Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What are the best tyres to put on an XC90?

Views : 817066

Replies : 1193

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 23rd, 2016, 17:38   #1031
xco
Premier Member

Good choice You wont be sorry and I reckon an ideal tyre for where you live.
Wherever you go............There you are!!!
xco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xco For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2016, 19:44   #1032
tasr12

Spoke to soon - picked up the car last night. Went to order today and all Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS seem to have disappeared!!!! Any XC90 owners recently fitted new tyres?!

Pity!
tasr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2016, 20:06   #1033
osullivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasr12 View Post
Spoke to soon - picked up the car last night. Went to order today and all Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS seem to have disappeared!!!! Any XC90 owners recently fitted new tyres?!

Pity!
http://www.oponeo.co.uk/
osullivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 16:13   #1034
Ade2015

Hi all.
Time for some new tyres and keen on the Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS after reading feedback on this thread.
I have 19" vulcanis wheels that take 255/50 R19 tyres and was ideally looking for 107 W rated tyres. The closest I can find in the above tyre is a 103 V rated one in the Porsche N0 spec.
Is the 103 V rating ok for an XC90, and can anyone foresee any issues fitting a tyre with a Porsche rating on the sidewall?
I think they should be fine, but would be interested in others thoughts or if anyone has used these tyres on a 19" rim.
Cheers.
Ade2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 23:49   #1035
xco
Premier Member

See www.camskill.co.uk

Pirelli tyres/All Season SUV 4x4/Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season-255/55 R19 111H XL TL ....(see the entry for 55 not 50)

£114.60 per corner at the moment.

I would always go for an XL option tyre as I have found being rated for extra load even if you dont need it it tends to iron out some bounce /rebound on pot holes etc. because the tyre wall is reinforced to take it......just my experience......Oh and the c and c ratings are debatable....I've caught myself out with late braking several times ....enough now to know its not a problem....I like 'em!

You may also want to consider trying a nitrogen fill in your tyres instead of air....I thought it a gimmick at first but have come to enjoy the better ride quality because 39psi of nitrogen stays that as its inert so doesn't expand ( the pressure doesn't change as the tyre heats up or cools down)....the only downside is if you lose some of the gas but I haven't experienced that yet.

Really??..... A "W" rated tyre ??.....168mph? ....on an XC90?? .... H rating is 130mph ....where do you intend to do that?? 111 indicates load carrying capacity of 1090kgs....is that not enough for you??
Wherever you go............There you are!!!

Last edited by xco; Dec 13th, 2016 at 00:08.
xco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2016, 01:00   #1036
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by xco View Post

A "W" rated tyre ??.....168mph? ....on an XC90?? .... H rating is 130mph ....where do you intend to do that??
Don't forget the speed rating is only valid for 600 seconds at maximum before theoretical carcase failure, it does not mean that is the effective speed the tyre can be used at, its only the max before failure.

Its all been discussed/argued, disagreed before at length, along with insurance considerations, but thats all another can of worms
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TruckbusUK For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2016, 05:40   #1037
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckbusUK View Post
Its all been discussed/argued, disagreed before at length, along with insurance considerations, but thats all another can of worms
Be aware of legislative requirements in your local country of residence.

In my country, the tyre must be rated for the maximum possible speed of the vehicle, by law.

Reason: it is possible for you to drive at any speed up to the maximum vehicle speed, the tyres must be able to handle it. It's a safety requirement. And pretty logical too.

At any time I can pop over to Germany and drive at my maximum vehicle speed of 210 kmph (130 mph). Totally legally. So my tyres better be capable of it.

And it is an automatic fail at the vehicle inspection check if the tyres are not sufficiently rated for what the car can do.

But that's my country of residence, your's may be different.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2016, 11:24   #1038
tasr12

So all was sorted - left to be fitted while I was away and came back to a car that had Pirelli Scorpion Verdes fitted not Scorpion Verde All Seasons as was ordered and as was listed on the invoice. Spoke to the outlet and they now say they can't get hold of All Seasons for another 10 weeks but they acknowledge they've fitted the wrong tyres.

They have offered to remove and replace my old tyres - less than ideal as they are worn or do I leave the summer Scorpions on and accept a £50 refund. I spent time looking in to the tyres and decided I wanted the All Seasons but they seem to be in short supply at the moment. I suppose a third option is order the tyres seperately and get them to fit those instead of re-fitting the old tyres but it's turning in to a bit of an epic.

Don't know if they hoped I wouldn't notice and just fitted the Scorpions anyway but frustrating!

Any views on the summer Scorpion Verde's welcomed if anyone has used them.
Old Dec 13th, 2016, 14:56   #1039
tasr12

[QUOTE=tasr12;2208139] I suppose a third option is order the tyres separately and get them to fit those instead of re-fitting the old tyres

I've spoken to them but they won't do this as company policy is not to fit anyone else's tyres - but they are happy to put my old ones back on which are on the legal limit?!

They have offered a 50% discount on the ones they did fit but leaves me with tyres I wasn't really after.

Unhelpful practically- if financially an offer!
Old Dec 13th, 2016, 16:06   #1040
WonderBloke

Default Tyre Choice and Sizing

Hi All

New to the forum having just purchased my first XC90.. I have read at least 40 odd pages of this thread.. and searched..

I have been looking for tyre size upgrades on my current rim. I have the 17inch XC90 rim and they are currently fitted with end of life scorpions @ 235/65 r17..

Mine is a geartronic so the last thing I want to do is stress that too much.. or scrape inside the arches.. I am old school, Landcruiser/Shogun/Delica/Patrol where doing anything had little to no risk... My world has changed..

So, my old life is hard to shake and I would like to put a little more rubber down.... Anyone have any experience of running 245/65 r17? rolling diameter difference is just .5 of an inch.. 29.04 against 29.54..

Also, the Goodyear wrangler AT SA plus looks a good tyre, anyone have any experience of it?

I live out in the sticks and I need the XC90 to get me round the property...
WonderBloke is offline   Reply With Quote