Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Remote setting heated seats

Views : 1549

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 21st, 2019, 11:10   #11
Nerdy Norm

Thanks - the box is ticked and the seat heater comes on, but only once I get in the car and use the start knob.

It doesn't heat the seat when the engine is running via remote start (unless there's a separate setting for that?).

What I'd like to avoid is having to sit in a freezing seat on these cold mornings.
Nerdy Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 11:38   #12
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdy Norm View Post
Thanks - the box is ticked and the seat heater comes on, but only once I get in the car and use the start knob.

It doesn't heat the seat when the engine is running via remote start (unless there's a separate setting for that?).

What I'd like to avoid is having to sit in a freezing seat on these cold mornings.
Try setting it and saving it on your profile and guest profile.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 11:55   #13
familymangreg
Premier Member

So things to note ahead of the below: we have options ticked in Sensus to automatically turn on both front heated seats and steering wheel heating when the temperature is below 8c (or whatever the threshold is). When we get in the car and start it normally, this does indeed happen pretty quickly.

Now, this morning I left for the office and while passing the car on the way out realised it was pretty iced up. My wife would be heading out a few minutes later on the school run, so I thought I'd do something about it, caring family man that i am. Having no key, I pulled out my phone and had the car started in no time. I didn't open any door or even unlock the car. Initially the windscreen was frozen all over, and after about a minute, I could hear the fans starting to blow at the base of the windscreen, and within a couple of minutes the ice was softening and I could start to run my fingers through it in the centre of the screen, and a short while later it was loosening all the way across (we have head up display, not heated screen). My wife then appeared and unlock the car, and with a single stroke of the wipers, the screen was clear. Note also that the heated rear screen had come on and done it job in this time too.

However, the heated wheel was nice and warm, but the seats still stone cold. So why the heated wheel should come on during remote start, and not the seats, left me a little puzzled. I can only think this is a software bug rather than something designed into the system.

FYI, standing next the car and doing this all via remote start was an experiment, I would normally go fetch a key and take the more traditional approach!

:wq
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 12:07   #14
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Try setting it and saving it on your profile and guest profile.
Hmm, I'm pretty sure the settings for my car at least must be set to be remembered, otherwise how do the seats come on when the car is started normally...

However, I think you could be onto something here, is it 'guest' profile related. Its been a while since I've looked at the profile screen, so I can't actually remember what the guest profile is or how you configure it. But my thinking is, if you have several profiles, each with different heated seat/wheel options, when you remote start, how does the car decide which profile to apply?

Old Jan 21st, 2019, 12:13   #15
Neil S

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
I can only think this is a software bug rather than something designed into the system.

This!

They stopped warming up following a SENSUS update. If the trend continues I doubt much will work on the car in a couple of years. I've reported this and other bugs to Volvo but they report that they have no knowledge of problems...
Neil S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 14:16   #16
nu11eaf
Premier Member

My heated seats and steering wheel etc still work fine after updates, it might be worth trying resetting your guest and personal profiles after checking that the right boxes are ticked.

If only steering wheel is heating the seat box might not havd been ticked when profiles saved.
I do not know if the car uses the guest profile for remote start as no key is used but it might do and I am not saying the above will solve your problem but its worth trying.in the past you had to save your profile on a USB stick to reload it after a service/update but you no longer have to do that so I assume the garage now saves and reloads it but in some cases this may not have happened.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 18:47   #17
Soltan

I've noticed as well that the drivers seat does not warm up with preconditioning, although the steering wheel does. Could have sworn it was fine last year.
MY17 XC90 T8 Inscription, Magic Blue, Xenium Pack, Winter Pack with HUD, Towbar, Power Front Cushion Extensions, Massaging Front Seats,Power Folding 2nd Row Headrests, Tinted Windows, Laminated Side Glass, Amber Leather, Linear Walnut Inlays
Soltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 20:03   #18
crispy514

I wonder if the seat requires you to be sitting in it to heat? Maybe there is a sensor that stops the seats heating if you aren't sitting in them? I'm pretty sure the passenger seat never heats up if no one is in it.
crispy514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2019, 11:06   #19
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispy514 View Post
I wonder if the seat requires you to be sitting in it to heat? Maybe there is a sensor that stops the seats heating if you aren't sitting in them? I'm pretty sure the passenger seat never heats up if no one is in it.
Possibly, however... I happened to be sat in the passenger seat for 10 minutes last night while my wife who was driving got out. Now, I really don't like to sit with the engine running, but the Volvo doesn't have a residual heating function and it was sub-zero outside, so after a few minutes I had to start it! Anyway, I kept feeling the driver seat, and sure enough, it warmed up again, so in that situation is was heating with nobody sat in it.

And here is something that annoys me, as soon as the drivers door is opened... boom.... every sodding system shut down... so if the driver get out, leaving the key in the car with the passengers, the heating system, entertainment, full Sensus, off. I wish it would wait for either a timeout or the car to be locked (which ever comes first), like other cars do. Last night me and the kids were happily listening to Spotify, then as soon as my wife gets out it all goes off. Clearly I could immediately switch the ignition back on, but you have to wait for Sensus and then Spotify to restart, connect etc.. A few 'Volvo' ways of doing things like this are really starting to bug me!!

Old Jan 22nd, 2019, 11:52   #20
Ringthane
VOC Member

Does your car not have the Parking Climate function?