Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Loosing coolant s40

Views : 529

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 20th, 2012, 15:58   #1
holmsey

Default Loosing coolant s40

Anyone else had experienced this? I have a s40 05 plate 2.0d euro 4 and im loosing coolant. Cannot see any visible leak.
holmsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 16:20   #2
EricMe
V50 Driver

Often the first sign of a blown head gasket ! Have you noticed any extra water vapour in the exhaust (though there will always be some there from combustion products).
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 16:31   #3
holmsey

no not noticed anything unusual. everything seems fine, oil seems good too. I have to fill coolant up every 3-4 days or so!
holmsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 17:33   #4
ncarnall

I had a similar problem on my older C70 t5, The expansion tank had a tiny crack which only seemed to leak when car was cooling down. It had me mystified for weeks as couldn't see a leak but level would drop every couple of days and then by chance I popped into the supermarket just to grab a couple of things and was out again within a few mins when I noticed fluid leaking out from under car. When I popped the bonnet it was coming from underneath the expansion tank. Apparently it's quite common so maybe worth a look.
ncarnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 19:34   #5
kebab10
Premier Member

Try this. Get some cardboard and anchor it under the engine on the ground obviously, and leave overnight. Hopefully it will still be there in the morning and then you can see if there are any tell tale stains of coolant leaking. May or may not work. Costs nothing to try though.
kebab10 is offline   Reply With Quote