Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wet footwell

Views : 765

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 12th, 2018, 17:15   #1
karlB

Default Wet footwell

Good am / pm which ever you are.

So this afternoon I got into the car to find the footwell 1/2" deep in water so I looked on the obvious ( youtube ) to see how to fix the problem, so I then went back out to the car armed with a drain hole prodder i.e. one of her knitting needles and a bottle of water, opened sunroof to look for the drain holes which I eventually found, I could see that there was some muck build up around both the holes so gave them a prod with the knitting needle and managed to get it down the holes but not that far maybe 3" or 75mm if you like metric, so next was to try and see if I had unblocked anything, I doubted it, and I was right the water stayed where I had poured it, so action No2, passenger door pillar off, I could tell the previous had had it off but anyway, dirty brown looking rubber tube looking at me so I gave a good stare back to see if the tube had come out of the lower connection down by the dashboard, hard to see if you don't have good lighting, anyway the joint was fine, so this pointed to it being a blockage, so action No3, I had seen on the tube some had cut the dirty brown rubber tube and put a joint into it to get to the blockage by means of blowing it free, at this point I dont have the luxury of have any new tube to splice it with, so I looked for a top joint, I couldn't get my hand up past the headlining to see If it was accessible, next move I pulled the rubber that secures the headlining and door pillar a bit further back which allowed the headlining to be moved down enough to get my hand up and feel the joint at the sunroof part, it was very easy now I could get a hand to it, so a little pull on the dirty brown rubber tube and it came off ok but I did get wet with the water I had earlier poured into the sunroof, and quick shuffle away from it was needed, so now I had the upper end of the tube in my hand, quick wipe of the end and a blow down it told me it was blocked up but a sharp blow of lung power soon cleared it, happy days, shoved the tube back on the top fixing and clipped it back into place, bit of head lining pushed back and the pillar on and rubber door seal pushed back on, I was confident this time that the water test would flow down and away as it should and it did, took me just 5 munites to do the other side, hope this will be helpful to anyone in the wet footwell situation.

Last edited by karlB; Aug 12th, 2018 at 17:22.
karlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2018, 13:06   #2
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Thanks.
Sunroof drain issue is unfortunately a common occurance on our cars, good you managed to fix it. A bit of advice though - often clogged drain&puddle on the floor means that there is a lot of moist/water on your CEM (passenger footwell under glovebox - car's brain). If it starts corroding, you will be subject to any random issue you may imagine, from wipers going berserk, horn honking randomly or car going full "I give up" in the middle of the road.
If I were you, I would disconnect battery, dismount CEM and clean/dry/contact cleaner spray it to prevent future issues.
Old Aug 13th, 2018, 13:42   #3
Petey80
Premier Member

Good job, glad you got it sorted.

However, I hate to be the bearer of bad news and say that you have probably only temporarily cleared the blockage.

The knuckle/wind trap that you refer too that is located in the corner of the dashboard, nearest the windscreen is the main culprit for blocking up and allowing water into the cabin.

This is what I did to rectify the issue - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...&postcount=301

Thread V40 T2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...56#post2901756
Thread V50 D2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264890 - CRASHED
Petey80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Petey80 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 13th, 2018, 14:05   #4
karlB

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey80 View Post
Good job, glad you got it sorted.

However, I hate to be the bearer of bad news and say that you have probably only temporarily cleared the blockage.

The knuckle/wind trap that you refer too that is located in the corner of the dashboard, nearest the windscreen is the main culprit for blocking up and allowing water into the cabin.

This is what I did to rectify the issue - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...&postcount=301

Petey you must not have understood what I have wrote / typed, I disconnected the tube from the uppermost joint at the sunroof end and cleared it from there all the way through both sides.

Last edited by karlB; Aug 13th, 2018 at 14:09.
Old Aug 13th, 2018, 14:08   #5
karlB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
Thanks.
Sunroof drain issue is unfortunately a common occurance on our cars, good you managed to fix it. A bit of advice though - often clogged drain&puddle on the floor means that there is a lot of moist/water on your CEM (passenger footwell under glovebox - car's brain). If it starts corroding, you will be subject to any random issue you may imagine, from wipers going berserk, horn honking randomly or car going full "I give up" in the middle of the road.
If I were you, I would disconnect battery, dismount CEM and clean/dry/contact cleaner spray it to prevent future issues.
Fortunately it was the drivers side, not 100% sure if there is anything electrical to damage on that side in the footwell ?
Old Aug 13th, 2018, 14:18   #6
Petey80
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlB View Post
Petey you must not have understood what I have wrote / typed, I disconnected the tube from the uppermost joint at the sunroof end and cleared it from there all the way through both sides.
Yes, I understood that, but 9 times out of 10 it is the knuckle/wind trap in the corner of the dashboard that blocks up rather than the actual drain tube.

That is why the water remained in the tube and you got wet when you removed it from the upper end nearest the sunroof.

Blowing down the tube will have removed the blockage from the knuckle/wind trap, but not opening it wider as per my method will mean it will block up again.

Thread V40 T2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...56#post2901756
Thread V50 D2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264890 - CRASHED
Petey80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2018, 17:19   #7
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlB View Post
Fortunately it was the drivers side, not 100% sure if there is anything electrical to damage on that side in the footwell ?
No, shouldnt be, but just to be safe - check with hand if there are any wet patches around p/s under-glovebox area. Better safe than sorry.
Old Aug 13th, 2018, 18:44   #8
karlB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey80 View Post
Yes, I understood that, but 9 times out of 10 it is the knuckle/wind trap in the corner of the dashboard that blocks up rather than the actual drain tube.

That is why the water remained in the tube and you got wet when you removed it from the upper end nearest the sunroof.

Blowing down the tube will have removed the blockage from the knuckle/wind trap, but not opening it wider as per my method will mean it will block up again.

Well when I did blow down it it certainly unblocked just fine, plumbed it back up and water tested it and the water flowed out under the car as it should, very happy with it, and should it block up again I know it will only take a few minutes to solve the problem.
Old Aug 11th, 2019, 10:30   #9
David Jarman

Default V40 D2 water in pass footwell

Hi there I have a Volvo V40 D2, 2014,heater steaming front screen,water ingress pass footwell , to rectify fault there is a air con drain in drivers side footwell,
You will find the pipe,under drivers carpet,you will need to unblock leaves,
To do this either use an air line,vac pump,or in my case a bit of pipe,
Blow or suck on pipe ,you might get a mouth full of leaves lol ,but did the trick.
Now more water getting through and building up into pass footwell,
Hope it’s helps guys.
David Jarman is offline   Reply With Quote