Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Annual service

Views : 1859

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 13th, 2018, 10:20   #1
Haldex
Premier Member

Default Annual service

Ok, just done my first annual service- the car is at a about 22K kms- and to my (pleasant..) surprise- nothing had to be done outside the scheduled maintenance items - ie. oil, oil/air filters, cabin filter, and updates.

Now I expected the fuel filter to be included in the annual maintenance- but they told me it's every other year or 60K kms. This seems a bit high so I was thinking of having it ordered an replace it myself. Has anyone done it on a diesel SPA and is it much involving?

Also- my understanding is that transfer fluid is not to be serviced at all (ie. a closed system?!) whereas on old cars it had to be changed every other year if I remember correctly.. Same for A/T fluid- they're telling me that it doesn't have to be replaced?! Can someone confirm this?

XC40 B4 RD AWD

Last edited by Haldex; Dec 13th, 2018 at 10:26.
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2018, 23:12   #2
Haldex
Premier Member

No one?.. Thought we’ve had a few volvo techs on the forum..

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 02:01   #3
Quacker
Premier Member

Why are you worried about any of this at less than 80,000 kilometres? The fuel filter has a water sensor and every 50,000 kms is probably about right for changing unless you pick up dirty fuel. In which case the worse that happens is that the filter restricts flow and the car will fail to pull and splutter until the filter is changed. There is no bipass like an oil filter.

Auto Transmission is best drained and refilled at around 80,000 miles if worked hard and then every 40,000. The original oil tends to go out of spec at around 100,000 on average and transmission fail at a 150,000 mile design life. It will last much longer if the fluid is partly changed [lots will be left inside unless flushed] as I describe above. Talking in general terms here because I don’t know whether this transmission is better, worse or average in longevity.

Look for videos on Haldex V maintenance for guidance with back axle.

Last edited by Quacker; Dec 14th, 2018 at 02:08.
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quacker For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 09:25   #4
taylora

That was a big discussion point over at BMW forums when I had a 320d. They also have no service requirement to change diff oil or transmission fluid on their latest cars. Sealed for life was the manufacturer's position on it.
The Following User Says Thank You to taylora For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 10:22   #5
Haldex
Premier Member

Thanks for the input guys. No worries about the fuel filter- however I do drive in adverse climate conditions (the Alps..) for good part of the year- which may result in higher than normal water accumulation (due to condensation etc), plus I drive through different countries in Europe- ie. buying diesel of unconfirmed quality/purity- so I just thought I should take some preventative measures..

What really worries me though is the transmission and transfer (Haldex) fluids.. Every single A/T car I've had had to have ATF serviced periodically.. On top of it- quite a few of them had an ATF filter that had to be replaced as part of the regular maintenance. Also, on my previous gen XC60 (Haldex V, just like the SPA XC60..), transfer fluid had to be replaced periodically (not sure but I think it was every other year..)

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 11:06   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldex View Post
Ok, just done my first annual service- the car is at a about 22K kms- and to my (pleasant..) surprise- nothing had to be done outside the scheduled maintenance items - ie. oil, oil/air filters, cabin filter, and updates.

Now I expected the fuel filter to be included in the annual maintenance- but they told me it's every other year or 60K kms. This seems a bit high so I was thinking of having it ordered an replace it myself. Has anyone done it on a diesel SPA and is it much involving?

Also- my understanding is that transfer fluid is not to be serviced at all (ie. a closed system?!) whereas on old cars it had to be changed every other year if I remember correctly.. Same for A/T fluid- they're telling me that it doesn't have to be replaced?! Can someone confirm this?

No problems with fuel filters they get changed every other service, Rear axle oils are the very best quality synthetic and in the past 15 years on the older models never give oil problems .

They are wrong about the auto gearbox , in your conditions should have an oil change every other service according to the volvo schedule or at 54000 if it were mine ..
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 12:05   #7
Haldex
Premier Member

Thanks Clan! That's reassuring.

On the positive side- a closed rear diff system reduces the cost of maintenance.

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Old Dec 15th, 2018, 22:35   #8
gaby
Premier Member

I replaced the oil of the (manual) transmission, the AOC and the rear differential of our XC70.
In time, I plan to do the same with the XC90.
Old Dec 16th, 2018, 11:52   #9
Haldex
Premier Member

Thanks gaby. I found this XC70 “how to” video on transfer fluid servicing- this being a Haldex V I can imagine the process is very similar on SPA cars. Not that I would attempt doing it myself (the car is under warranty..) but it feeds my curiosity

https://youtu.be/uZNC06Z7imQ

Manual gearbox oil change is probably an overkill though..

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Old Dec 16th, 2018, 15:15   #10
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldex View Post
Manual gearbox oil change is probably an overkill though..
Possibly, but it made me sleep better
I did it when the car was 8 years old. I didn't had it analysed, but the oil/fluid was quite dark.