Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Michelin Cross Climates

Views : 1171

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 16th, 2017, 12:04   #1
Big Ted

Default Michelin Cross Climates

Decided to treat the XC70 to new rubber as the Nokia’s S’lines are now on their wear bars.
Michelin CrossClimate Climates are now avail in the 235/50/18 size, so I’ve ordered 4 of them from Costco. £150 a corner.
I get them fitted on Weds as they are a special order.

The reviews of the tyre read well, but does anyone run their XC70 on them?

I’ll post up some feedback after a few weeks, but interested to hear of other people’s views on this all season tyre.
Big Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Ted For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 16th, 2017, 12:36   #2
I-S
Premier Member

We have them on our V70, 225/50R17.

Ironically not really tried them out much in this weather, because I've been driving the other car! We had them fitted in summer and they were immediately grippier than previous (Pirelli P7 Cinturato Blue) and felt much more planted. Wet weather grip is excellent, including in the cold (My husband drove us around a bit the other day when it was pelting down and about 3C).

I'm going to have them fitted to the Leaf when its tyres wear out, so there's some sort of vote of confidence.

BTW, at this point what Costco should be selling you (as they did us) is the CrossClimate+, which has a harder-wearing compound apparently.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-S For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 16th, 2017, 14:41   #3
steadvex
Master Member

haven't had them on an XC70, but used them on S60, V60 AWD and a Nissan Leaf, the leaf we had came with Dunlop's from new, terrible tyre, felt downright dangerous at motorway speeds in heavy rain and braking in heavy rain is less than ideal, not good when you live in a hilly area!

Excellent tyres, made progress in snow feel a bit boring on the V60 mind...

For what its worth, every customer I've recommended them from S40's to XC60's has said its improved the car, majority come from Pirelli tyres that were fitted from new, some used budgets because tyre 'experts' had pointed out all tyres are the same

before these I would fit Michelin primacy to the cars I had, its a big upgrade in terms of grip imo, especially in colder weather
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2017, 16:43   #4
Waynedance

Had those on my last car seemed a good tyre.
Old Dec 16th, 2017, 17:58   #5
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

Got the original version on my golf, nice tyres. Excellent grip on road, very quiet, softer smoother ride than the previous Continentals, as y might expect from the frenchies. Not had a lot of mud or snow to know if they are any good on the soft stuff, but a chap in Aberdeen (on here) said they do the job.
Old Dec 17th, 2017, 08:40   #6
Tykebike

When I changed from a 56 plate to a 13 plate V70 I decided that instead of having a set of summer and a set of winter tyres I would have one set - Michelin Cross Climates. I took off the perfectly good summer tyres in September and "gave" them to my friendly mechanic when I had the MCC's fitted.

Living on the steep hills in Sheffield is no joke when it snows - been sledging down the lane and knocked the only lamp post for six in a Passat and the wife has been down one of the roads backwards. Because of this we entered into a love hate relationship with two Jeep Cherokees and one Grand Cherokees which solved the problem.

I digress, earlier this week I took the dog for a walk and drove up a gently sloped county lane that I knew was covered with sheet ice at the bottom but didn't realise that it would be covered in compacted snow for the rest. The tyres coped without a hint of slip and no sign of the traction control coming on. On the return I was wary of coming back down to the T junction with the sheet ice for the last 20 yds, a group of dog walkers on one side and a ditch on the other but nice and slow with very gentle braking ensured we came to a safe stop at the bottom.

When we changed my wife's 07 plate V70 to a 10 plate V50 I was glad to see it has MCC's on the rear and the dealer had put a new pair of Delinite DH2 on the front which have the M+S symbol; we'll have to see how they perform and if necessary change them to MCC's

I came on here to see if anyone had any experience with Thule CU9 chains (as a back up if it gets really bad) so I'll post that elsewhere.

Last edited by Tykebike; Dec 17th, 2017 at 08:46. Reason: Additional info re the V50
Tykebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2017, 23:11   #7
Waderider
Slow git

Default Cross climates on a C30

My wife has a set on her C30. We live on a B road in the Highlands of Scotland and they cope.
Waderider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2017, 12:05   #8
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Popped a set onto the S80. They performed excellently in the recent snow we had.
Grip is good in wet and snow and sure-footed in dry. Road noise is pleasantly low compared to some summer tyres too.

No problems in Belgium either with ice and light snow so I am well pleased so far.

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2017, 10:27   #9
Big Ted

Thanks for all the comments.
Tyres fitted were Cross Climate SUV’s.

I’ve covered about 600 miles over the festive period since they’ve been fitted, but the addition of a large roof box has meant I can’t really comment on their motorway quietness with the wind buffeting the box.
I do notice an increase in noise when driving on wet concrete type surfaces, it sounds like the tyres are sucking the water off the road!! It’s not too intrusive to the cockpit, but it’s noticable.

The grip in the wet has impressed. I’ve carried out a few test emergency stops on some wet country lanes and they pull the car up with no issues.

Looking fwd to getting back to normal in the New Year and then see how the Car performs on it’s early morning commutes through country lanes and a bit of city driving too. This will be the true benchmark, as my driving with 4 up, filled with presents and a roofbox is different to a 6am spirited commute!!
More feedback to follow in a month or so.

Here’s hoping for a hard winter now!!
Big Ted is offline   Reply With Quote