Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Mounting of bushings in reaction rods/torque rods, back axle

Views : 468

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 1st, 2019, 15:45   #1
Volvo Jensen

Default Mounting of bushings in reaction rods/torque rods, back axle

Hello
This is my first post on the Forum of the Volvo Owners Club

I am changing the bushes in the reaction rods/torque rods (the links between body and upper side of back axle, that has four equal bushings). These are just a little more than 50% filled with rubber, with solid rubber on opposite sides, and recesses in between, about one quarter of a circle each.

Should the bushes be mounted with the solid rubber forward/backward?
This is the direction, that holds the forces of driving/acceleration/braking. But will this be felt in the car, as hard?

Or should they be mounted 90° different, with rubber up/down, and the recesses forward/backward? Are they meant to be this way, to be a bit softer?

My thought was the first mentioned. I actually have the Haynes book, and it says the other way. Can I trust this? After all, people do mistakes, and also translation could be wrong?

Please forgive if I write knotty (I'm not english, but norwegian)

Last edited by Volvo Jensen; Jan 1st, 2019 at 16:00.
Volvo Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 10:25   #2
Volvo Jensen

I've checked with the Haynes book again, and it says like "Make sure the flat side of the bushing is parallell to the rod before pressing it in".

Maybe I understood this wrong, that it rather means the solid rubber forward/backward? As on the same level, or height, as the rod? Instead of having it up/down?

Last edited by Volvo Jensen; Jan 2nd, 2019 at 10:43.
Old Jan 3rd, 2019, 09:12   #3
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

I've always assumed it means that the solid rubber should be in line with the rod. If not then I don't see how it can control the push/pull reaction from the axle trying to twist.

The early type of rod, regarded as much sturdier than the later kind, has solid rubber round 360 degrees.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2019, 20:40   #4
Volvo Jensen

Yes, I googled it, and saw several pictures of worn bushings, and also new bushings, in the rod. They were all mounted this way, rubber forward/back. That took away my doubt.

This makes sense, and is also how I thought they should be. But unnecessary cumbersome language in the book (in swedish though, but I usually understand it well) made me have some doubt, it could have been quite clear.

So I forced them in with bolt, nut and washers (a tough job, don't have a vice, just barely managed it), and then went straight to the garage, today, to show the faults on the car had been mended, and get the approval a car needs every second year.

The old bushings were mounted wrong, two with rubber up/down (these had the inner sleeve moving freely forward/backward). The two others neither up/down or front/back, but something between!
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 15:02   #5
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Those rubber bushes do not last long.

Best bet is replace with poly or find a pair of the early arms.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2019, 10:11   #6
Volvo Jensen

Well maybe not, I hope they last some years. All I know is the old ones lasted at least five or six years (I've owned the car since 2012, a "clunk" sound from the backaxle had been there for a while now). One of them had a visible stamp "Scantech". My new ones are from the producer "Optimal".

Yes, I thought of it, after having started on the job, how much easier it would have been to just change the reactionrods, if one could find some with not worn bushings. I even have a parts car!

Then you also need to know, the reactionrod came in three different lengths (according to Haynes book).
Old Jan 5th, 2019, 10:15   #7
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

In my experience they last about 50,000 miles, or two years in the days when I was doing a higher mileage.

I keep a spare pair salvaged from a previous car, ready bushed. When one wears out, I just swap in the new one, and then at leisure hacksaw out the old bushes and press in new ones to go into store in readiness.
Old Jan 5th, 2019, 11:24   #8
Volvo Jensen

I would be well satisfied with 50.000 miles/80.000 km, since they cost the equivalent of 11.22£/piece. Now I don't always opt for cheap, as I know, in general, there are much car parts with low quality on the market today. I could have gotten them from Volvo, but the price was equivalent of 42.79£/piece!

Good idea, to have a pair ready, if doing that much miles. I hope to "retire" this 240 from daily driving, in order to save it. I just haven't got the extra parking space.

Last edited by Volvo Jensen; Jan 5th, 2019 at 11:47.
Old Jan 5th, 2019, 12:31   #9
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo Jensen View Post

Then you also need to know, the reactionrod came in three different lengths (according to Haynes book).
They are all the same length. Just 2 designs first early ones have solid rubber hour glass bushes. Later arms as you have are fitted with the void bushes.

Haynes can be good at getting details wrong
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2019, 17:31   #10
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

It's true Haynes does say there are three different lengths, but I suspect there is only one standard size.
Enthusiasts use different lengths to retain the axle/prop geometry when they lower the suspension. There are adjustable ones available on ebay.