Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

BP Ultimate Octane 102!! £11/Gallon

Views : 1688

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 25th, 2006, 15:00   #1
Oli
VOC Member

Default BP Ultimate Octane 102!! £11/Gallon

Is this the next must have upgrade for your T4/T5/T6 or R?

Big performance claims from using this fuel, but seems you need a remap to get the best from it. As it's available in Maidstone, perhaps some comparison tests could be done at the SW Autos open day in May.

http://www.bp.com/genericsection.do?...tentId=7017179

And at £2.50/l or £11/gallon it could be viewed as a cheap upgrade for a weekend buzz, or an expensive fuel that most people won't be able to notice any difference from.

Eco friendly to boot.

Anybody tired it yet?

Oli
Oli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 15:05   #2
James_N
VOC Member

for 99% of cars, it wont make a crap of difference. and i certainly wouldnt be paying that! obviously for ferrari/aston owners, it doesnt matter, but i'd be sticking to optimax / tesco 99ron.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 15:21   #3
ex air mech

Ditto,
I have used 'Avgas 100LL' in car and motorcycle and it made no noticeable difference.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 15:21   #4
Oli
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_N
for 99% of cars, it wont make a crap of difference. and i certainly wouldnt be paying that! obviously for ferrari/aston owners, it doesnt matter, but i'd be sticking to optimax / tesco 99ron.
That guy with the Porsche GT you saw the other day is probably in the target market, although it didn't look like he needed it.

Oli

Last edited by Oli; Apr 25th, 2006 at 15:27.
Oli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 15:22   #5
dodgyken
Master Member

Talking

"Computer says No"

:-D
dodgyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 15:30   #6
James_N
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli
That guy with the Porche GT you saw the other day is probably in the target market, although it didn't look like he needed it.

Oli
yeah, but i dont think £2.42 a litre will bother him if he can afford the carrera GT
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 15:36   #7
bobcat
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli
Is this the next must have upgrade for your T4/T5/T6 or R?

Big performance claims from using this fuel, but seems you need a remap to get the best from it. As it's available in Maidstone, perhaps some comparison tests could be done at the SW Autos open day in May.

http://www.bp.com/genericsection.do?...tentId=7017179

And at £2.50/l or £11/gallon it could be viewed as a cheap upgrade for a weekend buzz, or an expensive fuel that most people won't be able to notice any difference from.

Eco friendly to boot.

Anybody tired it yet?

Oli
no need for that, stuart from swautos runs over 110 octane fuel when he races in "the 850R", and the best bit!! - the additive costs (well to him) the same as normal unleaded, so you can have race fuel for the same price as asda 95 ron!!
Volvo 850R Auto,173K,Bobcat\SW Autos Ecu,18T,Reverse IC,13 Row Engine Oil Cooler,39 Row ATF Cooler,20psi VDO Boost Gauge,6000k HID's (low), Osram 50% Silverstars (High),ITG Filter,OEM Strutbrace,Aerial Down Switch,302mm Front Discs,Ferodo DS2500 Front/Rear,Goodridge SS Hoses,Koni Adjustable Dampers,Eibach Pro Kit, Powerflex Control Arm Bushes, Clear Side Repeaters.
http://www.swautos.co.uk
SW Auto's Ebay Shop
http://www.volvo-tech.co.uk
bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 17:37   #8
Engineer
Rubbing son is racing....

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat
no need for that, stuart from swautos runs over 110 octane fuel when he races in "the 850R", and the best bit!! - the additive costs (well to him) the same as normal unleaded, so you can have race fuel for the same price as asda 95 ron!!
From what I can gather Matt this fuel ain’t just about octane it’s also to do with the chemistry make up which gives an increase in bhp & torque much like the pump fuel used in F1. Could be marketing on the part of BP of course but tests would be interesting to see, perhaps the peeps with rolling roads could oblige, failing that I might try a tank full lol.
Old May 10th, 2006, 09:52   #9
Ross9
Master Member

Probably wont make much if any difference to most cars in terms of performance.

It depends if they have the ability to alter their ignition timing etc to take advantage of better fuel when it's in the car, to get the best from it the car should be properly set up on the fuel it will use, and you cant map for 102 RON for the weekends and then use the car with 98 RON the rest of the time, unless you just pootled around all the time.

I never used to notice ANY difference whatsoever in the Rover with higher octane levels. I just used Higher octane fuel for safety's sake due to the AFR of 12.5-12.9 it ran just in case it had any det on event days etc.

The scooby is mapped for 100 RON jap fuel, so I always use optimax, and octane booster for events as well. It does have the capacity to alter the ignition timing etc for better fuel, however I dont think it would last long if I put 95 RON in and went and hooned around lol, theres only so much the ECU can do as standard.

Ross
Old May 10th, 2006, 11:39   #10
bobcat
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer
From what I can gather Matt this fuel ain’t just about octane it’s also to do with the chemistry make up which gives an increase in bhp & torque much like the pump fuel used in F1. Could be marketing on the part of BP of course but tests would be interesting to see, perhaps the peeps with rolling roads could oblige, failing that I might try a tank full lol.
from what ive read it does look that way, but it just seems its fuel that meets a racing spec and that added all these tricks to stay within the spec but get the best possible performance.

for us regular drivers, it would just make more sense to run the higher octane fuel i mentioned above as this would lower the chances of detonation as mentioned by ross and allow us to run more boost + advance the ign (map permitting). and for those of us that will soon be running multiple switchable maps on their ecu, this is even better as they will be able to flick between maps.
Volvo 850R Auto,173K,Bobcat\SW Autos Ecu,18T,Reverse IC,13 Row Engine Oil Cooler,39 Row ATF Cooler,20psi VDO Boost Gauge,6000k HID's (low), Osram 50% Silverstars (High),ITG Filter,OEM Strutbrace,Aerial Down Switch,302mm Front Discs,Ferodo DS2500 Front/Rear,Goodridge SS Hoses,Koni Adjustable Dampers,Eibach Pro Kit, Powerflex Control Arm Bushes, Clear Side Repeaters.
http://www.swautos.co.uk
SW Auto's Ebay Shop
http://www.volvo-tech.co.uk
bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote