now try to guess which car I will not be buying later this year.................On a positive note, no other problems with this otherwise superb motor and residuals are excellent.
chilton55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 17:17   #128
jmills01

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilton55555 View Post
Just checked back after a couple of years to see if this issue was fixed yet.
My dealer has tried everything to fix this I have now become used to it, rather like a 'ticking clock'. In desperation in an attempt to pacify me and demonstrate how quite my car was the Volvo mechanic took me out in a new Volvo XC60, the noise was much worse than my XC60, hence I agreed just to live with it until I buy my next car. The moral of this story is surely obvious to readers of this tread. Now try to guess which car I will not be buying later this year.................On a positive note, no other problems with this otherwise superb motor and residuals are excellent.

But as per other posts, somehow Squire Furneaux *do* know how to resolve it. I don't know how far away you are from them, but in my case it was worth the drive to have the blasted problem actually resolved rather than constant and futile trips to my local dealer.

It shouldn't happen on any vehicle let alone a "premium" marque such as Volvo and their inability to fix (let alone engineer-out given that the XC60 is not a new product) this issue is causing major customer satisfaction issues.

As it happens I have a host of other issues with my vehicle which aren't being resolved either so I sympathise with you. And Volvo Customer Care are useless so I wouldn't bother with that route.
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 17:19   #129
jmills01

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmills01 View Post
But as per other posts, somehow Squire Furneaux *do* know how to resolve it. I don't know how far away you are from them ...
Ooh, just seen you're in Durham! That is quite far. Perhaps they'll tell your local Volvo shop how to fix it. I suspect that the fix is pretty low-tech - there's talk on the thread of filler type materials etc.
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 18:44   #130
XC60MY12
Country Member

I know it's no consolation but for those potential buyers reading this, it is not a problem that affects all XC60s. I have no wind noise (from the mirrors anyway ) or, if there is any, I'm not aware of it. I do have laminated windows but I doubt if that would prevent me from hearing it, as I'm very sensitive to extraneous sounds.

That is not to underestimate the frustration of those who do have the problem. I would advise anyone thinking of buying an XC60 to raise this matter with the seller, supported by a copy of this thread, and make it clear that the car will be rejected if the problem is present.