Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC70 Running out of fuel

Views : 2522

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 15th, 2016, 17:11   #11
isleaiw
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
That's kind of understandable but your strategy of playing fuel level chicken isn't exactly saving the time that's so precious to you.

Time at the pump to fill up is <5 minutes versus the time taken to sort running out of fuel which is considerably longer I imagine.....

When I was regularly doing big miles (2000 a week), I just accepted that fuelling up was par for the course.
Now I do small miles like your 800 a week and fuelling up doesn't even register as a concern.
Never ran out. Had a couple of interesting journeys but never ran out.

2000 miles a week, 100000 a year? take it your driving was your job? mine was a commute to a full day at work - stopping on way home (or when late on way in!) was not what I wanted to do if I didnt have to.

But as you say, each to their own, we all have our little idiosyncracies.....
isleaiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2016, 17:49   #12
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw View Post
2000 miles a week, 100000 a year? take it your driving was your job? mine was a commute to a full day at work
It was driving then unloading and a bit of installing so quite a few hours on top of the many on the road.
By comparison, I'm now virtually part time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw View Post
we all have our little idiosyncracies.....
True and I have a few myself but given you have a maximum achievable MPG and a finite tank capacity, having an idiosyncrasy that fights mathematics must be stressful.
Old Dec 15th, 2016, 18:08   #13
Robert2
VOC Member

I hate going below 1/4 tank. you're burning the dregs of the tank then, the condensed water and all kinds of ****.

I have never run out of fuel, in 32+ years of motoring, but my car did splutter once on a forecourt!! (breathing on fumes 30+ years ago).

Bad fuel messes with the engine, reduces mpg and power, so its best to do your D5 a favour and keep her topped up.
Old Dec 16th, 2016, 09:01   #14
apersson850
Premier Member

Why do you think you are pumping more water etc. when the tank is almost empty? The fuel pump inlet is at the same level above the tank floor regardless of how many liters of fuel you have in the tank.
If there's water in the tank (there normally is), it doesn't mix with the fuel anyway, but stays below it, since the water is heavier.
Dirt will usually accumulate near the bottom too.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2016, 13:43   #15
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apersson850 View Post
Why do you think you are pumping more water etc. when the tank is almost empty? The fuel pump inlet is at the same level above the tank floor regardless of how many liters of fuel you have in the tank.
If there's water in the tank (there normally is), it doesn't mix with the fuel anyway, but stays below it, since the water is heavier.
Dirt will usually accumulate near the bottom too.
I suspect that the pump intake doesn't sit at the very bottom of the tank and if there is water and contaminants there, it doesn't get picked up by the pump when the tank is full but if you run the level down to the lowest it can be before the pump draws air, the remaining fuel/water etc mixture will slosh around and the contaminants will be more thoroughly mixed with the remaining fuel and be drawn into the pump. Remember that the car is moving and the less fuel in the tank there is will be less stabilised by any anti slosh baffles. So while I do agree that with a filled tank the amount of contamination entering the pump will be minimal, running a very low level in the tank may well increase the rate of contamination entering the pump.
Old Dec 19th, 2016, 11:59   #16
isleaiw
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
It was driving then unloading and a bit of installing so quite a few hours on top of the many on the road.
By comparison, I'm now virtually part time.

True and I have a few myself but given you have a maximum achievable MPG and a finite tank capacity, having an idiosyncrasy that fights mathematics must be stressful.
The possibility of running out of fuel isnt that stressful in the scheme of things. And being an accountant my risks are properly assessed before taking them!
Old Dec 19th, 2016, 17:27   #17
big square car

The possibility of running out of fuel is VERY stressfull in the scheme of things and being a retired airline pilot my risks are properly assessed!! I do not want to run out of fuel at 35000 above the sea on a dark night in my aeroplane!
Neither do I want to run out of fuel in my V70 while buzzing down the motorway in the outside lane at 70mph or while accelerating down the acceleration lane on to the motorway or crossing a busy dual carriageway!
Not only will you cause a massive pileup, you will also loose your power steering and brake servo.
Running out of fuel should be an offence, punishable by points/ fine if you survive!!
big square car is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to big square car For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 20th, 2016, 10:43   #18
apersson850
Premier Member

It is, on the German Autobahn.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2016, 11:02   #19
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Even if you have a fuel gauge malfunction?
Old Dec 20th, 2016, 11:20   #20
isleaiw
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big square car View Post
The possibility of running out of fuel is VERY stressfull in the scheme of things and being a retired airline pilot my risks are properly assessed!! I do not want to run out of fuel at 35000 above the sea on a dark night in my aeroplane!
Neither do I want to run out of fuel in my V70 while buzzing down the motorway in the outside lane at 70mph or while accelerating down the acceleration lane on to the motorway or crossing a busy dual carriageway!
Not only will you cause a massive pileup, you will also loose your power steering and brake servo.
Running out of fuel should be an offence, punishable by points/ fine if you survive!!
I ran out of fuel once when I was 17, the car gave a couple of clues and I ran out of fuel in a car park. So when my car is a bit low, I stick to the inside lane, partly so I can get out of the way and partly as I am going slower to save fuel, and I listen carefully for any indicators that time is up. I wouldnt be bombing down the outside lane if there was a chance I could run out at any time.....

As for the fine / points, you can be prosecuted for driving without due care if the police want to pursue it, but they would have to prove that your gauge was within tolerance as it is possible they dont show an accurate position - and there we are back to the beginning of the thread....

Its all relative but compared to some of the things that have happened in my life in the last 12 months, being a bit low on fuel doesnt even register on the stress scale.