Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

error code P0013 most likely cause?

Views : 8777

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 28th, 2013, 16:52   #1
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Default error code P0013 most likely cause?

Hi,
Has anyone encountered this error?

P0013 - "B" Camshaft Position - Actuator Circuit Bank 1

Just trying to figure out most likely scenario. Apparently this could be related to a) the cvvt solenoid or the camshaft position sensor.

Any experiences to share?
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2013, 18:03   #2
Scottishd

have found this which may give some mre guidance for you

http://share.qclt.com/%E4%B8%B0%E7%9...em/0060015.pdf
Scottishd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scottishd For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 28th, 2013, 18:11   #3
gatos
Premier Member

Deja vu

This is getting ridiculous now..... Fifth person with similar issues this month. Indeed it points towards either the camshaft sensor or the VVT solenoid.

However, before you go ahead replacing bits, could you try something? After reading a couple of recent posts, I am wondering if a weaker battery could be causing this. If you have access to a known good battery, can you try it on your car and see if the code comes up?

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2013, 20:19   #4
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

I'll give it a shot...the battery is only 6 months old but you never know. Will let you know the outcome. May be a little while, I still haven't finished with dealing with rear suspension.
Old Sep 13th, 2013, 16:40   #5
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Default P0013 - Follow-up - Solenoid/Position Sensor and PCV

Alright here's a follow up for you...

I caved and paid the $100CAD to get Volvo to properly diagnos and I'm glad I did.

For what it's worth my symptoms were:
1) Check engine light on with P0013 showing: "B" Camshaft Position - Actuator Circuit Bank 1
2) Sporadic difficulties starting car
3) Lower fuel efficiency

Volvo advised that my solenoid is toast. Sensor is fine. VVT Hub is fine. However, the root cause was a completely clogged up PCV. They are looking for seven hours labor and a total of $1200CAD to replace...ouch. Luckily a fellow forum member has taken the time to put a guide together which I've taken a look at. Appears to be a long but doable job.

I have a follow-up question for anyone willing to voice an opinion. Can I wait 'til spring to get this done? Or will I run the risk of sludging up other components such as the turbo, for instance? When I did my last oil change I did notice a small amount of grime at the base of the filter cannister...may or may not be related...

I definitely do not want to make anything worse but really could use some time not doing car repairs!!!

Thoughts?
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 18:51   #6
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Solenoid troubles take II.

I replaced my pcv over the weekend and was just about to take out the solenoid and replace it when I noticed that one of the wires leading to the solenoid was totally ripped apart! So an error code of "circuit open" can sometimes mean just that - a busted wire!

I share this because the root cause was that a while back, some of the black corrogated plastic tubing that protects the sparkplug coils, etc broke apart on me so I took some of it out without really thinking that I needed to replace it. Well, if you don't replace it, it becomes very, very easy for these wires to get stuck over one of the mounting bolt holes for the plastic engine cover. When this happens, you can very easily crush the wire when you put the cover back on which is what I did. Not sure how the dealership missed that seeing that you have to take the cover off to view the solenoid...anyhow, solenoid is fine, red wire is re-connected. All good. What is preferred method of reconnecting wires like this? Twist and tape? Solder? Other?
The Following User Says Thank You to pierremcalpine For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2019, 02:52   #7
klausc
Old fart

Not tape, there are too many oil fumes and too much heat under the cover. Shrink wrap is best, but you can also use those connectors that you squeeze with pliers - the kind where you shove wire in both ends and crimp.
Old Jan 15th, 2019, 19:06   #8
clarkey1984
Premier Member

He's probably sussed it after nearly 6 years to be honest.