Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Locking wheel nuts ..and no `key`...no problem!

Views : 36866

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 12:18   #11
FaKaWi
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamgibbins View Post
I have been down to my dealership as i was told that they would have master keys to get the wheel nuts off without damaging the wheels.

I was told that volvo dealerships never have had master keys for locking wheel nuts and never will
Find yourself a new dealership as yours appear top be talking a load of tosh. Volvo have several master key sets within the UK, which they lend out to dealers upon request.
FaKaWi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 15:49   #12
pdrvolvo
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard333 View Post
Reading this thread has convinced me that McGards claims about security are exaggerated . McGard claim that the computer generated lock pattern can have an infinite number of variants , thats probably true inside the computer but anyone in engineering knows that working to tolerances plus or minus is what happens in the real world so it would not be that suprising if say 30 different 'master keys' covered 99% of nuts ? It would be interesting to know how many keys make a 'set' because that would give us a clue to just how insecure the system really is . From the 'master' set you will probably find a key that fits , its not going to be the correct key according to the original computer generated pattern dimensions or have the exact correct profile but it will fit the nut and be near enough to get it off . Problem is if the dealer then orders a new key based on the key number used unless they are very lucky its not going to have exactly the right profile and will put undue stress on the key and nut so how long will this key last especially when used to remove a seized nut which is common when a wheel has not been removed for a long period . The 'master set' solution solves your short term problem but blows a hole in McGards claims about security . Its a good way to get the McGard nuts off when you lose a key but probably better leaving them off and replacing them with normal nuts , thats whats been done on my 2001 V70 .
your better off without them and McGard are one of the worst designs on the market.the key is to easily damaged and the nuts are a pig to remove without it.

peter.
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 20:13   #13
Rubic cube

Default locking key problems

i think trouble is air guns in garages you need to undo them properly . use a t bar not them telescopic things in halfords . they are not square on some l/ keys have a mark on key and also on the bolt part nut . which you line up i know my sons vauxhall has letter /j/ on key and /j/ on bolt sometimes people fit key in wrong . you put key in if has no marks it may seem right because its gripped. but if you pull it out and rotate it to another position you will find it goes in farther unless you had it right first time hope this may help someone
Rubic cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 20:59   #14
jeff.warner
VOC Member

Default Locking wheel nuts

Hi.
Recently I bought a set of four new tyres, and I had those McGard locking nuts. Two of the nuts sheared off - one from the front, one from the rear - they were useing one of those airtools to do it, they pointed out that there was a fault with the bolts themelves ,yes they hammered on a socket and removed the offending items , the four tyres were duly fitted and off I trotted , two wheels were minus a wheel stud! So sod it I thought ,and the same day ordered four new wheel studs from Volvo, collected them the following day, removed the remaining two McGards - which did'nt shear, and fitted the four new studs. End of story.

96 850 GLT 2.5ltr.20V Estate Auto.
94 960 3ltr. C.D. Estate Auto.
740 GLE Estate Man.
740 GL Estate Man.
240 GLE Estate Man.
jeff.warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 21:50   #15
4 forty
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff.warner View Post
Hi.
Recently I bought a set of four new tyres, and I had those McGard locking nuts. Two of the nuts sheared off - one from the front, one from the rear - they were useing one of those airtools to do it, they pointed out that there was a fault with the bolts themelves ,yes they hammered on a socket and removed the offending items , the four tyres were duly fitted and off I trotted , two wheels were minus a wheel stud! So sod it I thought ,and the same day ordered four new wheel studs from Volvo, collected them the following day, removed the remaining two McGards - which did'nt shear, and fitted the four new studs. End of story.
yes, after reading this posting, and other postings relating to same thing, im now inclined to remove my locking nuts, after all,are many alloy wheels stolen.
4 forty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 23:35   #16
keithyboy
Master Member

Whether they are worth the bother depends on your wheels I suppose. My Alfa no longer has lockers because the key broke and I have the least desirable 156 alloys. My Primera had 200SX rims and you can't give them away so I never bothered on that either.

My old Sierra had Cossie replicas on it and I figured that was worth the bother.

My blog
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
LOOK AT MY RUBBISH BLOG
keithyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2014, 16:01   #17
shirino

Default wheel locking nuts for cx60

i have lost or been stolen from the accident repair workshop as they where the last ones to remove the wheels.
i have tried volo main dealer but i got the same response as most..money will solve it. however, i have found the mcgard site. but to purchase them they need the registration number.
my problem is...how . where do it find it.
can anyone please help me
shirino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2016, 21:18   #18
Bantambuddy
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirino View Post
i have lost or been stolen from the accident repair workshop as they where the last ones to remove the wheels.
i have tried volo main dealer but i got the same response as most..money will solve it. however, i have found the mcgard site. but to purchase them they need the registration number.
my problem is...how . where do it find it.
can anyone please help me
Check to see if they are actually Mcgard ones they maybe Volvo ones. I have been to Dealership today and asked about them as thought they were Mcgard but turns out they are Volvo OEM ones. They did have master sets for both Volvo and Mcgard and we checked through all until found correct one that fitted. They are now finding out about ordering a spare for me as existing one is wearing a little and don't want to get caught out.
If they are the Mcgard ones you can email them a picture of the pattern of the key along with proof of ownership (V5) and a copy of your driving licence to prove who you are. They can the identify the key and send one to you. Iirc they cost £18 + carriage
XC60 SE Lux Nav Manual D5 AWD Black Sapphire; Polestar; Family Pack; Driver Support Pack; Winter Pack with Active Bending Headlights; Front and Rear Parking Sensors; Privacy Glass; Diamondbrite;20" Wheels
Bantambuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2016, 21:34   #19
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard333 View Post
McGard claim that the computer generated lock pattern can have an infinite number of variants
In a universe of 10^80 atoms, infinity is a very bold claim. I think they're lying.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2016, 11:12   #20
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
In a universe of 10^80 atoms, infinity is a very bold claim. I think they're lying.
In a thread that was started 11 years ago you might be right

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post: