Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Lambda light is on but the car seems fine..?

Views : 14946

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 7th, 2006, 17:15   #1
818pumpkin

Default Lambda light is on but the car seems fine..?

Hello again folks, my third post today - sorry about that, but could really use advice from those who know their Volvos!

The Lambda warning light is on constantly, but then sometimes goes out for a few days and then comes back on. The car seems to run fine, and its just been serviced - at the time the light was out and had been for about a week, so I forgot to mention it (aarrgghh!). Now it's back on again.

Is there something wrong here, or is it more likely to be the sensor itself failing? I appreciate that this is probably an old hat kinda problem for you guys but any advice is much needed and appreciated. I can't afford to be going back and forth to the garage more than I need to!!

By the way the car is a 1996 N plate 940 2.3 Turbo SE

Kind regards
Sam

Last edited by 818pumpkin; Jul 7th, 2006 at 17:18.
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 17:30   #2
dave r
VOC16743

Wink

Don't Know if this could be of any use, but my Lambda light was lit after an inlet manifold gasket replacement,
Cured by dis-connecting the battery for a minute or so then re-connect (make sure you've got your radio code before dis-connecting).

Dave
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 02:58   #3
John Davies
VOC Member

Reconnecting the battery did it for me under similar circumstances.

John D
John   Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 19:31   #4
Aeroresh

Ive got the same problem on mine . Garage seemed to think it was a wiring fault?
Aeroresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 00:46   #5
Boxybutgood

Mine was diagnosed as possibly a dry joint; it was reset and has been fine since. Garage advised if the light is on for the right reason car would most likely not be running all that well.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 11:53   #6
JOEM

Mine came on a few times-940 2.3 lpt.I fixed the fault by taking out fuse ni 1
in the fuse box,started the car which wil not start put back in the fuse and the problem was solved
joe
JOEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 12:06   #7
Grizlyadams
RWD FTW!!!

Mine comes on when i pop a hose off (stupid clips), unmetered air into the system mess's up the a/f ratio that the 0/2 sensor senses, and it throws the light on...check all your hose's for leaks/splits, and do the usual battery reset and it will be fine...if it keeps coming on...time to check things out (0/2 sensor fail, or the cats dead)
Griz
Grizlyadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 22:09   #8
Suterman
240 Turbo

Try this,

Warm the car up and with the engine running, disconnect this plug (its the 02 sensor plug, located on the bulkhead amongst the loom) you'll need to use a flat screwdriver to unlock it where I've arrowed it. Listen for a change in the engine tone/smoothness. if the engine runs smoother with it disconnected then....

it may well be due to a blocked cat... check the service history to see if its ever been replaced. Chances are if its the original one its had it. get the emissions tested by a garage or mobile mechanic, this will tell you if the cat is blocked, a blocked cat clogs up the o2 sensor and then it all goes out the window.

If the engine runs rougher then the o2 sensor is ok and the problem lies elsewhere. Switch off the engine, reconnect the sensor plug and disconnect the battery for a moment, this will reset the o2 sensor light (for the time being)

Pm me, or post up here to let me know what happens.

Mike
1985 Bedford CF2 B230E
Suterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 22:27   #9
Suterman
240 Turbo

oops, forgot to post the picture of the o2 plug...

here it is...

1985 Bedford CF2 B230E
Suterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 10:43   #10
Flaffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEM View Post
Mine came on a few times-940 2.3 lpt.I fixed the fault by taking out fuse ni 1
in the fuse box,started the car which wil not start put back in the fuse and the problem was solved
joe
I'm a new Forum member here,,, not VOC member yet, but probably will be soon.

I have bought a 1996 Volvo 960 2.5, and it also had the Lambda light on. I tried to remove fuse 1,,, the tried to start(which it wont without the fuse), put the fuse back in, started and now the light is gone. Have driven about 30miles so far, and the light has not come back on.
Super advice thank you.

Anders

ps. Does anyone know a good cheap independant workshop in the newcastle area??