Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Manual Turbo Intercooler estate MPG...what to realistically

Views : 2904

Replies : 61

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 24th, 2018, 15:45   #51
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS9 View Post
Well I had the 360 GLE (87 high compression) aswell (and 10 other 300 models) and it never did more than about 28, but then I would do 70/80 on the motorway in those days.

Did you keep the speed low?
I was doing about 60 on the motorway as doing 70 the steering wheel vibrated like mad so I did it to preserve my hands haha.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 28th, 2018, 22:56   #52
SteveP
300 Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
How is that coming along anyway? Still playing with the fuel tank?
Pretty much, think I have everything arrived now inc. new diff gasket kit and new fuel hoses so it's 'just' a case of reassembling it all, inconveniently Christmas happened
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SteveP For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 17:23   #53
jonnyf90
Grumpy git born too late!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Sadly that site quotes the fuel tank of the 945 as being 75L Ash - i believe the official Volvo figure is 60L on 7x5/9x5 models.

Checking a few other cars i know the fuel tank capacity of, those are wrong as well.

It doesn't bode well for them quoting correct mpg figures!

Digging a bit deeper, they quote the fuel tank capacity of the saloon as also being 75L, if memory serves correctly, with the additional fuel tank behind the back seat, total capacity is 82L (but i would need to check this) but as far as i remember, the extra tank was only available on 7/964 models as an option.
940s definitely have a 75L tank, at least my 1996 944 classic did.
My 1997 965 is 80L. From dry to brimmed takes an eye watering 82.5L, near enough £100.
I’m happy if I get north of 500 miles (27.5mpg)

Cheers

2021 Škoda Octavia Estate L iV PHEV (Company)
jonnyf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jonnyf90 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 18:48   #54
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyf90 View Post
940s definitely have a 75L tank, at least my 1996 944 classic did.
My 1997 965 is 80L. From dry to brimmed takes an eye watering 82.5L, near enough £100.
I’m happy if I get north of 500 miles (27.5mpg)

Cheers
I'm glad you brought this up!

We're both right!

I couldn't remember where this thread was when i later found evidence to point to the fact that on the Mk2 9xx (from about 95/96 onwards) the tanks were bigger.

However, before that point, what i stated earlier still stands so it depends what year the 9xx in question is.

Someone who knows the 9xx range and when changes happened better than me could certainly clarify it further, for now i expect most people would be happy enough to take the Mk1/Mk2 changeover as the point when it happened as a general rule of thumb.

As for eye-watering, try two 11 gallon tanks (works out at 100L) or a single 21 gallon tank (105.5L) and that will really make you cough!

Thankfully for me, my 765 is the 60L/13.25 gallon tank (being the estate, no extra tank behind the back seats) and my other beast is a 70L/15 gallon tank. Last time i had the twin 11 gallon tanks was 2000 or thereabouts when we had that fuel crisis - shortly before that i'd just filled both tanks. I only used the car for private mileage and had been busy at work (using the firms diseasel van) so still had two full tanks when a mate of mine turned up begging for a lift home. He'd had to leave his car at work as that's where it ran out of petrol and none of the garages in the area had any - i gladly took him home along the motorway, the outside lane was completely empty as everyone else was doing 56mph to save their fuel.
I'm not going to say what speed i was doing but a 4.2 Jag flying down the outside lane caused a few raised eyebrows!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 19:13   #55
jonnyf90
Grumpy git born too late!

Reminds me of when I bought my 940 in 2014 when petrol was 1.40ish a litre. Was on fumes so had to fill up at an Esso on the A4 which only had super at £1.51 a litre.
£110 lighter - only paid £500 for the car 🤣

Cheers

2021 Škoda Octavia Estate L iV PHEV (Company)
jonnyf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jonnyf90 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 19:55   #56
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyf90 View Post
Reminds me of when I bought my 940 in 2014 when petrol was 1.40ish a litre. Was on fumes so had to fill up at an Esso on the A4 which only had super at £1.51 a litre.
£110 lighter - only paid £500 for the car 🤣

Cheers
Ouch! Until i am sure any new car i pick up doesn't have a major fuel leak from the tank, i never fill them right up when i first get a new car. I build up gradually from about £20 upwards.

Goes back about 15 years to when i bought an Astra estate in a hurry, had to use it for a long journey a couple of days later so filled up the day before. Went on the journey and parked at the destination, only to find it sitting in a puddle of diseaesel when i got back!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Jan 8th, 2019, 18:46   #57
rwdkev
VOC member

Back on e-bay.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/90G-VOLVO...Cnv7:rk:3:pf:0

"JUST HAD £400 SPENT ON LAST MOT AND LOADS OF WORK DONE"

Sounds like it needed it.....
rwdkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2019, 19:22   #58
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwdkev View Post
Back on e-bay.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/90G-VOLVO...Cnv7:rk:3:pf:0

"JUST HAD £400 SPENT ON LAST MOT AND LOADS OF WORK DONE"

Sounds like it needed it.....
"THIS STUNNING CAR IS CLEANER THAN SOME OF MY 5 YEAR OLD CARS. THAT IS SAYING SOMETHING.
IT FIRES OFF THE KEY FIRST TIME AND HAS NO ISSUES. "

Yeah, right!

Didn't Phil say the battery was loose on the day he picked it up?

G165BEV VOLVO 740

Check another vehicle
Colour Grey
Fuel type Petrol
Date registered 8 January 1990
MOT valid until 20 December 2019

Get an MOT reminderwhen the vehicle's MOT is near its time for renewal. (Opens in a new Window) by email or text.
If you think the MOT expiry date or any of the vehicle details are wrong, contact DVSA.

Check mileage recorded at test, MOT expiry date, defects and advisories
Date tested 21 December 2018
Pass
Mileage 179,172 miles
MOT test number 5336 2928 5852
Test location
View test location
Expiry date 20 December 2019
Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

Front Exhaust has a minor leak of exhaust gases (6.1.2 (a))

What are advisories?
Date tested 20 December 2018
Fail
Mileage 179,172 miles
MOT test number 5902 6328 8065
Test location
View test location
Repair immediately (major defects):

Front Registration plate inscription illegible (0.1 (b))
Obligatory mirror missing n/s+o/s (3.3 (a))
Front Exhaust has a major leak of exhaust gases (6.1.2 (a))
Exhaust system insecure + 1/2 missing (6.1.2 (a))
Emissions not tested (8.2.1.2 (d))
Front Position lamp not working both sides (4.2.1 (a))
Battery insecure and likely to cause a short circuit (4.13 (a) (ii))
Offside Front Seat belt missing (7.1.2 (a))
Brake cable insecure (1.1.15 (c))
Front Service brake excessively binding both sides (1.2.1 (f))
Nearside Track rod end ball joint has excessive play (2.1.3 (b) (i))

Repair as soon as possible (minor defects):

Nearside Front Direction indicator insecure (4.4.1 (c) (i))

What are defects?

That's from the MoT History online. Failure point - "Battery insecure and likely to cause a short circuit"

Just one point i remembered without going through everything Phil said was wrong with it. Seems the MoT test may have been carried out to find what it would fail on and then a certificate issued anyway.

Old Jan 8th, 2019, 20:40   #59
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
"THIS STUNNING CAR IS CLEANER THAN SOME OF MY 5 YEAR OLD CARS. THAT IS SAYING SOMETHING.
IT FIRES OFF THE KEY FIRST TIME AND HAS NO ISSUES. "

Yeah, right!

Didn't Phil say the battery was loose on the day he picked it up?

G165BEV VOLVO 740

Check another vehicle
Colour Grey
Fuel type Petrol
Date registered 8 January 1990
MOT valid until 20 December 2019

Get an MOT reminderwhen the vehicle's MOT is near its time for renewal. (Opens in a new Window) by email or text.
If you think the MOT expiry date or any of the vehicle details are wrong, contact DVSA.

Check mileage recorded at test, MOT expiry date, defects and advisories
Date tested 21 December 2018
Pass
Mileage 179,172 miles
MOT test number 5336 2928 5852
Test location
View test location
Expiry date 20 December 2019
Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

Front Exhaust has a minor leak of exhaust gases (6.1.2 (a))

What are advisories?
Date tested 20 December 2018
Fail
Mileage 179,172 miles
MOT test number 5902 6328 8065
Test location
View test location
Repair immediately (major defects):

Front Registration plate inscription illegible (0.1 (b))
Obligatory mirror missing n/s+o/s (3.3 (a))
Front Exhaust has a major leak of exhaust gases (6.1.2 (a))
Exhaust system insecure + 1/2 missing (6.1.2 (a))
Emissions not tested (8.2.1.2 (d))
Front Position lamp not working both sides (4.2.1 (a))
Battery insecure and likely to cause a short circuit (4.13 (a) (ii))
Offside Front Seat belt missing (7.1.2 (a))
Brake cable insecure (1.1.15 (c))
Front Service brake excessively binding both sides (1.2.1 (f))
Nearside Track rod end ball joint has excessive play (2.1.3 (b) (i))

Repair as soon as possible (minor defects):

Nearside Front Direction indicator insecure (4.4.1 (c) (i))

What are defects?

That's from the MoT History online. Failure point - "Battery insecure and likely to cause a short circuit"

Just one point i remembered without going through everything Phil said was wrong with it. Seems the MoT test may have been carried out to find what it would fail on and then a certificate issued anyway.
"exhaust system insecure and 1/2 missing" is the most hair raising bit!

I've no idea what exhaust they had bodged onto it when I picked it up, but it wasn't anything that was intended for a Volvo 740. Absolute parts bin special, no wonder it was backfiring and running like something that came out of the wrong end of a dog!

"It fires off the key first time and has no issues"

It actually took 25 mins to get it running when I viewed it. It had no fuel in it and wouldn't play ball, so the dealer went up the road with a Jerrycan (or should I say a Martin Pittaway/David Barber/Gurdip Virdi can, all of whom purport to be the fictional "Gerry" as per the title of the business), put 5 litres in it, then killed the battery with even more mindless cranking. Clearly the fuel pumps had all the power of a kitten, but after connecting a power pack and cranking for another few mins, the sorry beast shuddered into life. I had the bonnet up by the time he left for the petrol station initially, and had ascertained that the car was a basket case long before he got back.

"No issues"? The comedy statement of the year. Almost every aspect of the car had issues, engine, turbo, electronics, clutch, box, overdrive, interior, underneath, door latches, tyres...

I've done the deep dive on Pittaway, Barber and Virdi and they have traded from a couple of different premises under eleven different names over the last eight years or so, with assorted combinations of the three doing several years in prison for selling dangerous vehicles with fake MOTs, ringers and allsorts. They are notorious for not returning deposits, refusing refunds on rejected vehicles and threatening violence when challenged.

The man ("Gerry") I dealt with would appear to be Martin Pittaway. I rejected the car with good reason and talked him through everything that was wrong with it, mainly because neither him or his mechanic appeared to have a clue about these cars, and I said the car would only be worth the asking price if it was properly sorted out.

I was reasonable with him but made it clear to him that his incorrect and fallacious description of the car had wasted a lot of my time and a great deal of my money, with the combination of train tickets and cancelled work (I travelled on the day of the RMT strikes which meant I was unexpectedly unable to get back down south in time to make it to work that evening).

He was cowardly in person and appeared genuinely scared of me (he was around 5'2", I'm 6'7" and 20 stone), hiding the other side of the car when I was talking to him and promising to return my deposit as quickly as possible.

It was all lies though, and as soon as I was far enough away to not lamp him (not that I would have done THEN!), he pulled what appears to be his party trick of denying everything then trying to tell me that I'd cost HIM money by rejecting his shart-hole of a car...

These men are absolute con artists...I sincerely hope nobody is sucked into buying this sorry mess of a car.
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 17:57   #60
James_EG_940
Felonious Fanatic

Just for my two pence on the fuel efficiency chat.

I've got about 6 years of fuel and mileage logs for my car and from April 2013 - April 2018 I drove approximately 28,800 miles and used approximately 4888 litres of fuel. A little bit of maths reveals the average mpg (UK gallons) is...

Nothing spectacular but not awful either. Car is 1994 B200FT with M90 box, I think tank must be 75 litre as I always brim it but never let it get completely dry and I've never put in more than 68/69 litres of fuel at once. I don't try and drive hugely economically and I know on some longer motorway trips it's got to 30/31 mpg but they would be statistical outliers.

I seem to recall in the manual it suggests 24mpg as an average and states that the single biggest contributor to that value is the driver and driving style...

Please PM if you know of any black 940s being broken! I'm really keen for a driver's door and both front wings! Paint code 19-23
James_EG_940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to James_EG_940 For This Useful Post: