Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Gear box/Drive noises/clunks- help/advice please

Views : 265

Replies : 0

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 10:51   #1
SeancXC90

Default Gear box/Drive noises/clunks- help/advice please

Morning All,

Just returned from a 4000 mile round trip in Europe, and have an issue that id like some advice from your good selves please.

On the return leg, 3 days ( did around 7-10 hrs per day driving at approx 80-95 mph).

I noticed the car was making a noise at low speed.

It doesn't do it whilst coasting in neutral, as it 1st sounded like a dry/squeaky joint/rubber/mount etc..

So for me, it points to the drive system.

It only does it when under acceleration, light and heavy.it does it in W mode and drive, and also manual selection.

The gear changes are all fine up and down manual selection and auto.

Whilst driving in car parks at very low speed, the car clunks seemingly on all 4 wheels as if driving with brakes on.

The clunking is much less when driving forward normally and not parking with steering full lock on ( its not CV joints )

The noise seems to disappear at over 50-60 mph, lower than this you can feel resistance/clunks through your bum in the seat from the drive.

Whether its the gearbox or drive shafts I am not sure, it seems to be getting worse as I arrived home yesterday.

The car is a 2010 2.4 auto XC90 185 BHP.

1st thing I was going to do was check/drain and refill auto box oil

However when I bought it, the owner told me he had recently changed this, as I normally change with all cars I buy, and I saw a receipt for the

oil in the paperwork, however it may be it wasn't done so I will renew at the weekend.

Has anyone experienced any thing like this before? or have any advice.

My hunch is its something nasty.

Thanks in advance all,

Sean
SeancXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote