Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Those old T5 pressure sensor blues

Views : 1079

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 10th, 2018, 02:06   #1
moorgate

Default Those old T5 pressure sensor blues

The Symptom: T5 auto V50 will "stutter" at light throttle. This happens when pretty warm - in fact, long after I think the engine must be completely warm. it manifests as dead throttle: you can push down pretty much as far as you like, and nothing at all will happen. Backing off the throttle seems to clear the fault: But on my most recent trip into Europe, it was plainly getting worse as the weather got colder. Eventually, once back in the UK, I was getting "the staggers" as we started to call it, almost as the engine started.

Clearly time to get this sorted. I ordered a replacement sensor, watched the instrucitonal youtube videos, and waited for a resonably nice winter's day. With Torque Pro fired up and the engine running, I could see 9 or 10 fault codes, which of course I didn't write down: But I remember most of them alleging that the fuel rail pressure was too high.

So on with the fix, and I had the rail depressurised and the battery off pretty quickly - but the plastic body of the sensor itself wasn't budging. eventually I thought "I have the spare right here" and got the Big Screwdriver out. Somewhat chewed the housing but out she came, and the new one went back in with roughly the same level of effort. Happy Days, I thought.

Well, happy until I turned the engine on: fuel spraying out all over the option. Depressurize again, get the old sensor back from the trash, pull the new sensor out: it's so much the wrong part that it's nipped a seegment of the sealing ring off. Before I put the old sensor back I give it some TLC: a squirt of carb cleaner and some very light spray oil on the shaft that goes into the rail and carries the sealing ring. It glides back in on angels' wings.

And then the bloody fault goes away! Gave it a right thrapping out to the M25 and back, and would it slip into stagger mode or light up a fault? Not one.

Could it really be that the old sensor was just dried out? I will be having an exchange of views with the vendor of the new one, but it still seems a bit odd that the entire fault goes away just from a quirt of a couple of aerosols on the sensor!

The other odd thing was that when I cleared the fault codes in Torque, the engine game a little stumble, as I pressed OK. Could it have been held in some unhelpful failsafe mode the whole time, until I hit it with the bluetooth reader and spruced up the sensor?
moorgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2018, 11:18   #2
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorgate View Post
The Symptom: T5 auto V50 will "stutter" at light throttle. This happens when pretty warm - in fact, long after I think the engine must be completely warm. it manifests as dead throttle: you can push down pretty much as far as you like, and nothing at all will happen. Backing off the throttle seems to clear the fault: But on my most recent trip into Europe, it was plainly getting worse as the weather got colder. Eventually, once back in the UK, I was getting "the staggers" as we started to call it, almost as the engine started.

Clearly time to get this sorted. I ordered a replacement sensor, watched the instrucitonal youtube videos, and waited for a resonably nice winter's day. With Torque Pro fired up and the engine running, I could see 9 or 10 fault codes, which of course I didn't write down: But I remember most of them alleging that the fuel rail pressure was too high.

So on with the fix, and I had the rail depressurised and the battery off pretty quickly - but the plastic body of the sensor itself wasn't budging. eventually I thought "I have the spare right here" and got the Big Screwdriver out. Somewhat chewed the housing but out she came, and the new one went back in with roughly the same level of effort. Happy Days, I thought.

Well, happy until I turned the engine on: fuel spraying out all over the option. Depressurize again, get the old sensor back from the trash, pull the new sensor out: it's so much the wrong part that it's nipped a seegment of the sealing ring off. Before I put the old sensor back I give it some TLC: a squirt of carb cleaner and some very light spray oil on the shaft that goes into the rail and carries the sealing ring. It glides back in on angels' wings.

And then the bloody fault goes away! Gave it a right thrapping out to the M25 and back, and would it slip into stagger mode or light up a fault? Not one.

Could it really be that the old sensor was just dried out? I will be having an exchange of views with the vendor of the new one, but it still seems a bit odd that the entire fault goes away just from a quirt of a couple of aerosols on the sensor!

The other odd thing was that when I cleared the fault codes in Torque, the engine game a little stumble, as I pressed OK. Could it have been held in some unhelpful failsafe mode the whole time, until I hit it with the bluetooth reader and spruced up the sensor?

I had that "little stumble" of the engine on my S60 when I cleared the codes... never got it on my S40 though.

Those FPS are known to go bad on these cars....I remember when mine went on my old T5.... under hard acceleration the engine would suddenly cut all power and "engine system service required".

What part number was your replacement sensor? I ordered a bosch replacement for mine at the time and didn't have any compatibility issues.
Old Dec 10th, 2018, 11:30   #3
domhart10
Volvo S40

Had the problem with mine but not that extreme as changed it very quickly. As soon as I noticed a tiny hessitation when on full throttle I swapped it out.

At first I thought it might of been the MAF as had similar problems with diesels MG's where the turbo would kick in and then at about 2.5k for a moment would go dull then kick back in again. I swapped out that FPS for another bosch one and is fine to date but will probably swap in for a new one next year just to keep it happy.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2018, 11:49   #4
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Agreed that FPS does wear out and really needs to be replaced from time to time. Good you are sorted for now but I would really recommend getting a spare one and atleast "have it handy" or replace straight away.
It is possible that stored codes kept engine back a bit, but in reality car does the checkup on every start so if there is X amount of "problem free" startups it will gray out the code so if there was a helpup issue, it could still be pretty fresh.
How come u got wrong part? Were you given wrong one in shop or you mismatched p/n ?
Old Dec 10th, 2018, 17:40   #5
moorgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
How come u got wrong part? Were you given wrong one in shop or you mismatched p/n ?
I trusted the ebay check mechanism that says "this part will fit the blah-de-blah".
Old Dec 10th, 2018, 17:44   #6
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
I trusted the ebay check mechanism that says "this part will fit the blah-de-blah".
Oh boy :/

TMK, those are T5 compatible part numbers:

Bosch 0261230239
Volvo 31272732
Ford 1582665
The Following User Says Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2018, 01:34   #7
moorgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
Oh boy :/

TMK, those are T5 compatible part numbers:

Bosch 0261230239
Volvo 31272732
Ford 1582665
most interesting. I was sent 0261230238 - one digit out! The engine ran while it was in, just with fuel ****ingo ut because of the nipped sealing ring. I could swap the rings over and see if the new one fits...
Old Dec 12th, 2018, 12:56   #8
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
most interesting. I was sent 0261230238 - one digit out! The engine ran while it was in, just with fuel ****ingo ut because of the nipped sealing ring. I could swap the rings over and see if the new one fits...
Im almost sure that was the 2.4i version, it had happened before to another member if I remember correctly. Seem like its the "more popular version" and still get catalogue sustems confused as its "the same 5 pot " engine...
idiots :/
dont try to run car on it - get proper one, seller should refund you with no questions asked. Its not only about correct fitment but also working parameters.
Old Dec 12th, 2018, 20:58   #9
andy_d
Premier Member

Volvo 31272733 is the fps for the 2.4i (petrol)
Old Dec 13th, 2018, 11:21   #10
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
Volvo 31272733 is the fps for the 2.4i (petrol)
...and interestingly it does not correspond with that 0261230238 part number.
hmm

On close searchup it actually comes up that both 0261230238 and 0261230239 are the same parts (like interchangeable) and that *38 that OP got SHOULD fit no problem. Thats a bit weird now....

moorgate - what is your old fps number? how much different the new part was, ie build-wise?