Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 Hardtop convertable 06-07 buyers tips?

Views : 797

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 27th, 2013, 17:50   #1
andytc

Default C70 Hardtop convertable 06-07 buyers tips?

Currently own a 2005 C70 soft top and thinking of moving on to a hardtop 2006 /2007 model convertable in the new year .

Any buyers guides anywhere or advice on common problems ?

looking for an auto box , advice on engine types appreciated.
andytc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2013, 16:14   #2
Proghound
Volvo and Audi owner

I have the D5 SE on an '08 plate, manual. Also drove a 2.0D manual before I bought it, and the D5 just sounds and pulls so much better. It doesn't have to be uneconomical either (although I couldn't vouch for the auto). Neither of the two engines' DPF systems likes being stuck in the city, but other than that the one on the D5 doesn't need any expensive scheduled replacement or maintenance.

Whichever one you go for, don't expect a tight turning circle or taut handling, the steering lock is limited due to 7.5J wheels and it's softly sprung, although pretty solid in terms of scuttle shake. If you can get it, a windbreak makes a big difference - comes as standard on the SE and above. Parking sensors are very helpful (but you probably already know that from the rag-top).

As for common problems, see the other P1 models - the C30/S40/V50 range which, other than the roof systems, have the same underpinnings, drivetrains and electrics. There are far more of those on the roads, so far more posts in the forum. Generally nothing too serious though, it seems.

Current: 2012 C70 D3 SE Lux Solstice Geartronic, Caspian Blue.
Also: 2002 Audi A2 TDI SE, Crystal Blue
Previous: 2008 C70 D5 SE manual, Flint Grey.
Proghound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2013, 20:26   #3
adebendanchris

Some good advice in ProgHound's note.

I've got the 2.0D manual and it doesn't pull well. So much so that I've had it remapped (and it is now a lot better). The D5 is definitely a better option. As with many people on the forums I'd personally avoid the DPF system that needs top ups - not good.

I've had the car 2 years - no major issues but I did downgrade my wheels to 17" as I think they suit the car better - handles better and rides better.

As I expect you know check the roof closely and ensure it has been greased / maintained. Mine's been fine but you do hear of issues. I also lubricate all the rubbers twice per year.
adebendanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2013, 20:48   #4
twntechservices

I have a 2007 T5 manual SE Lux.
I'd say watch out for the oil filter housing diaphragm splitting problem on the T5, it's well reported on here.

Otherwise generally for the car I'd say it is pretty hard on the suspension, I think the car is too heavy for the Focus running gear so bushes, ball joints, shocks etc need careful maintenance, especially if runing 18" wheels as in my case. And with these wheels watch for cracking on the inner edges from potholes, I've had them welded 3 times now.

Parking sensors are very much needed, it's impossible to judge where the back is. And the steering lock is awful. Also even with the T5 it doesn't feel fast, it's a touring car rather than sports.

Ideally stick to the D5 or T5. 2.0D is good for economy though. 2.4i will be cheapest but similar to consumption to the T5 without the power.

Later models have USB aux input, earlier like mine just 3.5mm.

It's also my personal preference but I'd say the wood trim you can get on the centre console looks absolutely hideous, the aluminium is much nicer.
twntechservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2013, 00:39   #5
Mikethelaserman

My wife's is a D5 Geartronic and at 180 HP is definitely not overpowered - just reasonably brisk.

Look out for odd wear on the tyres : the previous owner had spent a fortune on full geometry checks (which seems to have done the trick as she does a high mileage and will be getting about 2 years from the fronts and more from the backs).

Wife's one seems prone to electrical and computer faults. Often gets warning messages that go away again and now a mystery power drain that flattens the battery overnight. After this I would be very wary if there was the slightest hint of an electrical problem.
Mikethelaserman is offline   Reply With Quote