Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help, Help, Help, degreaser in my engine

Views : 692

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 17:59   #1
Steve Curtis
super cruising 240

Default Help, Help, Help, degreaser in my engine

Yes I am serious. I was cleaning the rocker box including the rim of the filler part after having replaced the ceal on the oil filler cap. The next day I drained the oil after noticing the sump washer was dripping an when I took the cap off the inside of it was covered in what my father describes as mayonaise. he said he used to get it alot with duckham oil, somthing to do with condensation. similerly I noticed some yellowie speckles in the oil when I had drained it. Now it can only be a realy small amount of degreaser coz I was applying it with a bit of kitchen towel. I had taken the oil cap of before I degreased it an there was no sign of this yellowie ming so I am thinking it must be degreaser.
What effect will this have on my engine

Should I flush the engine or will it just go away with an oil change?

can I drive the car to its M.O.T tomorrow 29.3.06 (5miles max)
Steve Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 18:20   #2
dennisl1
VOC President

Default Degreaser

If as you say you were only using the degreaser on a wipe then you will not have done any harm. Your Dad was quite correct in the describing of the goo as mayonaise and it does come about very often from cars being driven short journeys and not really having a chance to get up to temperature. Condensation builds up and runs into the sump, the oil sits on top of the water and if you check the oil with the dipstick it can show a normal level. Take the car for a long drive to see Aunty in the country so the engine gets well and truly up to temperature and usually the mayonaise disappears and the oil level drops as the water evaporates. This causes people to think their car has suddenly used a lot of oil but it hasn't, the engine, has just got shot of all the water in the oil and the oil that has actually been used has been used over a much longer period of time.
So if you fill up with fresh oil of the correct grade then you should not experience any problems and try not to do too many short journeys.

BW

Dennis
dennisl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 18:50   #3
Peter D
Peter D

Have you lost any water form the cooling system. If not keep and eye on it and keep cleaning the filler cap and give is a good run. You should give it a good 20 miles prior to the MOT anyway to clean the emmissions up. What type of oil do you use. Report back. Regards Peter
Peter D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 19:38   #4
Steve Curtis
super cruising 240

I've not long had the car. But it looks nice and clean an the guy i bought it from seemed like quite an enthusiast as he had another volvo and an old saab, the tinckering sought so i don't think it will be rubbish oil. It does not appear to be losing water but i have not realy drivern it scence i got it home.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 17:13   #5
Steve Curtis
super cruising 240

Went the realy long way to my M.O.T station this morning. an when i got home the yellow ming had disappeared. Thanks for all the advice an being so prompt. car passed, just had to have the co2 agusted.

best wishs Steve Curtis