Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear Door Rust

Views : 552

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 12th, 2020, 14:43   #1
mprcomp

Default Rear Door Rust

We have an XC90 and the passenger rear has gained some rust on. On my car it has a plastic cover on the other door. Did all doors come with this protector on originally or did Volvo have to do lots of warranty work on these to sort them out?

Also where do you get the plastic guard that is on them so that once we get it fixed can put the protector on to protect it.

It's going to cost about 320 to repair. I quite fancy another XC90 but worried they all get this rust. The repairer has said they won't be able to give a warranty with it.
mprcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2020, 15:15   #2
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

If your affected door did not have the clear plastic protector on it I can only assume that it has been repaired before.

How old is the car and what colour?

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old May 12th, 2020, 17:52   #3
Dastardly Diesel

Body rust is rare on these, even the early models. No way on Earth do "they all" get that.

As aforementioned, the absence of the protector indicates that this has seen a body shop already at some time in its life, so the original Volvo finish has been messed with, and that would only have happened if the door had been damaged in some manner and required a paint repair.

You could order them from the dealers, or you could make your own with a sheet of heli-tape.
Dastardly Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2020, 21:50   #4
mprcomp

Thanks for that. It's a 59 plate with 87K on clock. Might see if can PX it for a 2013 model and see if that fares better.
mprcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2020, 11:56   #5
ianu
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly Diesel View Post
Body rust is rare on these, even the early models. No way on Earth do "they all" get that.

As aforementioned, the absence of the protector indicates that this has seen a body shop already at some time in its life, so the original Volvo finish has been messed with, and that would only have happened if the door had been damaged in some manner and required a paint repair.

You could order them from the dealers, or you could make your own with a sheet of heli-tape.
Agreed, if you've got rust appearing on a door, it's highly likely to have been repaired previously. Mine is 16 years old and apart from a couple of stone chips that need attention - there's no sign anywhere else on the body work of rust (underneath does look a bit shabby now though - but I'm not overly worried :-) )
Cheers
Ian.
ianu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2020, 08:20   #6
robsterpaterson

I'd be wary of any repairer unwilling to offer warranty on a repair. Sounds like they're just going to bodge and you'll see it going rusty again within 6 months.
'01 ZX12R
robsterpaterson is offline   Reply With Quote