Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

intank fuel pump

Views : 7606

Replies : 227

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 23rd, 2019, 08:38   #41
aardvarkash10
Master Member

So I see we went the chequebook route.

There really are times I wish I'd bought into the motor factors business.
aardvarkash10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post:
Old May 23rd, 2019, 13:26   #42
atco

Default fuel pump

ive taken the top cover of the timing case and when you say the belt might be stripped do you mean there is no teeth on the belt or has it just jumped.ive had a nuther look for that cps on the bell housing and its a no no its not there.but if you can pin point it that would be good.the first marker on the belt dont seem to be lighning up with the marks on the top pulley notch and on the inner top casing cover is this right or is it because the belt has slipped and not stripped
atco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2019, 13:36   #43
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atco View Post
ive taken the top cover of the timing case and when you say the belt might be stripped do you mean there is no teeth on the belt or has it just jumped.ive had a nuther look for that cps on the bell housing and its a no no its not there.but if you can pin point it that would be good.the first marker on the belt dont seem to be lighning up with the marks on the top pulley notch and on the inner top casing cover is this right or is it because the belt has slipped and not stripped
Could be either, you need to turn the engine over by hand, inspecting every bit of the belt. Can't remember the size of the crank pulley bolt, think it's 1" or 25mm off the top of my head but i might be wrong. Taking the plugs out before you start will make it easier to turn.

The marks on the belt only line up when the engine is in the timed position and the chances of it being there are 1:360 minimum as there are 360 degrees in a circle.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2019, 13:52   #44
atco

Default fuel pump

so what your saying is the mark on the belt should line up with the top mark on the inner top cover and pulley.if the mark on the belt is not lining upwith these two top marks then the timing is out
Old May 23rd, 2019, 14:16   #45
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

NO, the timing marks on the belt only line up when the belt is first fitted. The timing marks on the pulleys and timing covers are the ones to check. Have a good look through that thread i linked to, it will make things clearer, there are photos of the timing pulleys, timing marks, different timing covers on the bottom end (the tops are the same through different years) and so on.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old May 24th, 2019, 13:22   #46
atco

Default fuel pump

hi dave.ive just checked the timing marks on the pulley and belts and it looks spot on.so ive got to check for spark .ive taken the plugs and had a look and there looks like there full of fuel so i give them a bit of a clean .is this a indicasion that there is no spark.also im going to take the fuel pipe of from under the car to see if there is fuel being pumped from the fuel pump.is it poss that the fuel fillter is blocked even though its a new one picking up lots of crap from the tank after being stood for a long time.doubt it though for its a plastic tank
Old May 24th, 2019, 13:55   #47
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

Wet plug are not a indicate for no spark.
Remove the plugs. Place them on the head and try to start the engine. You will see easily if there is spark.
There is a other way: Remove the central lead from the dizzy and place this with a few mm distance from the head/body.
If you see no spark, we have a line to follow.

Old fuel will be problem too. Volvo B230 engines will start with bad fuel nevertheless.

Now first check if there is spark. If on central lead check next if there is spark at every plug.
If the engine trys to run on carb spray /brake cleaner there should be spark. Strange.
Do nothing with the pump and the filter if there is no spark!

A lot of next steps will follow.

Have a nice day, Kay

Last edited by mocambique-amazone; May 24th, 2019 at 13:57.
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mocambique-amazone For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2019, 14:19   #48
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Ignore the belts, do the timing marks on the pulleys and timing covers line up?

How much fuel is in the tank at the moment?

Old May 24th, 2019, 14:24   #49
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocambique-amazone View Post
If the engine trys to run on carb spray /brake cleaner there should be spark.
Have a nice day, Kay
Most carb/brake cleaners here no longer contain VOCs Kay (Volatile Organic Compounds) so won't actually fire the engine. I'm not sure it even tried to run on EasyStart which is why i suggested cam timing. No conclusion there either!

Old May 24th, 2019, 15:26   #50
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atco View Post
it wants to start with the easy start.but then fails to.is the intank pump supost to make a noise on the turn of the key or does it stay silent
Please keep this very simple, for me.

What exactly do you mean by it wants to start? Are you hearing something and if so what?

Do you know if power is going to the pump?

I think you said you tested the pump output. How exactly did you do that, was there any output or any indication of the pump attempting to do its job?

In my opinion you either need to get down to basics and diagnose, and that is going to involve getting engaged with the clever people (not me) who are trying to help. As a hint: don't be afraid to throw questions at them if you need to.

Or, get out the cheque book specifically to pay someone to diagnose. Long distance diagnosis is not easy. There are instances of money being spent while forum members are making suggestions, and when the diagnosis turns out to be something simple, even something deliberately but wrongly overlooked by forum experts.

Good luck.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote