Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help!! Volvo 1989 340 GL automatic gear box.

Views : 3477

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 21st, 2004, 07:50   #11
wjp01908

Default RE: Help!! Volvo 1989 340 GL automatic gear box.

Hi Pete

It`s OK to be mechanically inept - most people running old cars start off like this. You`ll pick up a lot of info and skills dealing with problems as they occur.

You just need to avoid being swayed by the "beyond economical repair" argument" (and with decent 340s going for £100 or so this will be most things)and get the spanners out.

Learning how to do things for yourself and the feeling of achievment when things go right is worth a great deal, as is being able to pass on knowledge gained to help out other people.

"I have this horrible feeling that by next year I will know how to dismantle this car and rebuild it using a toothpick. "

This is probably a fairly good guess.

Has the carb started playing silly buggers yet?.......
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 12:36   #12
nazih

Default auto gear problem

hello MR BOB AND ALL MEMBERS , I am very sorry about my first post today . this is the first time to work at net , so i was discomfited , my englishlanguage not good . I say hello to everybody in the volvo community . again I AM VERY VERY SORRY . and thank you for all .
nazih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 14:04   #13
harpulina

Default 340 auto troubles

Hi just got onto your forum and glad to have some help with your comments , I'm in the same boat as ichinen and feel all at sea, done a hundred miles in it now and getting used to engine being more or less constantly at 3400 revs, but not sure I should be. I have 91 gl model and I expect all solutions youve offered ichinen will apply to me. will keep an eye on this site and will get back to you with anything I find out. now to check out what I've read here. Good to know your all around, harpulina, in bradford.
harpulina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 14:49   #14
harpulina

Thumbs up 340 auto harpo

Hallo all, tried all your tests on vacuum pipes valves etc all was well even the kickdown gas peddle altho just a rectangl hole beneath like ichenens.
just drove to doncaster today on 650 and seemed to go a lot better maybe becose I felt a lot better after tests, also didnt give it so much gas and seemed to go better. still not sure about the overdrive tho, ease off pedal at 50 and rev counter stays pretty much the same unless i drop of f speed
thanks for advice everyone. Harpo, Bradford
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 15:13   #15
harpulina

Default 340cvt

Hallo guys
vibration from transmission, whats the most likely troublespot cheers harpo
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 03:55   #16
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

I'm glad to hear the CVT is behaving a little better. I'm thinking of getting hold of a CVT car myself, so I can get a better grasp on how the system works, and what goes wrong with it.

Is the vibration linked to engine speed (i.e. RPM) or road speed...or neither?

On manual 340s, it's not uncommon for the shaft leading out of the bellhousing to become bent, causing the propshaft to wobble. I don't know if the same is true of CVTs, but I expect so. It could also be worn gearbox mounts (assuming the box mounts like a manual), worn belts (again, I believe)....or any number of other things!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 14:50   #17
harpulina

Default vibration

Thanks for interest Foggy, when I take foot off the pedal seems the main time I get the vibes Cheers Harpo
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 18:44   #18
Clan
Experienced Member

the vibration is usualy very worn drive belts ... even teeth missing!
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 01:17   #19
petefarrell360

The drive units actually mount with adjustment on bolts on a rigid frame, so, there aren't mounts to fail as such, however, it could be adusted out of line. Vibrations could be caused by missing weights on the drive units, as they are balanced from the factory, like the propshaft is, but these weights only stick on also with a small indent, and have a habit of falling off eventually. Considering the speed these units rotate, vibrations caused by being out of balance isn't unlikely.

Pete
petefarrell360 is offline   Reply With Quote