Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help with wheel size and specs.

Views : 652

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 4th, 2020, 16:02   #1
Pashabg

Default Help with wheel size and specs.

Hi folks!

My car's ride feels very rough and my tyres are on the way, so I think it is the perfect time to consider swapping the wheels. However, I have several issues:
1. Is there a way to know what is the exact wheels/tyres size, my particular car came with? I searched, but could not find any information. I found info, that my car version was sold with 16 inch wheels only and on some places there is a suggestion that 17 inch option was available as well. The wheels I got it with are BBS Nebula 18 inch wheels with 235/40/18 Kumho tyres.
2. Does anybody have the exact specification (or a trusted website I can check it out) of the stock wheels, my car came with (was suppose to come)?
3. I am currently looking at Ronal wheels, and more specifically R46, R56 and R65 models, all 16 inch, as I am after more comfortable and settled ride. The problem is, non of these aftermarket wheels seem to be the exact offset (which I believe is 49mm). There are 40mm, 45, 50, and some other brands offer 48mm but no 49mm. Would 1 mm difference be an issue or it wouldn't matter. The centre bore is also a problem, because I believe my car has 65.1 mm, however, all aftermarket wheels have 70 mm and up. The closest I sow was 63, which is actually less. And finally, there seem to be two options for wheel width - 6.5 and 7 inch. How to tell which I need? I found info, my care was sold with either 205/55/16 or 215/55/16 wheels. I would like to get the 215/55/16 ( I guess they would be better) - does this mean I would need wheels with 7 inch width?

Almost forgot.....the car is S60, 2.0T, 2006 facelift model. I believe my front brake discs are either 300 or 305 mm but (caliper was on the way to measure them properly) but I am quite sure they are not the 320 ones. The wheels I have look nice but the ride is hard and I have the feeling the car struggles with them. It feels heavy from start, it is hard to get it moving and it doesn't seem to like turns.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Pashabg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2020, 18:35   #2
XCR
Master Member

https://volvo-wheels.com/category/ri.../17-inch-rims/

Have a look around this site....
XCR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XCR For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 7th, 2020, 02:38   #3
XCR
Master Member

Or this one....
https://www.wheelfitment.eu/car/Volv...-%202000).html
XCR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XCR For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 7th, 2020, 05:23   #4
simonwedge

On the centre bore question, you can buy spigot rings that bridge the gap for wheels with a larger centre bore (and therefore keep the wheel centred: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...+65.1&_sacat=0
The Following User Says Thank You to simonwedge For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 7th, 2020, 05:25   #5
Pashabg

Thank you! Both websites very useful.

I did some further reading and I will answer my own questions for anyone, who has the same issues.

I am reasonably sure that my version , which is 2.0T facelift, came with only 16 and 17 inch wheels. The 18 I have were taken from 2.4T or something similar with bigger calipers and way more power. This is probably why the car feels heavy from the start and when stoping.

Similar offset wheels can be used, but it is not recommended to go over five mm + or -.

Still not quite sure about the centre bore, but as far as I understand.....if it is one or two mm minus, the excess can be filed down with sandpaper or if is plus, it wouldn't be a problem.Also, I think some kind of adopters exist for this situation.
Old Aug 7th, 2020, 05:29   #6
Pashabg

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonwedge View Post
On the centre bore question, you can buy spigot rings that bridge the gap for wheels with a larger centre bore (and therefore keep the wheel centred: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...+65.1&_sacat=0
Yes, I didn't know what they are called.
Thank you very much!
Old Aug 8th, 2020, 17:41   #7
Pashabg

Guy, I don't want to start new thread, so, quick question on my development here...

I have decided to keep the current Nebula 18 inch wheels for now. I need to replace two tires. Would it be good idea to put two new 225/40/18 tyres at front and keep the partly worn 235/40/18 at rear?

The reason for wanting to get narrower tyres is not only cost but also to reduce noise, tramlining, bump steer and to get lighter steering experience. Any ideas?
Old Aug 8th, 2020, 17:52   #8
Simmy
Premier Member

its the 40 profile that giving the bad ride quality. what are your shock absorbers like ? how many miles on your car?
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2020, 18:12   #9
Pashabg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
its the 40 profile that giving the bad ride quality. what are your shock absorbers like ? how many miles on your car?
I am aware, yes. But I am trying to improve what I can. Shoscks are TRW. Struts (shocks, front springs and mounts), ball joints, tie rods, drop links - all replaced in the last month. Mileage is 124k.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pashabg For This Useful Post:

Tags
rims, spec, tyres, wheels