Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What sounds like wheel bearing

Views : 616

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 5th, 2009, 15:15   #1
stevelolly

Default What sounds like wheel bearing

My S60 D5 has developed a noise over the last couple of days that sounds like a wheel bearing on i believe the front , but its difficult to tell at this stage as it isn't bad yet . My concern is that i'm driving to France on Thursday and i'm worried that it may get alot worse or fail all together . Whats the geneal opinion , do they just get gradually worse over time or is this going to threaten my trip ?
Its an 03 with 83000 mls , are bearings prone to going around this mileage ? Its just had a pair of front wishbones and an intercooler so could well do without the expense !
Any advice be much appreciated .

Steve
stevelolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 17:52   #2
stevo48
Premier Member

try swapping your tyres front to back see if that makes any difference.
stevo48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 22:55   #3
Rover Saloon

If you go back a few days posts you will come across my one regarding this for an S80. I believe they are very similar. For what it is worth, I heard a faint whine about 1000 miles ago and it's been getting progressively worse. Initially I thought it was the nearside front bearing but, because of no signs of the usual symptoms e.g. play in the hub and increased noise on cornering to the right, I began to worry that we could be talking about gearbox diff/final drive problems. However, by keeping calm and not thinking too much about the £2k to fix the gearbox, the wheel bearing has finally shown it's hand. The whine has turned into a rumble and, when you jack the wheel up and spin it (not easy with fw drive) then there is a faint grinding noise that is not noticable on the other side when you do the same.
How long have you got to drive in France? I would say that you could have a range of anything between 500-1000 miles. However, bear in mind it's a hub replacement rather than just the bearings and so not a roadside repair. If I were you, I'd get it fixed before you go.
Rover Saloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 23:07   #4
rippedoffagain
Premier Member

I had a wheel bearing just started to go once and I took it to the garage straight away. They said it would last another 10,000 miles before it needed doing. A few days later I was driving along a dual carriage way when suddenly the steering wheel started to vibrate like crazy. I managed to complete the journey but it was no fun driving while it was like that.
rippedoffagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 23:21   #5
Grim Deano

Jack the car up so the wheel is of the ground, grab the top of the wheel and the bottom of the wheel, and try moving the wheel back and forth, if there is any play then the bearing is definately on its way out, i would personally get it sorted right away.
Grim Deano is offline   Reply With Quote