Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Main differences of a later ‘facelift’ 740?

Views : 2592

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 21st, 2018, 09:06   #1
Ross Slaughter
No longer Volvoless

Default Main differences of a later ‘facelift’ 740?

Just curious as I have never really studied one but how does a facelift 700 compare to an earlier model? Other than the obvious front end treatment?
Ross Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ross Slaughter For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 21st, 2018, 09:26   #2
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

I have a 1990 saloon which is the "mid facelift" model, with a front end that they only used for a year (hard to get indicators for!).

The main differences that I can see are some front end contouring and the loss of the chrome trim around the windows that the earlier cars have. Mine still has a chrome underline on the windows but the perimeter is a flat black rubber seal. It's all small details, but visually the car instantly looks more "90s", and the window detailing gives a visual impression of the car being smaller than it is.

The ubiquitous early 90s plastic wheeltrims came in around this time too on the "repmobile" GL model (B200F, M47, basic trim), although mine are now gone and replaced with refurbished Dracos, which make a world of difference to the car's appearance.

The 1990 facelift also saw the end of the B200E K-Jet engine in the base model 740, replaced by the B200F LH 2.4 motor with a lower compression head, a mild cam, catalytic converter and around 9hp less at the wheels.

These cars proudly proclaim "CATALYSER" on the boot, despite it effectively making for an asthmatic engine which struggles to lug the car along in 2.0 trim. Thankfully the pre-'92 cars are BET exempt and can be de-catted simply, restoring the lost performance and letting the engine breathe properly. I did this with mine which improved driveability massively, and won me about 4mpg back.

I'm sure others will chime in, but that's my experience with the faceliftery!
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 21st, 2018, 13:17   #3
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Having owned 3 1988 745GLE autos (B230E K-Jet with ZF4HP22 boxes) and a 1988 facelift 765GLE (B280E, AW70 box) i should be able to instantly tell you the differences.

However, thanks to Volvo constantly changing their minds about things, it's near impossible to say what the differences are, most of the 745s had different parts/set ups to the others in some way or another. As for the 765, while a facelift (the 760 got the facelift about 2 years before the 740) there are yet more parts that were changed later on or to put it another way, unique to the early 760 facelift. Headlamps for example, the inner two beams on each lamp, stacked vertically are for fog and driving lamps. On the early facelift, the fog lamps are at the top, later 760s had the fog lamp at the bottom, like the 940.

Like Phil mentions, the indicators are a nightmare to find - never got to the bottom of what fits what.

Obviously the front end treatment is going to remain roughly the same (except the headlamps/indicators) and the grilles are easily swapped but other than that, unless you have a specific car in mind, you'll have to "take as you find" i think.
Doubtless someone somewhere will know the exact VIN numbers that certain changes happened at, i don't believe Volvo adhered to that as strictly as they could have done and besides, who knows what has been changed in the last 30 years or thereabouts for bits from a different year car on the grounds "it's a Volvo, the parts must the same"?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 21st, 2018, 21:18   #4
bob12
bob12

Feb 1990 GL 745 Facelift (B200F) .... front indicator lenses are unique, but can be sourced relatively easily; those made by 'DEPO' are the only quality ones to get. The only other difference you can't see in the pic is the word 'catalizer' on the tailgate, and a slightly modified back bumper shape. To the front end if you need to replace anything you have to find another similar as the wing shape/shut and light metalwork is unique as is the size of the grill. Bob.

Forgot the front headlight wiper blades are 5" not the regular 6" ones!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Volvo.jpg (177.0 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by bob12; Dec 21st, 2018 at 21:21.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 21st, 2018, 21:33   #5
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
Feb 1990 GL 745 Facelift (B200F) .... front indicator lenses are unique, but can be sourced relatively easily; those made by 'DEPO' are the only quality ones to get. The only other difference you can't see in the pic is the word 'catalizer' on the tailgate, and a slightly modified back bumper shape. To the front end if you need to replace anything you have to find another similar as the wing shape/shut and light metalwork is unique as is the size of the grill. Bob.

Is that your 745, Bob? What a beauty...really well kept.
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2018, 09:18   #6
Ross Slaughter
No longer Volvoless

Quote:

What a lovely car you have Bob
Ross Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ross Slaughter For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2018, 11:05   #7
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllHailKingVolvo View Post
Is that your 745, Bob? What a beauty...really well kept.
Yup, although it doesn't look quite as clean at the moment!!
Old Dec 22nd, 2018, 18:23   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:

Definitely a very nice example Bob, your words about it also explain why i've always thought some of the facelift 740s look a bit "odd" in as much as they're different.
Now they no longer look "odd", it's the different grille and other bits that does it!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2018, 19:43   #9
kelvinp

Quote:

I've got a 1990 745 (SE) and have nearly been caught out with the front indicators and the wiper blades, I guess that people don't realise that they are not all the same.

The only thing I've not quite worked out yet is what colour the bumpers should actually be, were they black when new or did they fade to/were grey from new?

Catalyser does sound posh, mine's the B200F auto and certainly won't set the world on fire, for fuel economy it's not much better than my 2.5 V6 MG, but wouldn't be without the usefulness of having an estate.
kelvinp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kelvinp For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2018, 22:07   #10
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Definitely a very nice example Bob, your words about it also explain why i've always thought some of the facelift 740s look a bit "odd" in as much as they're different.
Now they no longer look "odd", it's the different grille and other bits that does it!
What you have to remember is in 1990 that the front end was quite a radical style change from the then current 'square look' at a time of transition when the 850 (Renault collaboration) had just been introduced, and the 740's were morphing into the 900 Series to get the product range sequence numbering 'sorted'.... and Volvo were hemorrhaging money.

When you look now at the front end lines of most modern cars you can see that the 700 Series facelift of the 1990's actually carries a likeness to modern front end styling with the bonnet line and a gap between the headlights and grille although today's style lines are far, far more sweeping.

As you can guess I actually like the front end lines of the 1990 700 Series facelift.

Bob

Last edited by bob12; Dec 22nd, 2018 at 22:50.
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post: