Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo Boat engine

Views : 1637

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 20th, 2006, 20:35   #1
charlotte001

What difference is there between a Volvo car/truck engine and the Volvo Penta Boat engine?

Can I stick a car engine in a boat as long as it's marinised

Charlotte
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 20:48   #2
740Estate
Undercover 740

Yup.

Although 'Marinised' would not only mean waterproofing it.
I'd imagine You'd have to baffle the oil sump, etc or maybe go dry sump.
-- Harry Carpenter, BBC TV, Boat Race 1977.
------------------------------------------------
Slidin' it round past the apex of reality
740Estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 21:21   #3
Engineer
Rubbing son is racing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotte001 View Post
What difference is there between a Volvo car/truck engine and the Volvo Penta Boat engine?

Can I stick a car engine in a boat as long as it's marinised

Charlotte
Hi C I guess it depends on what engine your talking about but I have fitted a 360GLT B200 in replacement for a (B21) Penta unit in a 40 foot cruiser no difference in the engine or fitment only the ancillaries hope this helps.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 17:59   #4
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

when i worked on the canals building boats we used standard Ford Fiesta diesel engines straight from the crate, the only mods we done was change the pipework so it sucked the water straight from the canal instead of having a radiator.

We didn't waterproof any of the components. I've had several jetski's & done some REALLY stupid stuff with speed boats as well & never managed to get the water level in the engine compartment even to the top of the sump so all the engine should be well clear of any water that may get into there
Pedro Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 19:00   #5
Mudhook

Default Volvo boat engines

Some interesting stuff here.

To answer the original poster's question, many of the current generation of Volvo boat diesels (eg 2001, 2002 and 2003 - not years but model numbers) are actually Perkins-designed units.

Marinisation is, as has been mentionioned, to do with cooling water supply, the fitment of heat exchangers, sacrificial anodes inside the cooling system, etc. Also the exhaust is frequently cooled and silenced by the injection of cooling water, necessitating an injection elbow to introduce the water to the exhaust flow, dowstream (and downhill) from the manifold. Exhaust systems are usually a bit complicated with at least two water traps to stop waves coming back up the exhaust pipe. Cooling water pumps are usually rubber impeller types that need regular servicing to stay reliable. Most boat diesels I have encountered are wet sump designs. Gearboxes are another subject, as is the black art of propeller sizing.

Way back in the mist of time, fishing boat and canal barge skippers would swear by the reliability of Swedish-built Bolinder engines. These were bizarre "hot-bulb" types that were often nearly impossible to start. However once they ran, they ran forever and a day. The same engines featured in tractors of the period (pre and post WW2). Bolinder eventually became earth-mover manufacturer AB Bolinder-Munktell, still building these heavy-duty but simple engines. Volvo bought out Bolinder-Munktell (in the 1950s), which is why Volvo earth-moving equipment is to this day called Volvo-BM. In the 1960s and 1970s Volvo began building a line of small, heavily-constructed and very reliable diesels for small boat use, which carried the mantle of the early Bolinders to such a degree that they were widely known as "Baby Bolinders". Some of these motors are still running despite continuous use for over 30 years, including my own 1972 MD7A model. Spares are still widely available.

Sadly, the current generation of Volvo boat engines doesn't enjoy quite the reputation of the Bolinders and Baby Bolinders, but they are still very fine products. They don't seem to bear much resemblance to any Volvo car engine I've seen.

Regards, Mudhook
Mudhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 20:07   #6
Engineer
Rubbing son is racing....

Good info on the history I can confirm your story relating to poor starting the original carb on this boat was out of the arc to say the least “pump choke” lol. We replaced it with a twin choke 360 unit which cured this problem, the reason for the failure of the original B21 engine was the engine water pump impeller had collapsed, new price for a replacement from Penta £300 plus same pump as a car unit except for the inlet or outlet port (can’t remember which) we modified a Volvo car unit and fitted that for around £58.
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 11:16   #7
Mudhook

Default Volvo boat spares prices

Yes, I forgot to say that Volvo Penta boat diesel spares are among the most expensive on the planet. Many folk won't use 'em for that reason alone. Others source pattern parts, and we've all been down that road. However it has to be said that the Volvo Penta parts system is first class - e.g. a set of piston rings for my 1970s engine flown in from Sweden overnight for 24H collection. You pays your money...

Regards, Mudhook
Mudhook is offline   Reply With Quote