Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members CarsBlogs Help Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T4 behaving differently

Views : 187

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Aug 12th, 2018, 22:05   #1
M88JCP
Junior Member
 
M88JCP's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 15:37
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Birmingham
Default T4 behaving differently

Evening all

I'm after some more advice please?

Lately I have noticed that my cooling fan is coming on every time the car is used. If i drive for more than 5 minutes the cooling fan is coming on, staying on for a few minutes, stopping and then coming back on. If i stop the car and turn off the ignition, the cooling fan turns off, but if i turn the ignition back on, the fan will restart for a minute or so. Is this normal and just a result of this weather? I have recently replaced my thermostat (genuine Volvo) and replaced my coolant with Prestone ready to use. The temperature gauge goes to half way very quickly from cold, and hasn't gone above this, even is slow traffic.

Also, with the latest heatwave I have started to use my aircon, normally i just open the windows and sunroof!! I have noticed that when i turn my aircon on, the ECC kicks out ice cold air, but my engine starts to idle erratically and the car feels like it surges in power when driving at speed. When i turn my A/C back off, the car returns to running normally.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this as i'm getting abit worried by it!!

Thanks as always
James
__________________
2001 V40 T4 Auto Sport Lux
125k Desert Wind Metallic, Black Leather with electric drivers seat and Gloss black trim, Winter Pack, Factory Xenon's, Sunroof, 17" Arcadia alloys, Premium Sound, ECC, Cruise control

Last edited by M88JCP; Aug 12th, 2018 at 22:10.
M88JCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2018, 23:07   #2
magnuz
Ancient
 
magnuz's Avatar
 

Last Online: Aug 16th, 2018 20:07
Join Date: May 2012
Location: chesterfield
Default

The fan running when it shouldn't can sometimes be caused by issues with the MAF sensor. Check connections, & give it a clean inside by spraying it with switch cleaner !
magnuz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to magnuz For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 12th, 2018, 23:51   #3
V40T4R
Member
 

Last Online: Aug 16th, 2018 01:54
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Porto
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M88JCP View Post
Evening all

I'm after some more advice please?

Lately I have noticed that my cooling fan is coming on every time the car is used. If i drive for more than 5 minutes the cooling fan is coming on, staying on for a few minutes, stopping and then coming back on. If i stop the car and turn off the ignition, the cooling fan turns off, but if i turn the ignition back on, the fan will restart for a minute or so. Is this normal and just a result of this weather? I have recently replaced my thermostat (genuine Volvo) and replaced my coolant with Prestone ready to use. The temperature gauge goes to half way very quickly from cold, and hasn't gone above this, even is slow traffic.

Also, with the latest heatwave I have started to use my aircon, normally i just open the windows and sunroof!! I have noticed that when i turn my aircon on, the ECC kicks out ice cold air, but my engine starts to idle erratically and the car feels like it surges in power when driving at speed. When i turn my A/C back off, the car returns to running normally.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this as i'm getting abit worried by it!!

Thanks as always
James
Hi,

I would bet the engine cooling temperature sensor is playing up...just a thought!
__________________
Phase 1 MY99 V40 T4 B4194T@17psi
V40T4R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V40T4R For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 13th, 2018, 15:32   #4
Baffler
Premier Member
 
Baffler's Avatar
 

Last Online: Aug 13th, 2018 15:34
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Co. Limerick, Ireland
Default

When was the Idle Air Control Valve & Throttle Body butterfly valve last serviced? I'd be checking those before replacing anything
__________________
Liam...

'96 854 TDI SE (D5252T/M56)
'99 V70 2.5D S (D5252T/M56)
'98 V70 2.5T SE LHD (B5254T/AW50-42)
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2018, 20:29   #5
M88JCP
Junior Member
 
M88JCP's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 15:37
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Birmingham
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffler View Post
When was the Idle Air Control Valve & Throttle Body butterfly valve last serviced? I'd be checking those before replacing anything
Hi Liam

They were cleaned about 3 months ago, so wouldn't hurt to clean them again!
__________________
2001 V40 T4 Auto Sport Lux
125k Desert Wind Metallic, Black Leather with electric drivers seat and Gloss black trim, Winter Pack, Factory Xenon's, Sunroof, 17" Arcadia alloys, Premium Sound, ECC, Cruise control
M88JCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2018, 18:54   #6
pierremcalpine
Premier Member
 
pierremcalpine's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 14:19
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto Canada
Default

The fan coming on seems normal enough to me. With any kind of summer weather mine routinely comes on very regularly. It's loud enough that it's also somewhat annoying. What you want to watch is that the needle makes its way to 12 o'clock and then stays there firmly. if it starts to wander past 12 or doesn't make it's way to 12 then you have an issue.

As for the AC it's normal enough to feel the engine push a bit harder as the clutch kicks on. I would describe normal behavior as a bit of a shudder with each cycle of on off. You should not notice it while driving but if you are idling you would definitely notice it. Anything beyond a shudder and I would look into whether the compressor is on its way out and/or is insufficiently lubricated with compressor oil.

For what it's worth I've always found that my V40 performs best between 18-21deg C. When it gets very hot, it just seems a tad more sluggish to me. I've heard that this could be partially remedied with an aftermarket transmission oil cooler but I've got no appetite for such a thing.
__________________
2003 V40 1.9T B4204T4, 185,000miles
2004 S60 2.5T, 160,000miles
2010 V70 3.2, 125,000miles

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides

Last edited by pierremcalpine; Aug 16th, 2018 at 18:58.
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2018, 20:47   #7
M88JCP
Junior Member
 
M88JCP's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 15:37
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Birmingham
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremcalpine View Post
The fan coming on seems normal enough to me. With any kind of summer weather mine routinely comes on very regularly. It's loud enough that it's also somewhat annoying. What you want to watch is that the needle makes its way to 12 o'clock and then stays there firmly. if it starts to wander past 12 or doesn't make it's way to 12 then you have an issue.

As for the AC it's normal enough to feel the engine push a bit harder as the clutch kicks on. I would describe normal behavior as a bit of a shudder with each cycle of on off. You should not notice it while driving but if you are idling you would definitely notice it. Anything beyond a shudder and I would look into whether the compressor is on its way out and/or is insufficiently lubricated with compressor oil.

For what it's worth I've always found that my V40 performs best between 18-21deg C. When it gets very hot, it just seems a tad more sluggish to me. I've heard that this could be partially remedied with an aftermarket transmission oil cooler but I've got no appetite for such a thing.
Thanks pierremcalpine. The news that your car shudders on idle with the aircon on is really reassuring

Re the transmission oil cooler, do you have an automatic or manual car?
__________________
2001 V40 T4 Auto Sport Lux
125k Desert Wind Metallic, Black Leather with electric drivers seat and Gloss black trim, Winter Pack, Factory Xenon's, Sunroof, 17" Arcadia alloys, Premium Sound, ECC, Cruise control
M88JCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2018, 21:23   #8
martin93
Member
 

Last Online: Aug 16th, 2018 21:23
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Dorset
Default

Also, the cooling fan comes on with the AC running to keep the gasses in the condenser cool. So your recent AC use and erratic cooling fan are probably linked.

As for the engine surging when the AC is switched on, my god, you've never experienced an early 1.8 NA Volvo engine with the AC running. It's so tragic it's almost funny. If I'm climbing a gentle hill in mine, in fourth gear doing around 40mph and the AC clutch kicks in, I literally have to change down a gear immediately. It's like someone has instantly dropped a 2 tonne weight in the back. I'd say around 30 of the 115 raging Swedish (ok, Dutch) horses take a dive.

Lord knows how bad an early 1.6 is with this system switched on. That's why I only really switch it on when the temperature gets past around 25 degrees. On the plus side, it's pretty good going that a 20 year old AC system is still going!
__________________
Current: 2017 Volvo V40 D4, 1998 Volvo V40 1.8, 1968 MGB GT,
martin93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2018, 21:32   #9
M88JCP
Junior Member
 
M88JCP's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 15:37
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Birmingham
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin93 View Post
Also, the cooling fan comes on with the AC running to keep the gasses in the condenser cool. So your recent AC use and erratic cooling fan are probably linked.

As for the engine surging when the AC is switched on, my god, you've never experienced an early 1.8 NA Volvo engine with the AC running. It's so tragic it's almost funny. If I'm climbing a gentle hill in mine, in fourth gear doing around 40mph and the AC clutch kicks in, I literally have to change down a gear immediately. It's like someone has instantly dropped a 2 tonne weight in the back. I'd say around 30 of the 115 raging Swedish (ok, Dutch) horses take a dive.

Lord knows how bad an early 1.6 is with this system switched on. That's why I only really switch it on when the temperature gets past around 25 degrees. On the plus side, it's pretty good going that a 20 year old AC system is still going!
Wow i didn't realise!!! I'm still relatively new to the car so still learning but seems i have nothing to fear. If anything i'm lucky the T4 can afford to loose a few horse when at cruising speed!!! Thanks Martin
__________________
2001 V40 T4 Auto Sport Lux
125k Desert Wind Metallic, Black Leather with electric drivers seat and Gloss black trim, Winter Pack, Factory Xenon's, Sunroof, 17" Arcadia alloys, Premium Sound, ECC, Cruise control
M88JCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 16:45.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.