Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

window switches

Views : 525

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 27th, 2020, 15:57   #1
psl
Master Member

Default window switches

Are the pre face lift drivers door, bank of window switches compatible to the face lift ones? My face lift window switches seem to be made of chocolate, as the pass switch now the twin of my broken drivers window switch, they still work but are rather sharp. There is an 02 plate being broken in my local scrap yard.
psl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2020, 17:45   #2
oragex
Premier Member

Can't answer, but if you find out let us know
Old Jan 27th, 2020, 19:00   #3
100K+
Premier Member

The answer to this question is historically switches do not work from car to car. However some have found if they get units from the same model year/same model there is a better chance of success. Personally it did not work on the two occasions I tried (v70 2002 T5) Others I know have had success based on same selection procedure.
So prefacelift into face lift??? I'd say no.

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2020, 19:14   #4
psl
Master Member

Will have to bite the bullet and buy some ( same year ) switches off the bay. Shame really as the quality on the facelift switches doesn't seem to be of the same standard of the older ones
Old Jan 28th, 2020, 09:33   #5
100K+
Premier Member

There is a memory in my dim distant past that someone ( on here?) discovered/realised the units are made of two separate components - an upper mechanical/ manual bit ( the actual switches) and a lower electronic bit. Its the electronic bit that causes the non compliance issue, but the upper bits can be swapped out much easier. ie S60 in to S80 in to V70...

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2020, 21:53   #6
jnmonaghan

Default Ddm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100K+ View Post
There is a memory in my dim distant past that someone ( on here?) discovered/realised the units are made of two separate components - an upper mechanical/ manual bit ( the actual switches) and a lower electronic bit. Its the electronic bit that causes the non compliance issue, but the upper bits can be swapped out much easier. ie S60 in to S80 in to V70...

Cheers
Bob
I changed the top part of the DDM (drivers door module) because some of the buttons were not illuminating. If your plastic buttons need to be replaced, get a similar DDM ,and separate the two parts. Its the lower part that has the programming.Note the DDM is screwed to the door card.

Jude
The Following User Says Thank You to jnmonaghan For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 30th, 2020, 23:38   #7
jnmonaghan

Default DDM plastic switches

psi
post a photo of the visible switches. I might have one.

Jude
Old Feb 2nd, 2020, 09:41   #8
psl
Master Member

Thanks for the offer Jude but I managed to get the top part from a Volvo breaking in Nottingham, same year and spec as mine. Just need to fit it
Old Feb 2nd, 2020, 11:43   #9
Brendan W
Premier Member

Check the condition of the contacts beneath the rubber mat and the level of gunge in the switch rockers themselves. Storage conditions at breakers can leave a lot to be desired. A spray of contact cleaner will do no harm.
If memory serves there is a sticker on the bottom of the lower part of the module with an eight digit number that is a good indicator of an exact match.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote