Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

40 Series recalls

Views : 86069

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 1st, 2004, 15:04   #1
Bob
Club Director

Default 40 Series recalls

All S40 and V40 series cars that are Model Year 2003/4 are being recalled. This only affects the petrol engine versions, as there is a *possible* fuel leak issue. Owners are being contacted by thier Volvo dealers to have the cars checked. If you have not yet been informed then contact your dealer.

Note: There is no safety issue with this.

Bob Isaac
Forum Admin
robert.isaac@volvoclub.org.uk
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bob For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 05:08   #2
joe90

I don't know whether or not this is the same problem.

A few weeks before Christmas whilst picking my daughter up, I began to smell fuel, as I was only half a mile from home (foolishly) I decided to continue. I made it home, parked on he drive, left the engine running and lifted the bonnet. I was imediately covered in a fine sparay of atomised fuel. I quickly switched the engine off. On closer inspection I found the the end of the high pressure fuel rail (2.0T) had blown off. The engine compartment was awash with neat fuel. I count myself as extremely lucky that it had not founds its way to the turbo !!!

If it is the same problem then how can Volvo say it is NOT a safety issue ?
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 02:31   #3
joe90

I received the Volvo recall notification today and YES, it is the same problem that I experienced before Christmas.

What is really disturbing though, is that the notification states that Volvo are not aware of any instances where this problem has become an issue. As my vehicle was off the road for a number of days and Volvo picked-up the hire car costs under warranty. I am amazed that they can make such claims.

I would advise anyone with an affected vehicle to take it immediately to your dealer and have it checked.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 02:27   #4
joe90

Further Update

The wording of there recall campaign letter and press relseases make it sound like a dripping tap. When in fact, failure of the drain valve on the end of the fuel rail results in atomised fuel being sprayed around the engine compartment under high pressure.

After writing to Volvo Customer Services, I received a telephone call from them. Apparantly because no vehicles have actually caught fire (yet) They can "honestly claim that no incidents have occured" her words, not mine!

Old May 31st, 2004, 13:27   #5
mdjohnst

Hi

Is this all petrol models or just a selected range.?

Thanks

Matt
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 20:15   #6
webbie

Default RE: 40 Series recalls

my 2003 V40 2.0 T was affected by this, but I checked today and it had already been recalled and rectified before I purchsed it.
webbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 18:41   #7
Jimny33

Is it all the petrol cars then or just the turbos?
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 17:37   #8
Multiplex

Default RE: 40 Series recalls

Any petrol engine with the plastic fuel rail could be affectes i lam lead to beleve.
Multiplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 20:35   #9
Rin

Unhappy 2004 S40 BF Goodrich Tire Problem

I have 27,000 miles on my 04 S40 and since day 1 I have complained about my car pulling to the right. The steering wheel also shakes. The dealer tells me it is the tires causing the problem and that it is a known issue with BFGoodrich and S40s. and I need to take this up with BFGoodrich. I've "Googled" this with no hits....have you heard of this issue? I would like to get it resolved b4 my 30K mile warranty expires.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 17:33   #10
J2R

Does this affect '02 Models?