Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Car bricked by dealer after software upgrade

Views : 888

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 29th, 2017, 10:01   #1
Fumanstu

Default Car bricked by dealer after software upgrade

Well I got my 2014 XC70 D5 last week and so far it has been great, the perfect family and fishing car. One thing I did notice was that the maps were out of date so I tried to update via USB which failed with an activation code error. A bit of research recommended a software update so Friday it went into Volvo to be updated. At 4pm when I picked it up, they had a bit of bad news for me. The software had pretty much bricked the car, no display, no Bluetooth, no reverse sensors, no blis, heated seats stuck on etc etc.
Anyways, they said they spoke to Volvo UK and a new screen would be needed to fix the error? Not sure why this would be the case but they are the experts apparently. So I took the car but on the way home I had issues with the collision warning being super sensitive and my steering went really heavy a few times almost like of lost the power steering. So I called them and I'm going to leave the car with them until the new screen arrives as it's not really ideal to drive.
Anyone had anything like this before? Thanks in advance everyone.
Fumanstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2017, 10:42   #2
Tatsfield
Premier Member

That's awful. At least they could provide you with a suitable courtesy car while they fix yours. When the local Volvo dealer serviced my car they let me have a brand new 2017 V70 XC while they serviced my 2012 XC70. Very nice!

When my Sensus system would not take the software update to allow map uploading, Volvo supplied a brand new Sensus sat nav unit free of charge under the warranty and I didn't have to pay for the map upload capability software load either. Their Selekt warranty is the best I have ever encountered.
Old Oct 29th, 2017, 11:14   #3
Fumanstu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
That's awful. At least they could provide you with a suitable courtesy car while they fix yours. When the local Volvo dealer serviced my car they let me have a brand new 2017 V70 XC while they serviced my 2012 XC70. Very nice!

When my Sensus system would not take the software update to allow map uploading, Volvo supplied a brand new Sensus sat nav unit free of charge under the warranty and I didn't have to pay for the map upload capability software load either. Their Selekt warranty is the best I have ever encountered.
Thanks for the reply! Well I had a 2017 V40 for the day while they were working on mine and mine is going back in tomorrow so Ill see what I get! Just hoping it doesn't take too long to fix, part has to come from Sweden so could take a few days

Im sure they will look after me, these things happen I guess.
Old Oct 29th, 2017, 13:30   #4
T-5ones
Not banned, yet!

These things happen and they obviously didnt do it deliberately. As long as they 'come good' for sorting it out.
T-5ones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to T-5ones For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 29th, 2017, 13:43   #5
green van man
Premier Member

Parts in the UK are with the dealer overnight, parts from Sweden are 3 days in my experience.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 29th, 2017, 13:51   #6
Fumanstu

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
Parts in the UK are with the dealer overnight, parts from Sweden are 3 days in my experience.

Paul.
Thanks for the info Paul, fingers crossed parts will be there Tues/Weds then!

The Following User Says Thank You to Fumanstu For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 29th, 2017, 13:58   #7
Rooster
Speed freak

Wonder if they followed the technical journal to the letter when they did it,

Doesn't sound like they did as there is 3 lots of recovery software to put in if it goes pete tong to recover it,

Ive done 6 so far, 2 before the journal the journal release and they went pete tong and ended up with a live link to volvo for them to fix and 4 since its release and out of them 4 only one has caused an issue and was recovered with the 3 bits of software,
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rooster For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 29th, 2017, 14:32   #8
Fumanstu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
Wonder if they followed the technical journal to the letter when they did it,

Doesn't sound like they did as there is 3 lots of recovery software to put in if it goes pete tong to recover it,

Ive done 6 so far, 2 before the journal the journal release and they went pete tong and ended up with a live link to volvo for them to fix and 4 since its release and out of them 4 only one has caused an issue and was recovered with the 3 bits of software,
I spoke to the technician who did it, Ill be honest he didn't fill me with confidence when he was telling me what he'd done. Said he started using a bluetooth link, and then had to go usb, then he lost connection with that so was using both? Im also not convinced about a new screen fixing the issue but we'll see what happens.

Thanks a lot for the great information, surely they will know to use a live link to Volvo if they can do it? Im surprised they hadn't done that already as he said he'd spent all day on my car!

Like I say, these things happen and they have been really helpful and accommodating so far so Im sure they will sort it!
Old Dec 20th, 2017, 09:18   #9
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Update?
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2017, 07:41   #10
volvo for ever
Premier Member

if i can remember its not sceen it gets after locked up im sure its new IAM
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote