Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Looking to buy - query

Views : 555

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 24th, 2020, 21:02   #1
Alpine

Default Looking to buy - query

Hello

I am looking at changing my S70 to another Volvo as I've had it 3 years and fancy a change.

I've been looking at the second generation V70 model ('00-'07) but it has a pretty awful reliability reputation, and the later model ('07 +) has en electric handbrake which I want to avoid

Does the XC90 have the same reputation as the 2nd gen V70? Or is it based more on the S80?

And does it have an electric handbrake? I thought it did but then on some photos I have looked at (on Autotrader) I think I can see a foot brake by the clutch / brake.

I guess a manual XC90 is pretty rare?

cheers
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 21:36   #2
Chunk11

Hi,

Yes the manual xc90’s are very rare and with regards to the handbrake it’s
probably the most hated thing by all and yes it is a manual foot brake!
If maintained properly, genuine parts used and it is used regularly instead of the vehicle just being put into park then it is pretty reliable but there are a lot of threads about the handbrake being ineffective normally due to lack of use or because genuine parts weren’t used.
There are adjusters that can be fitted aswell if required.

Can’t comment on which car it is based on but I have had a 57 plate for 4 years and it’s been very reliable. Cars pre 2006 had issues re awd and a few other bits and pieces so if you can go for an 07 plate onwards not that they are perfect but more of the common issues had been ironed out for want of a better phrase.
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 22:34   #3
Tineca

Had an s80 with electric handbrake and is no problem at all. I even changed the rear pads myself. Got a 12 xc90 now. Absolutely brilliant. Handbrake doesn't bother me. The turning circle is the only negative and the 27mpg around town.
Tineca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 00:23   #4
Alpine

thanks both, that is useful.

I am set against an electric handbrake but maybe its because I am living in the past !
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 05:36   #5
4x4
Premier Member

I have a manual XC90 with the foot operated parking brake and it’s not a problem if the brake is adjusted and working properly
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 08:21   #6
Tineca

The electric handbrake takes a little getting used too but is fine. Imagine facing down and being parked on a hill. There is a car parked in front so you have to reverse uphill. Put the car in reverse and lift up the clutch and the handbrake will come off automatically. If you went into 1at to pull forward the handbrake would not come off automatically you would need to take it off manually. It's a bit clever.
Tineca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 08:27   #7
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I don’t understand why you think the P2 V70 is unreliable - it is not.

The mechanicals and electrics are as close as makes no difference to the mk 1 S80/XC90. The electric handbrake on the p3 v70 probably is statistically much cheaper to maintain over the life of the car than on the the XC90. Unless you like doing handbrake turns the electric variant is more effective.

Around 1 in 20 XC90 sold in the UK was manual. During the last few years of production manuals were not available.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Jan 25th, 2020 at 08:34.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 11:13   #8
Dastardly Diesel

I'd be interested as to how and electric motor pulling cable is cheaper to maintain that a lever pulling a cable, particularly as the switches in the cabin are prone to falling apart and requiring replacement.

I also actually prefer electric handbrakes, I just cannot see how they'd be any cheaper to maintain or repair when they're mechanically more complex and the additional componentry costs £90 each for the parts, and there are two of them, plus fitting.
Dastardly Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 12:49   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Hello

I am looking at changing my S70 to another Volvo as I've had it 3 years and fancy a change.

I've been looking at the second generation V70 model ('00-'07) but it has a pretty awful reliability reputation, and the later model ('07 +) has en electric handbrake which I want to avoid

Does the XC90 have the same reputation as the 2nd gen V70? Or is it based more on the S80?

And does it have an electric handbrake? I thought it did but then on some photos I have looked at (on Autotrader) I think I can see a foot brake by the clutch / brake.

I guess a manual XC90 is pretty rare?

cheers
I don't know where you get your information from , The 2000 - 2007 V70 is a fine reliable car ..

The XC90 is based on the S80 but with heavier suspension parts .
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 14:19   #10
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly Diesel View Post
I'd be interested as to how and electric motor pulling cable is cheaper to maintain that a lever pulling a cable, particularly as the switches in the cabin are prone to falling apart and requiring replacement.

I also actually prefer electric handbrakes, I just cannot see how they'd be any cheaper to maintain or repair when they're mechanically more complex and the additional componentry costs £90 each for the parts, and there are two of them, plus fitting.
I have that view because the electric handbrakes work by using the rear brake caliper pads to lock the wheels. The manual parking brake models such as the Mk 1 XC90 have a separate set of brake shoes within the hub in addition to the rear service brake pads. On cars with automatic gearboxes (i.e. 95% of them) few owners use the handbrake as often as they should (if at all) instead relying on the "p" park function and they fall into disrepair due to corrosion of the brake drum and mechanisms, necessitating new discs, pads and shoes every other MOT or so. I expect if you could pull MOT fail statistics for the XC90 - the parking brake would be in the top 3 reasons with blown bulbs and worn tyres.

Also on the Volvo cars there are no cables or linkages with the electric handbrake (unlike the halfway house bodge on the post 2004 Discovery), the motors are built into the rear caliper and operate on the piston directly. The electric handbrakes have no maintenance overhead on top of keeping the service brake in good condition.

If anyone has time on their hands I'd challenge them to pick 5 x 2009 or older XC90's for sale on Autotrader and run the registration number thought the government MOT history website and just see how many times the parking brake has resulted in a fail or advisory. Then compare that to 5 x 2007-2009 V70's.

EDIT: Try finding a 10 year old XC90 where the parking brake isn't mentioned on any of the MOT's...
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Jan 26th, 2020 at 14:33.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post: