Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil/Coolant mix coming out of expansion tank

Views : 2565

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 14th, 2018, 14:16   #31
kainechris83

anyone know of a good supplier for parts?
kainechris83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2018, 20:39   #32
Dippydog
Premier Member

As long as you're sure it's the oil cooler,then decide if you're going d.i.y. or paying a garage as some/most garages will also want to supply the parts[because they're liable if anything later goes wrong] if going d.i.y. write up a list of all the parts required i.e. cooler any seals/gaskets/sealant etc.then genuine or aftermarket?Is it FRS or something in Swansea who have a good reputation on here and will give discount for forum members I believe.other than that a scan of e-bay might yield results.

For j.w good news about your mot pass.My 3hr oil cooler change time didn't include flushing as my cooler hadn't blown,so yes I can see where at least some of the extra time came from any other time could be due to different engine layout i.e. north/south v east/west between the two cars.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2018, 14:10   #33
kainechris83

Car has been at the garage for the past week . They ring me today to say they think the oil is still mixing with the coolant after flushing it many times. Saying the oil dip stick has gone down by a quarter. Surely they can test to see if it is the head gasket . Or do you think they juse cant be arsed with it. At my wits end . God knows what the bill is going to be like. Could the problem lay anywhere else .
Old Oct 2nd, 2018, 14:44   #34
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Number of things wrong with that statement!
If they havr flushed and degreased it, good. If they havent degreased then there may be oil still in there. Regardless if this, how would repeatedly flushing it prevent oil loss? If oil is being lost they need to find the leak. If it is being lost into the coolant, it will show in the coolant. Should this be thr case its pointless keep flushing it.
If the cooler has been replaced, and is not faulty, then you either have a failed gasket or cracked head/block etc. Also if oil is showing in coolant but coolant not showing in oil, then that suggests the leak is in an area where oil pressure is high and water pressure low. This being the case puts the head gasket theory into question as both oil and water galleries are large, thus, water and oil will intermingle freely...
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2018, 15:28   #35
kainechris83

The oil cooler replacement is a new aftermarket one. Could this be faulty . I have a old one from another v40 which i bought as a back up . Surely the garage must have a test to see if the head gasket has failed . Is it worth them swapping the cooler again for the used one I have. I really wish I had a bash at doing it myself in the first place
Old Oct 2nd, 2018, 15:41   #36
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kainechris83 View Post
The oil cooler replacement is a new aftermarket one. Could this be faulty . I have a old one from another v40 which i bought as a back up . Surely the garage must have a test to see if the head gasket has failed . Is it worth them swapping the cooler again for the used one I have. I really wish I had a bash at doing it myself in the first place
Is the oil oozing from the insides of the rubber hoses ? I know how many flushes with an emulsifying agent is needed , over 10 with new hoses fitted .
Old Oct 2nd, 2018, 18:05   #37
kainechris83

i dont think they have flushed it out enough, only a couple of treatments. Going up to the garage tomorrow to see what is going on, either way im not paying for anymore stuff to be done, going to get it home and flush it myself even if it takes me a week
Old Oct 2nd, 2018, 19:42   #38
kainechris83

Ive also seen thread about a blocked PCV causing too much pressure resulting in this problem. Could that be not helping things?
Old Oct 2nd, 2018, 20:13   #39
Dippydog
Premier Member

Don't know about the PCV bit[others will know that much better]but a couple of flushes is nowhere near enough you'll need to do quite a few more to clear the system.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2018, 14:50   #40
kainechris83

Just got back from the garage to see what was going on. They have said they have used one treatment of Forte degreaser and had been flushing it with a hose. They said the could still see oil coming up into the header tank, and so he diagnosis was he thinks it the head gasket. So from reading everyone advice it clearly has not been flushed/decreased enough. Ive just agreed to disagree with the garage and shall be bringing it back tomorrow to start doing it myself

I really appreciate the advice that everyone has given me and putting up with my ranting