Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Do you use your air con?

Views : 10208

Replies : 108

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Do use air con...
Mostly always on all year. 171 73.39%
Only when it's really hot. 47 20.17%
No it does not work and not bothered about it. 8 3.43%
Uses to much fuel, open the window. 2 0.86%
It works but still never use it even if really hot. 5 2.15%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 2nd, 2018, 22:39   #51
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
I've had and used ac constantly for 25 years and never needed to do any maintenance other than the odd regas.
Funny you should call it maintenance - many service schedules recommend evacuating the system, renewing the dryer, evacuating the system again and regassing - every 2 years or 24k miles.

This keeps the oil in the compressor fresh, adds leak detector, sealant and the right amount of gas every 2 years keeping the inside of the system as clean, fresh and dry as it should be.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2018, 21:08   #52
phil1968
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Funny you should call it maintenance - many service schedules recommend evacuating the system, renewing the dryer, evacuating the system again and regassing - every 2 years or 24k miles.

This keeps the oil in the compressor fresh, adds leak detector, sealant and the right amount of gas every 2 years keeping the inside of the system as clean, fresh and dry as it should be.
As an airconditioning engineer I can tell you that you only need replace the drier when the system is broken into, for instance to replace the compressor. Replacing it & evacuating / re-gassing on such a regular basis is completely unnecessary

2008 C70 D5 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
phil1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phil1968 For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2018, 22:10   #53
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1968 View Post
As an airconditioning engineer I can tell you that you only need replace the drier when the system is broken into, for instance to replace the compressor. Replacing it & evacuating / re-gassing on such a regular basis is completely unnecessary
Probably a ploy by the manufacturers to get more service costs but can i ask, are you automotive, commercial or industrial air-con Phil?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old May 3rd, 2018, 23:20   #54
phil1968
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Probably a ploy by the manufacturers to get more service costs but can i ask, are you automotive, commercial or industrial air-con Phil?
Yes I agree All 3, but primarily commercial.

2008 C70 D5 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
phil1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phil1968 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 16:39   #55
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Must admit the air con in my old BMW had been a boon last few days, black with black leather means it's a furnace when the door is open first trip of the day!
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 21:10   #56
Delta66

When I had a car with AC, I used it primarily when it was hot and to demist the car. I would not go more than a week without running it for 20 minutes or so.
Delta66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 21:25   #57
ma70
Curmudgeon with a turbo

Use it or lose it IMO, there's been a feature in Car Mechanics mag this month about fixing AC & it seems the myth is still going strong that you lose 10% off your economy when its running... :/ Maybe on older systems/low powered cars it can have an effect, but I think the (small) amount of fuel to drive the compressor as well as the alt/PAS pump etc already running is well worth it on something like a D5 with 163bhp & would be less than the fuel wasted by driving with windows open (ruining aerodynamics) for a start. Not to mention the benefits of demisting etc when it's not so warm out.

All in all, I think keeping it running on auto has far more benefits than any saving in fuel could offer even if it did take a couple of mpg off our average.

Just as an aside, do the people who refuse to use their AC on grounds of fuel saving also disconnect their vacuum pump on diesel cars, after all the brakes would just need a bit more of a shove and think of the savings! lol

Last edited by ma70; Aug 3rd, 2018 at 21:27.
ma70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ma70 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 21:53   #58
ma70
Curmudgeon with a turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post
I just use mine when I need it.

The problem with setting a temperature and leaving it on AUTO is that it's just so bl**dy noisy all the time.

My S40 just wacks the fans on full and will keep it like that till it reaches the temperature I've set, then it dials back a bit, but never down to 'low' speeds which I'd like. It's just a primitive, annoying system IMO!
Sounds to me like there's a sensor issue with your system, our '06 S80 bumps the speed up a bit when it's bringing the temp in line with what's requested but soon drops down to a whisper again. Also how fresh is the pollen filter? that can make the fan noisier/run harder than it needs if blocked. Or there's the possibility the fan is just noisy on yours.

Certainly wouldn't equate the word noisy with climate control, especially compared with having windows open.
ma70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 22:21   #59
DSK
C70 T5

I never really use aircon, only this year its been REALLY hot.

When in crawling/slow traffic I switch it on (e.g M25/M1 rush hour). Once were above 50mph and flowing then I like the heat and open the sunroof and and/or windows.

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
1998 S70R / 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
2007 Mercedes CLS 320 CDI / 2011 Mercedes S350 Bluetec
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 23:15   #60
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma70 View Post
Sounds to me like there's a sensor issue with your system, our '06 S80 bumps the speed up a bit when it's bringing the temp in line with what's requested but soon drops down to a whisper again. Also how fresh is the pollen filter? that can make the fan noisier/run harder than it needs if blocked. Or there's the possibility the fan is just noisy on yours.

Certainly wouldn't equate the word noisy with climate control, especially compared with having windows open.
I couldn't find the quote you were replying to above but it sounds very like the person you were responding to needs to get his A/C regassed - all symptoms point to that!