Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 '10> / V60 '11> / XC60 '08>'17 General
Register Members CarsBlogs Help Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

S60 '10> / V60 '11> / XC60 '08>'17 General Forum for the Volvo x60 Series of cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 232432

Replies : 1817

Users Viewing This Thread : Mimibear

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Aug 11th, 2018, 08:13   #1811
iain cooper
Senior Member
 

Last Online: Aug 16th, 2018 14:32
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: argyll and bute
Default

Clan, re the continuous software updating, I don't quite get it ?

if everything is running well as designed with no problems, why update the software continuously ? and surely constantly changing the software could introduce problems that were not there before ?

is it just a ploy to get owners to use only dealers for servicing ?

Iain
__________________
MY15 XC60 D4 FWD SE LUX NAV Geartronic
iain cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2018, 09:06   #1812
Clan
Experienced Member
 
Clan's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 16:13
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: L/H side
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iain cooper View Post
Clan, re the continuous software updating, I don't quite get it ?

if everything is running well as designed with no problems, why update the software continuously ? and surely constantly changing the software could introduce problems that were not there before ?

is it just a ploy to get owners to use only dealers for servicing ?

Iain
If you saw the lines of communication between the dozens of control modules you would be astounded , it's an incredibly complex network system . But that is the designers problem , we can't possibly understand it all together in the car .
99% of it runs as designed of course , but fine tuning is found to be needed to cure some minor undiscovered issues . Interaction unaccounted for in the design may be found later . The safety system is added to as time goes by as fresh accident data comes in , they may alter timings etc .
the emission EGR system has been tweaked a lot to get the cooler and valve working as designed .

Yes only dealers can sort the majority of problems out as they are the only ones with factory training , test equipment and back up , no one else can do anything as they are not trained on the specific systems . The only specialist here is the dealer .
The new xc 90 has been remarkably reliable mechanically , but the software has cured most of the small niggles and problems , that is one of the advantages of an electronic computer controlled car .
the same goes for anything these days .
__________________
My comments are only based on my opinions and vast experience .
Clan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clan For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 11th, 2018, 20:33   #1813
iain cooper
Senior Member
 

Last Online: Aug 16th, 2018 14:32
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: argyll and bute
Default

thanks for the reply and info Clan, maybe I'm just a wee bit cynical ?

Iain
__________________
MY15 XC60 D4 FWD SE LUX NAV Geartronic
iain cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 09:35   #1814
Darren41
New Member
 

Last Online: Aug 15th, 2018 09:35
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Ipswich
Default Egr failure

Hi I have a v60 2014 now well out of warranty with 95000 Miles last week I had a small water loss for the first time ever and now today the dreaded warning light
It has never had any egr issues is this likely to be the dreaded and do you think Volvo will still cover this as it has a full Volvo history
Any comments would be greatly received
Darren41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 09:42   #1815
Clan
Experienced Member
 
Clan's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 16:13
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: L/H side
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren41 View Post
Hi I have a v60 2014 now well out of warranty with 95000 Miles last week I had a small water loss for the first time ever and now today the dreaded warning light
It has never had any egr issues is this likely to be the dreaded and do you think Volvo will still cover this as it has a full Volvo history
Any comments would be greatly received
yes it is possible there maybe still help available on the EGR system , but you need to let them see what the problem is first , and advise you ...
__________________
My comments are only based on my opinions and vast experience .
Clan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 10:27   #1816
Chrisv60
Junior Member
 

Last Online: Today 14:19
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Home
Default

You've done well to get it to last that long.

However, the EGR issue isn't usually associated with water loss, so it may be that you have a different problem or two problems at once!
__________________
V60 D4 SE Lux MY15 Savile Grey, winter pack & tints.
Chrisv60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 13:51   #1817
Mimibear
New Member
 

Last Online: Today 15:49
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Manchester
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimibear View Post
Performance did not improve in fact deteriorated significantly. It was back at the same main dealer today who reported a pipe to the turbo was disconnected. Have assured me the original issue and new issue are resolved plus an even newer ECU map has been applied. Let's hope this third attempt at a fix was successful!
Almost 3 months of trouble-free miles and then the dreaded light came on again, followed by the tantrum from the Mrs about why oh why did you buy this blo**dy car and so on...

Back to our local maindealer who reports ECM-PO14C00-02 O2 sensor requires clean. They have removed, cleaned and refitted. Also upgraded ECM software. I don't which version of software it was on previously, nor now, but it would be interesting to know if forum members have found if any particular version is the best.

I hope this is the permanent fix (as I was assured it was last time), what will be next after a dirty O2 sensor I wonder
Mimibear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 13:55   #1818
Clan
Experienced Member
 
Clan's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 16:13
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: L/H side
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimibear View Post
Almost 3 months of trouble-free miles and then the dreaded light came on again, followed by the tantrum from the Mrs about why oh why did you buy this blo**dy car and so on...

Back to our local maindealer who reports ECM-PO14C00-02 O2 sensor requires clean. They have removed, cleaned and refitted. Also upgraded ECM software. I don't which version of software it was on previously, nor now, but it would be interesting to know if forum members have found if any particular version is the best.

I hope this is the permanent fix (as I was assured it was last time), what will be next after a dirty O2 sensor I wonder
The latest is always the best version , you have no choice in which software goes in it is always the latest , your latest software contains a fix for the dirty lambda sensor , it has not been out long .
__________________
My comments are only based on my opinions and vast experience .
Clan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clan For This Useful Post:
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (1 members and 2 guests)
Mimibear
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 16:44.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.