Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Main differences of a later ‘facelift’ 740?

Views : 2567

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 23rd, 2018, 19:09   #21
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
It doesn't help when previous owners change things they shouldn't either - look at the body coloured door mirrors on mine in the post above.
Haven't yet quite worked out those mirrors yet on an 'F' plate Dave. No 1 how did someone get standard black mirrors on a silver door faceplate - a near impossible task?
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 23rd, 2018, 19:14   #22
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvinp View Post
Seems the 1990 cars are worst affected for the bumpers. I have used bumper paint but with limited success so when the weather gets better I will strip them right back and try again with them, although might try the hot air gun trick for starters.

When you get to the bumpers I reckon you should try the heat gun but, be careful work up the heat
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 23rd, 2018, 19:17   #23
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Something else that is good for reviving plastic unpainted bumpers is WD40 - spray it on and let it soak in then wipe the excess off a few days later.
I tried it on my mower grassbox, originally black plastic that had been sun-bleached to a very pale grey. It's black again now after living through this summer outside after the WD treatment!
Yup Dave ... it's the silicone feeding the oils in the plastic. 'Back to Black' used to be full of silicone but they clearly changed the brew and now it f useless! If anyone who wants 6 free cans come on down!! Bob.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 23rd, 2018, 19:20   #24
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllHailKingVolvo View Post
The bumpers of my 1990 744 were sunbaked almost white when I got it. I fed it with WD40 for weeks which helped, then finished and sealed it with Gtechniq C4. Outrageously expensive but made my plastics look like new, absolutely brilliant stuff. Really made the car look lovely, great finishing touch.
Did you end up with glossy black? They should be 'about' matt black.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 23rd, 2018, 21:28   #25
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
Haven't yet quite worked out those mirrors yet on an 'F' plate Dave. No 1 how did someone get standard black mirrors on a silver door faceplate - a near impossible task?
Look again Bob. They're not standard black mirrors. They're meant to be body-coloured mirrors, as per standard 760GLE spec (the 740GLE had black ones) and if you can see in that pic, some of the BLACKBOARD PAINT is flaking off and the Silver-Green body-colour can be seen underneath.

Either way that black 5h17e has to be rubbed off and the mirror casings smoothed out but i'd like to either put them back to 403-03 Silver-Green with the rest of the car or .......

......... i have some chrome, self-adhesive film, Fablon type stuff. If i can work out how to stretch/pull the film while applying just enough heat from a heat gun or hairdryer to bend it smoothly round the compound curves of the mirror body/back-shell, i'd like chrome door mirrors.

There have been several things altered/removed for either no apparent reason or a badly misdiagnosed reason on this car. For example, the oil cooler between the block and the filter, the A/C evaporator from the heater box, the jacking pad on the front crossmember - all missing when i got it.

That's really the point i was trying to make. There's no knowing what a previous owner has done, it's possible on one persons car it has suffered a frontal shunt and been treated to a newer or older set of front end panels/lights etc.

Sometimes the front end swaps are done because the owner really wants the look of a different aged model - for example i know of several Mk2 Rover 800s with Mk1 bonnets and grills.
I can see why people would like that idea and did for a while toy with that idea on my Sterling but the blackboard paint on the door mirrors of my 765?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 23rd, 2018, 23:36   #26
DOUGIE68

I have a 91 760gle V6 that is very original, my bumpers are black.
DOUGIE68 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DOUGIE68 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 24th, 2018, 00:18   #27
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
Did you end up with glossy black? They should be 'about' matt black.
I didn't quite get them all the way to black, more a flat very dark grey. Not glossy, Matt as you said-I will give the heat gun treatment in the spring followed by another dose of C4.
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 24th, 2018, 00:35   #28
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUGIE68 View Post
I have a 91 760gle V6 that is very original, my bumpers are black.
Unless you've owned it from new or known every minute of that cars life from new, you can't be 100% sure it's very original.

Maybe a previous owner decided he wanted black bumpers, same as the previous owner of mine decided he wanted black door mirrors. Both bumpers and mirrors should be body colour on the 760 GLE, as befits the rage-topping car of the time.

Of course, if your car is black then it has got body-colour bumpers!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 24th, 2018, 01:33   #29
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Unless you've owned it from new or known every minute of that cars life from new, you can't be 100% sure it's very original.

Maybe a previous owner decided he wanted black bumpers, same as the previous owner of mine decided he wanted black door mirrors. Both bumpers and mirrors should be body colour on the 760 GLE, as befits the rage-topping car of the time.

That's where I have the advantage having picked up this one new out of the then local Main Dealer. Of course then I knew FA about its innards or things like LH2.4, Nivos, sagging headliners/vdo/Y'zaki clusters, etc.

Naturally, the then latest version of Haynes was no help as it took them another 13 years or so to publish an edition that dealt with a 1990 740 car, so it took a while to work out what the animal was when the time came that I had to deal with it myself or get shot of it!!

Of course, if you car is red and all other trim is black (inside and out) it's quite a good selling point. The contrast is quite stunning when it's all clean... something that doesn't often occur!!

That's my lot until after Christmas, and have a good one y'all.

Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 25th, 2018, 12:26   #30
DOUGIE68

Quote:

My 760 GLE V6 is silver, it has silver mirrors and black bumpers. Its only had the one previous owner. Its as original as you can get right down to the "Volvo" branded Gloria fire extinguisher and overmats. Only a Volvo dealer has serviced it and repaired it using Volvo parts. even the new rear springs and shocks are Volvo branded.

Trouble is I cant make up my mind whether to break it or MOT it. I`ve fixed the ABS issue and done a mod to get past the heater fan intermittent behaviour. It needs a front number plate and a bit more time to find where the air leak is that come and goes causing a misfire and rich running.

Last edited by DOUGIE68; Dec 25th, 2018 at 12:29.
DOUGIE68 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DOUGIE68 For This Useful Post: